Sep 11, 2014, 11:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Report Your Fake Banggood Sunnysky Motors Here

Seems there have been well-documented fake Sunnysky motors from Banggood.com

It is not just seemingly a bad batch that inadvertently found its way into their warehouse, but rather a pattern of knowingly selling fakes. I have started this thread so that people can share info on this matter in case it is more widespread.

I will not be doing much with this thread but I hope that it gets the attention of Banggood and the community and that people use it to pool information. Even if buying as cheaply as possible directly from China there are better places to source these motors.

See the original thread here about X2212 - 980kv motors. There may be more. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2188212

If you notice anything let's post it here and share info. Credit to @fvdwerdt for noticing this first. I would never have spotted it.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2014, 10:38 PM
Master Prop Breaker
I bought eight Sunnysky x2216-9 1100kv motors from Banggood at the beginning of July. It took almost one and a half months to be delivered, their customer service kept stringing me along telling me they were out of stock and they should be shipped any day. That happened about four times. I wasn't in a rush to use them so I let it slide.

About a week ago I finally got around to using them. I was going to build two DIY warthox style sport/acro quads with them. What happened blew my mind. Half of the motors did the funky chicken jittering on start up like one or more phase windings were shorted or wound improperly and two more let the magic smoke out after a couple flights.

I have used a lot of the 2216-9's in the past with the same setup and had zero problems using many motors from different vendors. I was always impressed with the power and quality of these motors. I started electric flight in 2003, brushless motors were cutting edge and expensive. Im not sure if lipos were even in hobbiest hands then. Nimh batteries and brushed motors were mainstream back then. I have watched the brushless motor go from a expensive curiosity to a mature cornerstone of the RC world and beyond. Im still in awe from the power they can produce, for their size far surpassing the performance of dirty, loud IC engines. Besides a micro turbine where else can you get the power to weight ratio of a brushless motor? Something that can produce a couple of horsepower that can fit in your hand is incredible. Until my recent purchase and bad luck I felt Sunnysky motors "were ?" hopefully still are the best value in brushless motors I have seen to date.

My feeling is they are not fake motors but are the QC rejects from the factory that someone in Sunnysky management is supplying Banggood and possibly other Chinese shops with the rejects. Since demand is high for these motors Sunnysky was feeling pressure from their distribution channels and someone at Sunnysky saw a way to relieve that pressure by using the QC rejects and put them in slightly different packaging.

When the reports of bad motors start coming in they can then use the prolific cloning that happens in China as a way to save face and have plausibly deniability that these are fakes and they have nothing to do with the real Sunnysky motors since the packaging is slightly different.

I really try to have trust and faith in my fellow humans and may be way off on this, but my feeling is that what happened was demand was high and production was slow and government sponsored loans for factory costs need to paid back, people will do some shady things to cover their and their families ass.

My reasoning for not being fake is as follows. The capitol investment to make fake motors would be too high even for the Chinese to make a profit on these motors, especially with the relatively small numbers produced and the low profit margins on already cheap motors. Yes China has a problem with fake products but I just cant see how it would work out given the poor quality of these motors and reasons mentioned above. You would definitely have a problem keeping customers.

I have learned my lesson with Banggood and most Chinese vendors and will use Buddy RC or other US based dealers from now on. Im kind of screwed with these motors anyway since I had to cut the shaft before installing them so I cant return them plus the cost of shipping for a RMA would be ridiculous anyway since the US does not subsidise shipping costs like China does.

Hopefully this doesn't come across a a anti China rant. Its not, its just a theory of how these [email protected]#$%! motors made it into the hobbyist hands. I will still buy Sunnysky motors since their I know what good ones can do. I just have to be careful where I buy them and try not to make my decision on price alone.
Jan 17, 2015, 09:24 AM
Check the reviews on the Banggood site before you order. Still a lot of crap Sunnysky coming from them as if this date.
Jan 17, 2015, 09:42 AM
Some of the V3508 580kv are fake. Comparing one of the 6 I received. Red Color was a shade lighter, regular c clips, prop cones more pointed, black paint around the bell was flat instead of glossy, writing was silver instead of gold, bearings not as smooth, machining was slightly different, bolt pattern was rotated, no barcode on the box, windings not as neat, softer metal because threads stripped and in zip-loc bags instead of sealed. These are in no way an original factory reject. It stuck out like a sore thumb.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:27 PM
9W2DLR
my share of fake sunnysky motor

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2261762
Feb 10, 2015, 03:21 AM
I loved the factory worker sneaking reject motors out the back door, what an imagination. I think I prefer the fake stories. A company making motors for so long wouldn't have sufficient rejects for anyone to keep a business supplied with stock. No matter the profit margin, a good product can always be made cheaper by cutting corners, by Railrode's story this is what's being done.

Just as a matter of interest, how would a buyer know if what they're buying is the real thing?. Even after receiving them most wouldn't have anything to compare them with. Personally I'm left with a definite doubt as to how much of Banggood's stock is genuine. That's a bloody shame as I saw them as a possible rival to Hobbyking. Then again I've had more than my fair share of failures from Hobbyking's stock, so how much of theirs is genuine? For the life of me I can't understand how they can extol the virtues of "Each motor is Individually balanced and checked prior to dispatch" when I can get 2 total failures and a further motor with a deformed shaft and another two with bad bearings from day one.

Avoiding Chinese sellers in favor of local stores is questionable as most of their stock comes from China anyway. I'm becoming rather disenchanted with buying any hobby items. China has little to no truth in advertising. It seems they can say whatever they like about a product and there is no need to prove their claims as manufacturers in most western countries are forced to do. Check Hobbyking's claims regarding their motors, every make model and brand is the best available.

One item in particular stands out in disregarding any buyers. A boat they've been selling for some years was reported as having motors which burn out and ESCs catching fire shortly after it's release. The same boat is suffering the exact same problems years later. No attempt has ever been made to reimburse those caught and the same lack of duty of care has been shown by refusing to change those faulty parts.
If the same item was sold in the US apart from a buyer outcry, they would be expected to put things right. China wants what the West has but aren't willing to toe the line when it comes to consumer rights.
Last edited by cr2o3; Feb 10, 2015 at 03:50 AM.
Feb 28, 2015, 03:20 AM
Fpv adventures

My fake motors

Hi just leaving a message to say that I'm fairly certain my ebay purchase of:

"4pcs 30A ESC+4x 2212 920KV Brushless Motor for DJI Phantom F330 F450 F550 X525 S"

were not up to standard by a loooong way. They had so much vibration that I couldn't even hold steady in stabilize mode using three layers of moongel.

The item is here if you wish to know about them. Looking at seller feedback i'm not the only buyer who has noticed the insane amount of vibration on similar motors from the seller: see feedback here. Seller name is Swift1818.

Looking at the motor you can clearly see inside very poor erratic copper wire winding as though it was done by a drunk person, or possible done deliberately for reputation damage, by whom I can't be sure.

I have seen stuff like this in the past with Ultrafire 18650 li-ion batteries - when cut open, they had tiny battery cells inside and then were packed with what looked like flour (didn't taste test to be fair). I was quite amazed how the maker went to such great lengths to make them like this, seemed more technical than the genuine making process. The same seems to be with these dodgy brushless motors I just got.

As a personal note, it's not a huge financial loss as they are priced about half compared to the better ones I usually buy, and I only bought one set as a test purchase. But still totally unusable, and not even worth the time doing motor balancing with. I compared the vibrations to all my other various motor types (without props attached) and brands using my smartphone and vibration app and my phone wouldn't even sit still on the quad with these motors they were so 'perfectly bad'.

I just wonder 'what's the point in doing this?' Bit of tinfoil hat thinking:
- is it really worth all that time copying a motor millimeter for millimeter, then screwing up the performance?
-Is it done deliberately to discredit the budget motor market? Clever people in the world, when businesses need to discredit a product...Who might perform such deeds?? (I think I know)

Photo of my purchase product:
Name: 111.JPG
Views: 83
Size: 90.0 KB
Description:
Apr 13, 2015, 12:49 AM
Suspended Account
My friend just got three from Banggood that are probably fake.. Shaft size is .3 mm instead of 3.17 bearing OD is 8mm instead of 9.4 and the fonts are different, the windings sloppy looking and the top of the motor looks weak compared to the real ones I got from Buddy Rc..
He hasn't installed them to test yet..
We shall see.
Apr 14, 2015, 06:37 PM
I just got 5 fakes x2204s 2300k from bg today, sent email to ask for refund now just waiting...

Tip-offs
1. The boxes were totally different from an authentic sunnysky packaging (see pic)
2. Motors had a metal washer instead of a plastic one in the bottom shaft.
3. Windings was really bad, lots of blue glue/loctite in the windings, even some lint/dust...
4. Plastic bags were all zip locked style
5. Logo wasn't real golden like an original sunnysky
6. Price seemed to be too good of a deal.
Apr 14, 2015, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentS
I just got 5 fakes x2204s 2300k from bg today, sent email to ask for refund now just waiting...

Tip-offs
1. The boxes were totally different from an authentic sunnysky packaging (see pic)
3. Windings was really bad, lots of blue glue/loctite in the windings, even some lint/dust...
Not commenting on whether you received fakes or not but the SunnySky motors I received from BuddyRC had the box like you got from BG.
Apr 15, 2015, 12:48 AM
Box on left?
Apr 15, 2015, 04:24 AM
9W2DLR
Quote:

Tip-offs
look like the same one I got from taobao

you can use my posting, I have official email from sunnysky verifying it

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2261762

Apr 15, 2015, 11:51 PM
Received confirmation from SunnySky that they are fake, now dealing with BG.
Apr 17, 2015, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Box on left?
Yep, box on left. don't have the boxes anymore to do a detailed comparison though. The motors, adapters, etc were in sealed bags though.
Apr 30, 2015, 12:30 PM
How did it go Brent? I just received two motors from Banggood today, one is the same as those I bought last year and one is a 'fake', matching all the points you mention. I would add a couple more points about the 'fake':
- the cut-out sections on the top of the bell have very sharp edges
- the thickness of the wire in the winding appears to be thinner

Quick Reply