Nov 05, 2014, 05:15 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Very nice build! The kit designer, Brad Sheppard, passed away a few years ago and it's nice to see another example of his design genius about to take to the air. I still have a hand cut Doubler II "kit" from Brad that I may have to dust off. I may even still have my original set of drawings that Brad helped me submit to Sig for making the Double II into three different pylon racers. It was pretty simple really. I just changed the outline of the wing tips, the rudder profile, and the elevator outline, and you had a Shoestring, a Cassutt, or a Pogo. Sig never adopted my ideas, but your build sure has brought back a lot of very good memories. Thanks, and keep up the good work.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2014, 05:51 PM
Just say no to quadcopters
Thread OP
Ahhhh thank you MCD.

I'm getting close now. Only a few details to finish then a radio install will all that needs to be done in order to be airworthy.

I think I will go to an automotive paint supply and buy some 1/2" black professional pin striping and 1/4" red to mimic the paint scheme on the box, only with stripes instead of a solid black field. Then a race number on the left wing as described earlier.

Lastly I will epoxy/micro balloon the tail surfaces on (that way my gap fill on the horizontal leading edge/fuse will be white in color).

I have some of those fuel line springs coming in the mail so that I can redo the fuel supply line.
Nov 06, 2014, 05:42 PM
Team Fearless
She looks sweet!!! Great build job.

Shawn
Nov 26, 2014, 09:44 AM
Thread OP
What kind of torque rating would I need for the rudder and elevator servos?

I think I will install a standard size for the ailerons. I have two GWS Pico/BB servos NIP that I was thinking could be used in this plane? I will check their torque rating when I get home.

Any recommendations/suggestions, torque wise?
Nov 26, 2014, 08:39 PM
Thread OP
Oh geez those pico naro servos aren't going in this plane. 11 oz/in of torque.
Maybe one for the throttle LOL
Nov 27, 2014, 02:43 AM
I would recommend the HS-65HB, or the 81 ones for something a little stronger.
Nov 30, 2014, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris
I would recommend the HS-65HB, or the 81 ones for something a little stronger.
+1 on the HS81 servos!

Great servo at a good price, plus they take standard servo arms. I use them on everything from 1/2A to .19 powered planes. I have so many that I keep servo gear sets in stock, just in case. They only strip when I screw up!
Aug 20, 2019, 12:31 AM
Hey King. What ever happened to this build.

Oh by the way I haven't built mine yet either hahaha.
Aug 20, 2019, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
Well...... it just sits. It needs a radio installed, the tail group glued on, and some more stripes or graphics. I look at it everyday from the sofa LOL
Aug 20, 2019, 11:11 PM
Well at least you're honest hahaha.

It looks pretty good. Perhaps you should finish it

Quick Reply