Oct 19, 2014, 10:00 PM
Just say no to quadcopters
Thread OP
Thank you my Friend.
I cannot figure out how to do the 25 square checkerboard pattern as seen on the vertical fin of the model on the box cover/ instruction guide front cover.
I cannot lay out a sheet of mask and cut it while on the fin for fear of the inevitable cutting through into the covering/balsa fin. I think I might visit a vinyl sign shop and get a little bit of the clear mask that holds together vinyl transfers that have been cut by a plotter. Then layout the checkerboard grid and apply it to the fin. Not sure if that transfer film has enough tack to it.
After the mask is applied I would then need to burnish the econokote with 0000 steel wool in order for the paint to stick that would be a chore in itself in order to get into the corners of each square then clean all of the steel wool fibers/dust to start painting.

There is always the option of NO checkerboard LOL
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM
There is always the Hobby King checkerboard ____Kote. or the Wally Mart duct tape :-)
Oct 20, 2014, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Abuser
What do you think of the small elevator? The original designer didn't have dual rates or the ability to digitally dial in the amount of throws. I imagine this one will have to land a tad hot to keep the elevator functioning.
The one I had back in the day with "heavy" radio gear and running a "heavy Cossi"
was well mannered in landing. You didnt have to bring it in "hot".
Nice flying airplane. Not as fast as a Prather Toni but slowed down equally as well for slow soft landings.
This Doubler is very nimble also. great sport plane. Oh, by the way. we did have Dual rates back then.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:03 PM
Old Submariner

Checker Covering

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Plane
Thank you my Friend.
I cannot figure out how to do the 25 square checkerboard pattern as seen on the vertical fin of the model on the box cover/ instruction guide front cover.
I cannot lay out a sheet of mask and cut it while on the fin for fear of the inevitable cutting through into the covering/balsa fin. I think I might visit a vinyl sign shop and get a little bit of the clear mask that holds together vinyl transfers that have been cut by a plotter. Then layout the checkerboard grid and apply it to the fin. Not sure if that transfer film has enough tack to it.
After the mask is applied I would then need to burnish the econokote with 0000 steel wool in order for the paint to stick that would be a chore in itself in order to get into the corners of each square then clean all of the steel wool fibers/dust to start painting.

There is always the option of NO checkerboard LOL
Maybe I missed something, Horizon Ultracote has all sizes, colors and single color/clear rolls of covering.

Tom
Oct 20, 2014, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
Not sure what you are referring to Tom? I have the plane covered so I don't need any further colors or clear covering of the Ultracote you refer to.
Oct 20, 2014, 02:01 PM
There are two articles about hot to apply checkerboard using iron on covering. One is on RC Universe in the Tips and construction forum and Model Airplane News on line has an article also. They are both very informative.
Oct 20, 2014, 02:30 PM
Thread OP
Thank you I will 'check' them out when I have a moment.
The tapered grid is what is preventing me from using trim tape LOL
Oct 20, 2014, 03:21 PM
Nitro User
My first 4ch transmitter by Kraft was in 1972 and didn't have dual rates the Doubler was designed back in the 60's. I use mow lawns to buy my gear such as 4ch Futaba mid 70's, think I had a 2ch by MRC too.. no dual rates. I imagine most didn't have dual rates unless it was a 6ch? I was 11 when I snagged a Kraft = ) didn't get to actually fly with it for about another year later. I wish I had kept a few of those old radios would be fun to open up the back and marvel over the large solder joints and components.
Oct 20, 2014, 03:30 PM
team sleprock
try this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=8NhLZ-4V1pM
Oct 20, 2014, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid
Wow thanks for that video link. I believe using that method the tapered checkerboard pattern that I want to put on the tail of the Doubler II will be doable, even by me. And I have two left hands (I'm right handed too LOL)
Oct 20, 2014, 09:35 PM
Thread OP
I used RC56 glue to adhere the top hatch to the wing last night.
I have the canopy cut out. I'm thinking about spraying the inside, rear half, with black paint. Pics show white but I don't particularly want to buy a can of white Lustrekote just for this one step.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:37 PM
team sleprock
use lite coats, I have had paint warp a canopy, trying ta cover with first coat!
Oct 21, 2014, 04:35 AM
I just found this thread today. I have a Doubler II kit, nib. If anyone is interested, please respond.

Thanks.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:39 AM
Thread OP
You also found it on September 20 post #34
Oct 21, 2014, 02:14 PM
Old Submariner

Addressing "Checkerboard" Fin & Rudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Plane
Not sure what you are referring to Tom? I have the plane covered so I don't need any further colors or clear covering of the Ultracote you refer to.
My understanding from post' were that you wanted to checkerboard the fin & rudder.

I know you are already covered, the Ultracote I referred to is, checkerboard in red/clear, yellow/clear, black/clear, white/clear and is meant to be applied OVER existing covering which allows the base covering to show thru to make red/base, yellow/base, black/base, red/base, yellow/base etc .

Tom

Quick Reply