Sep 23, 2014, 02:18 PM
Just say no to quadcopters
Thread OP
The plans show the fuselage sides being a 'drawn out curve' if that helps.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2014, 02:29 PM
Okey, then it should not be a problem...
Sep 23, 2014, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer
Your looking at an old school build. This is the way it was done in the '60's/'70's. To many of us, it is a normal build progression to add all the parts now before the fuselage sides are joined, especially with Sig kits. ................

Hogflyer
Old school, huh!! I suppose being Old School is just as good as being an Old [email protected] I'm sure I qualify for both.

And yes, I still build that way ---- everything on, box in the front end, trim and sand the rear then pull together on a center line.
Sep 23, 2014, 04:14 PM
Thread OP
I had a few minutes in between shifts to mock up the fuselage. Damn it is stiff! Might have to use some water to allow the sides to bend nicely.
Sep 24, 2014, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
The shape of the fuselage on this airplane is gonna be sweet!!!
I'm liking the torpedo/cigar shape it is taking on. Plus, after all of the planking and blocking gets glued on, there is some severe rounding to take place on the corners of the fuselage.

Anyhow I got the two main formers that make up the fuselage glued in, F-3 and F-6

Also the firewall has been epoxied in, F-2 and F-2A, along with the landing gear plate. Next I will line up and glue the fuselage sides together at the tail.

I think I will use Elmer's wood glue to put stick the top and bottom, cross grain sheeting in place since it sands a lot easier than Ca does.
Sep 26, 2014, 10:04 AM
Thread OP
Another installment of the most boring build thread on RCG.

I was able to glue together the fuselage halves at the tail.
I then laid on the 1/8" bottom sheeting, adhering it with carpenters glue.
Next was to cut two slots in the fuselage sides. These slots form the front and rear of the turtle deck that sits atop the wing. I put waxed paper in the slots and then glued in the formers (F4, F5). These formers are the front and rear of the deck.

Next up is the top sheeting. I need to go to the LHS and I buy a piece of 1/8" balsa as I didn't like the piece that was in the kit.
Sep 30, 2014, 07:50 PM
The first plane I ever saw my dad fly was a Doubler II with an Enya .15 in it. Seemed impossibly fast to me as a noob.

He punched hole in the side of someone's house with it that day.
Sep 30, 2014, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
Wow that's some memory the Doubler II left you with

I have been fitting the engine in the now built fuselage. This kit was made for the bigger engines (physical size) that were back in the day. The 15cva is a bit small. I had to move the motor mount forward with a 1/2" standoff that I made with my new scroll saw

I've also been making a heck of a lot of dust shaping this bird!

I have all of the printed wood parts cut out too.

Starting on the wheel pants now
Oct 01, 2014, 01:11 AM
I love it when you just have to use a new tool to do something haha.

Looking good though.
Oct 03, 2014, 12:15 PM
Known Wind User
It's coming along very nicely! I am back on the forums after being away for a bit.
Oct 07, 2014, 08:33 AM
Thread OP
Well it's starting to resemble an airplane.

Under the top hatch that is fixed to the wing is the nylon wing hold-down bolts. Apparently these remain captive. The instructions suggest using model rocket body tubes for this step. Well I didn't have any so after a visit to the LHS I realized why kids nowadays don't shoot off model rockets. THE COST!!!! Needless to say I didn't return home with any body tubes. So I rolled my own out of 1/32" balsa.
After the top hatch is glued to the wing, I will drill holes just large enough for the blade of a screwdriver.

Next up its time to shape the tail surfaces and start covering with white Econkote.
Oct 07, 2014, 03:54 PM
Looking good. Your tubes look better than some cardboard ones anyway
Oct 07, 2014, 09:28 PM
Thread OP
Put some film on today.
Oct 08, 2014, 12:05 AM
team sleprock
been lurking, always wanted one, looking very sharp!!!!!
Oct 08, 2014, 07:28 AM
Thread OP
Thanks all. Thanks for lurking too

Quick Reply