Stand Out/Favorite Planes of NEAT 2014 - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 22, 2014, 10:08 AM
It didn't fly .. it is not yet listed on his website .. but Zeke of Park Scale Models showed a framed up plane that I do not think has ever been kitted before. I went into Full Drool Mode

Hint - the full scale used the wing from a XB-15
Last edited by Alan W; Sep 22, 2014 at 11:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2014, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W
It didn't fly .. it is not yet listed on his website .. but Zeke of Park Scale Models showed a framed up plane that I do not think has ever been kitted before

Hint - the full scale used the wing from a XB-15
Sounds like you're talking about the Boeing 314 flying boat he had hanging from his easy-up. Very impressive. Very light build for its size (94"). I'm interested

Rob
Sep 23, 2014, 11:49 AM
Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!

I've always wanted to build a B314 for my Dad .. now that he's passed, I'll build it in his honor.

He was the Film Librarian for Pan Am for over 30 years .. as a kid I spoke to several pilots of the B314 when they would check out materials from the library
Sep 23, 2014, 12:07 PM
That's an awesome idea.

As I alluded to I'm interested in building one too. Naturally you'll do yours in Pan Am colors. I was already planning to go with the Navy scheme so we'd have both variants covered

Rob
Last edited by stangrob; Sep 23, 2014 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Grammar
Sep 23, 2014, 12:51 PM
Sep 23, 2014, 12:56 PM
you should enjoy this then - I just made it public for a few days.

Pan Am Clippers At War 09 Dec 12, 12h52 (44 min 38 sec)
Sep 23, 2014, 01:10 PM
... btw, the guy in the red bathrob @ 18:43 is a young Ray
Sep 24, 2014, 09:10 AM
Alan,

I'm about 2/3 through the video (it's pretty long ) and I've actually learned quite a bit along the way (not to mention the video itself is very cool). I didn't know of Pan Am's relationship with Wake Island, and those interior shots of the B3414 with everyone having dinner as if they were in a land-based restaurant were amazing. I tend to think of air travel nowadays as being stuck in a cigar tube - I think they did a much better job back then of making the passenger comfortable. Again, it was a high-priced affair, but still an apparently awesome experience.

Thanks for sharing!

Rob
Sep 24, 2014, 10:15 AM
kad
kad
Quad Crasher
I think my favorite had to be this one...
Sep 24, 2014, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob
Alan,

I'm about 2/3 through the video (it's pretty long ) and I've actually learned quite a bit along the way (not to mention the video itself is very cool). I didn't know of Pan Am's relationship with Wake Island, and those interior shots of the B3414 with everyone having dinner as if they were in a land-based restaurant were amazing. I tend to think of air travel nowadays as being stuck in a cigar tube - I think they did a much better job back then of making the passenger comfortable. Again, it was a high-priced affair, but still an apparently awesome experience.

Thanks for sharing!

Rob
I may be mistaken, but I think there was some recon work done "unofficially" at that time by the Clippers.
Sep 24, 2014, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob
Alan,

Thanks for sharing!

Rob
Alot of that footage was taken from an even longer film titled "TransPacific" and goes into much greater detail about the building of the routes and each island .. as well as more footage of the flying boats. Its 1.5 hrs long .. I can make it available if anyone has interest.

Juan Trippe spared no expense when designing the B314 and it was beyond first class travel .. Uber-Elite. That includes all the facilities built along the route for support and stay-overs.

Glad you're enjoying it !!
Last edited by Alan W; Sep 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM.
Sep 28, 2014, 12:14 AM
"Free crash instruction"
Congradulations to Dennis and Sergay for sharing their Models. Terry aka Crash!
Last edited by Cr@sh; Oct 03, 2014 at 10:18 PM.