Dec 10, 2014, 07:48 AM
a.k.a. skcope
Sturla-
It is wonderful to see the phoenix rising from the ashes! I have admired your PBY for years and particularly enjoyed the video featuring Smari Karlsson. Connecting our present day to our past via model building is what scale modeling is all about! Keep up the good work; I'll be watching.
Cheers,
Scott
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2014, 07:42 PM
Thread OP
It was an honour to know Smári, he was one of the first pilots in Iceland and he loved flying the PBY. Sadly he passed away earlier this year.

Now the wing has also come together. I also want to mention that the attachment of the outer wings I made are much stronger than the tube, this didn't break when my PBY crashed.
The first photos of this DC-3 album show this construction.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YhR6EGLZ58eo8tb42
Last edited by sturla; Jun 11, 2019 at 05:05 AM.
Dec 26, 2014, 08:00 PM
Wow, it's amazing watching this bird come back together! If it had been mine, I probably would have buried it where it lay. Very nice rebuild!
Dec 28, 2014, 07:18 PM
a.k.a. skcope
Sturla-
So sorry to hear that Smári passed away this year. Rebuilding your Catalina is a wonderful way to honor his memory. Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
Scott
Jan 21, 2015, 05:00 PM
Thread OP
I've been to fix the landing gear on my PBY last days. Had to put a new servo for wheels push-outs arms, without them wheels not going out.

I am offering landing gears in much more quality than this proto-type, I try to simulate the original push-outs arms.

Best regards,
Sturla

www.rcsturla.com
Feb 02, 2015, 02:27 PM
Thread OP
The wheels go up and down, air tubes and servo wires come to the right place.
Those who want the details may see this albums.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2PLWvs8rbwFvgwd52

Best regards,
Sturla

www.rcsturla.com
Last edited by sturla; Jun 11, 2019 at 05:07 AM.
Feb 02, 2015, 02:29 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nice work Sturla ! i admire your devotion to the rebuild after the crash.

Keep up the good work.

Bart
Apr 11, 2015, 10:48 AM
Thread OP

Cat in the making in California - part #2

Just thought I'd share how Mel in California is going with his Cat.
The pilot seats are in and we can see one machine gun in the blister so far. It looks like it's coming together well and it is starting to look like a Catalina with the gun turret and windshield cage done.
Apr 19, 2015, 03:22 PM
Thread OP

More about the re-build on my Cat.

Now wood work done, ready for filler and sanding.

Best regards,
Sturla

www.rcsturla.com
Apr 19, 2015, 03:44 PM
Nice progress Sturla ,

When all the wood work is done , will you give the model complete new finishing ?

Cheers,

Bart
Apr 28, 2015, 12:07 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno
Wow, it's amazing watching this bird come back together! If it had been mine, I probably would have buried it where it lay. Very nice rebuild!
True! Dare I say, I'm almost more impressed with the skill & ingenuity shown here in the rebuild than in the original construction -- although Sturla is clearly a master of both.

And this goes to show that you should always pick up all the pieces, even if you don't feel like doing it at the time!
May 05, 2015, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
More pictures from Mel, the window opens + closes smoothly and at the right positions !
Last edited by sturla; May 06, 2015 at 04:17 PM.
May 19, 2015, 09:19 AM
Thread OP

Brian's PBY-5A Catalina RC Scale Model

I just came across these photos of Brian's PBY Catalina in Australia, that he made from my plans. You can see quite a few photos on this link:
http://badmac.org.au/catalina-pby-sc...lying-boat.php

As you can see he has put a lot of hard work into it and has made the blisters open and close. He made the Landing Gear himself which is admirable.

Best Regards,
Sturla

www.rcsturla.com
Last edited by sturla; Nov 06, 2017 at 04:00 PM.
May 19, 2015, 09:50 AM
Nice to see your design is spanning the globe Sturla.
This Cat is climbing on my ''to build'' list.

Maybe i can retrace the plans in 3d Cad and build it ''virtual''. Then the parts could be lasercut.

Cheers,

Bart
May 19, 2015, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart83
Nice to see your design is spanning the globe Sturla.
This Cat is climbing on my ''to build'' list.

Maybe i can retrace the plans in 3d Cad and build it ''virtual''. Then the parts could be lasercut.

Cheers,

Bart
There are line drawings also available from Sturla in the *.ai format for laser cutting that he'll supply you if requested. I also have a set of *.cdr (Corel Draw, I think) drawings someone else worked with. I currently have a guy helping me with the plans who is working with the plans in AutoCAD and then he will be cutting me a kit. I'd be happy to share when he's done. We're making quite a few changes in order to attempt to lighten the airplane up.

Randy

Quick Reply