Sep 15, 2014, 11:33 PM
I don't want to sound weird or anything hahaha but now i'm getting excited hahaha
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2014, 08:02 AM
Team Fearless
Looks like you are off to great start!
SIG makes some nice kits. I've built a few their control line kits and a Somethin Extra.

Here are some pics of my old Something Extra.

Shawn
Sep 16, 2014, 01:26 PM
I built and flew a Doubler II back in the late 70's. the same one as this build, I really had a lot of fun with it. I have another NIB. I used a sliding aileron servo way back then to give me flaperons. Seemed I needed to to get off the pavement fast enough before it ground looped on me.
With today's equipment it will be a blast. Looking forward to your build.
Sep 17, 2014, 07:39 AM
Just say no to quadcopters
Thread OP
Last evening I was able to ad the upper TE sheeting. The 1/8"x5/32" TE needed some tapering to blend with the airfoil. I absolutely hate knocking off the tops of the ribs with an errant stroke of the sanding block, so I use blue painters masking tape placed right at the rib/TE joint.

I used Ca glue for attaching the 1-1/2" TE sheeting.

I moved to the 3" wide LE sheeting. The long edge was beveled for a tighter joint where sheeting meets 5/16" square LE stock. I used wood glue to bond the long edge only. In my experience, a lot can go wrong very quickly using super glue at this step. I like the way that wood glue sands when final shaping/blending too.

Next I will wet the LE sheeting and finish adhering it with Ca glue
Sep 17, 2014, 12:48 PM
Known Wind User
Nice looking build. Subscribed!

Nothing like vintage balsa and spruce!

Cheers, martini
Sep 17, 2014, 01:57 PM
Thread OP
Nice to have you here my Friend!
Sep 17, 2014, 02:56 PM
Nitro User
Old balsa dries out over the years so this one will be light once complete.
Sep 17, 2014, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
After the airframe is complete with all but the radio installed I will take it to the post office and have it scaled. I will then report back with the weight
Sep 17, 2014, 04:55 PM
Thread OP
I made some progress this morning before my career got in the way.

I wet the balsa leading edge sheeting and rolled it back. Held it down with the bar sander until the instant medium viscosity glue held on. Next was the center sheeting which covers a total of three rib bays. Lastly, the eight rib caps were cut and bonded. After removing from the balsa building board I finished glueing the LE sheeting to the individual ribs with thin Ca from the underside.

With everything looking satisfactory to this point I cut off each individual rib stand located at the trailing edge. Then the blue tape was added to each rib just ahead of the point where the rib stand connected to the rib. This protected each rib from my sanding block as I cleaned up the airfoil in preparation for the lower TE sheeting.
Sep 18, 2014, 09:21 PM
Nice work. Will be a nice looking plane when she is all done.
Sep 18, 2014, 09:55 PM
Thread OP
Thank you all for following along

Today I accomplished some more construction on the wing after work.

First up was the aileron hinge support blocks. The trailing edge is so thin that there isn't much for the hinge to get a hold of so the plans show adding filler balsa in one rib bay on each half of the wing. Interesting that the outer aileron hinge happens to go right at the TE/rib junction. 2 hinges per aileron is all that is needed.
Well I happen to have some pre-shaped aileron stock so I cut two pieces for filler. With an additional thickness of 1/16" sheet added it was just about right to fill the void between upper and lower TE sheeting. (Seen in Picture 2)

I pinned the wing down to my building board, through each rib, in order to keep it flat as I applied the sheeting.
After locating the lower TE sheet where I wanted it I used some blue painters tape in several spots to act as hinges so I could just lift the sheet, apply medium Ca glue to ribs/TE and then fold it back down into place perfectly, the first time. (Pics 1&2)

I pinned the wing down to my building board, upside down, at the very point of the leading edge (that will mostly be sanded off during shaping) in order to keep the wing FLAT as I applied the sheeting for the LE.
Next was beveling one long edge for the lower LE sheeting. After fitting it I glued the edge that butts against the square LE stock, this time with Ca. A little water applied with a sponge , and the sheet conformed to the ribs and was bonded with Ca glue. Center sheeting and rib caps and the hardest part of the wing construction is now behind me.

Last thing I was able to accomplish while there was good daylight was to trim the wingtip ends and sand them flat. I trued the trailing edge up with my 24" aluminum sanding board. (Picture 5)
Sep 19, 2014, 05:26 AM
Nitro User
WTG on the wing build lookin good!

Found this today for all to see.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:21 AM
Thread OP
I cut and glue the trailing edge tips onto the wing this morning. Cut the four hinge slots in the trailing edge with my 'slot machine'

Earlier in the week I scored this sweet Delta scroll saw on the local craigslist. $50.
Was barely used as the cord is still in the wrapper and the motor and windings have no sawdust in them. Just need to get to the home store and buy some blades so that I can start cutting out the thick print wood in the kit.
Sep 19, 2014, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
Was able to build the wing trailing edge center section containing the aileron torque rods.
The torque rods are long, seemingly. I suppose I could have changed them out with new ones, but why bother?
Bearing tubes have been epoxied into the trailing edge stock in the picture.
Sep 19, 2014, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
Oops

Quick Reply