Sep 18, 2014, 07:36 PM
Thread OP

Templates

Well I've cut a few templates to get a look at the structure. Front section need to imagine more.
Latest blog entry: Me262
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2014, 08:33 PM
Thread OP

Wing ribs

Checking plans as I will do full sheeting. Got to glass this bird.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:15 PM
Classic jets rule
oh yeah now your talking
Sep 19, 2014, 11:47 AM
Pro Hoarder
Hummm love the smell of balsa in the morning....
Latest blog entry: In flight
Sep 30, 2014, 11:28 PM
Thread OP

Almost time to get my sheet supplies

Well I've had a few car issues that have put my build on the back burner. But I hope to get the ball rolling again since I have the templates done and cut on card stock. I'm thinking ply on the formers for the most part to minimize the sectional pieces for former assembly. I'll do aircraft ply on the wing area in the fuse.

Well hope to be on track soon. I've flown my JHH F-4D some more to inspire me to build. Well inspiration there, now time, money, and effort.
Oct 10, 2014, 02:26 PM
Big gov never Works
Jeff, I built an enlarged version of the Warbirdkits Cutlass. For a single 90mm or twin 70mm. The thing is huge at 47" WS. Tom at warbirdkits made all the bulkheads from balsa, but with opposite grain. So the bulkheads were two-3 lams cross grain. Between lams I used glass cloth and finishing resin. They were lighter and just as strong as light ply. I made large sheets of this, back in the 80's-90's to make bulkheads for Byron fuselages. And BVM later came out with end grain balsa and CF matt. It works.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hlight=cutlass

Fuzz
Oct 11, 2014, 02:02 PM
Thread OP

Balsa layering

Fuzz I checked out your process on your build and that gives me some idea on how to utilize supplies I already have on hand. Carbon Mat, fiberglass cloth, and balsa.

I need to decide soon on what and how to move forward with the cutting of materials.

Thanks for sharing that technique gives me some option and if lighter and stronger that is awesome.
Oct 11, 2014, 05:38 PM
Big gov never Works
Your welcome, Jeff. One interesting note, I tried using carbon mat, one time. It dulled every Dremel blade I had. I had to purchase carbide dust blades(better), then diamond dust(perfect)

I then realized, that the CF mat was not necc., unless it was a high bearing load point, such as landing gear. Then I just used ply/glass laminate scabs, in the needed area of the bulkhead. Someday I'll have a micro table saw and lazer cutter. Then I can make thickness's of bulkheads from 3/32 and up, from end grain balsa blocks. The blocks made from stacking sheet balsa on end laminated.

With 4"x1/4" sheet balsa(16 sht) a 4"x4"x36" block can be made, for the table saw. The squares then resined to the CF mat. Top CF matt added then weighed till cure. A substitute for the CF would be veiling glass. A spun mat of .5 ounce sq ft. Mat is better for the glass and CF, over woven fabric. It's strength is uni-directional vs bi-directional.

I discovered veiling in the early 80's making "nose proof" insulated Kingfish boxes, for the Conch fishermen, in Riviera Beach, Fla. They would throw the Kingfish in the epoxy/foam ice chill boxes I made, and the nose of the fish would go right through. I used 1/8" Luan door skins(7x3') glass on both sides with the veil and poly-ester resin. A hammer could not break it. And could be cut with a carbide tipped table saw blade.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Fuzz
Dec 20, 2014, 02:47 PM

Motivational Photo

Jeff:
Thought I would post a motivational photo to "help" you along.

Ed
Dec 20, 2014, 09:44 PM
Thread OP

Motivation

Thanks Ed, I need some motivation. Had a few life issues come up so that has slowed my progress. I hope to get back to this project but right now it's on the back burner. I hope after the holidays pass I'll have better ability to harness some energy for taking this project to the next stage.

Appreciate the photos as I really like the form of this airplane.

Have a great Holiday!

Jeff
Dec 20, 2014, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffassbinder
Thanks Ed, I need some motivation. Had a few life issues come up so that has slowed my progress. I hope to get back to this project but right now it's on the back burner. I hope after the holidays pass I'll have better ability to harness some energy for taking this project to the next stage.

Appreciate the photos as I really like the form of this airplane.

Have a great Holiday!

Jeff
Jeff:
I know the feeling. I have been dealing with some health issues since about early Oct. and hope to be better by first of year. Haven't flown since mid August so early next year I hope to be back flying.

Hope your situation improves and you can get back to the pleasure of modeling after the first of the year.

Happy holidays to everyone and have a safe, happy and prosperous new year.

Ed
Dec 22, 2014, 08:51 PM
This is my Delta Ray painted from the inspiration of an F4D. Hope you get it back on track soon!
Dec 23, 2014, 09:12 PM
it wasn't me flying that plane
Great subject to scratchbuild..
Jeff,
How do you cut the formers from plywood?
It does not have the burned look of a laser cutter..
Apr 19, 2015, 09:19 PM
Thread OP

Just getting started again

Well here is the beginning of cutting wood. It's been a long while. But I'm going to try to cut a bulkhead every once in a while to get this project moving along. Try and sneak up on it. That way I don't go all in as I have other projects going. But wanted to share the central bulkhead and also the wing inner rib and also the fuselage wing location.

That is it for now. Took a lot longer than expected since I'm cutting pretty thick wood on the these location. Other ply or balsa should be a little easier. Well I hope.
Apr 20, 2015, 12:04 PM
Pro Hoarder
One part at a time..only way to finish a project like this
Latest blog entry: In flight

Quick Reply