Mar 12, 2018, 01:55 AM
Thread OP

Side View

If you look at the side view you can see that the elevons could almost be a form of vector thrust as there are control surfaces top and bottom. On the scale, not the model they had outboard rudders, how they were used have to watch some view closely. But I have an idea since I have a Roo and I have mixed twin rudders to the elevator to play with flight control at low speeds.
Latest blog entry: Me262
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2018, 02:43 AM
Thread OP

Skyray and LB flight

M2-F2 Lifting Body Test Flight (0 min 44 sec)
Mar 12, 2018, 02:59 AM
Suggest another thread so not to confuse this one?

Yes the flight controls will be a challenge. Attached is how the flight controls operate on the M2-F2.

Nice video
Mar 12, 2018, 11:07 AM
Pro Hoarder
The M2 had 2 different control systems planned. It had control mixer somewhat like a swash plate so they could change how the system worked There was some controversy about the best application..Rudders had a large roll component. And the center elevons had a adverse yaw problem which is what caused the crash of the F2..the F3 had the central rudder to cancel the yaw problem...Sorry for the off track Jeff. I guess I will start a thread for my M2 F1 antics
Latest blog entry: In flight
Mar 12, 2018, 11:14 AM
Pro Hoarder
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffassbinder
While my glass is curing I went ahead and started laying out the X-24. I have two shades of gray at 100% so it is to scale 90-120mm. Also location for batteries. I would add the rudders which could act as air brake. Well before getting to far ahead I’ll just stick with converting plan to my own size and layout.
I would keep the intake straight forward. Just add a splitter in the center to keep the profile look
Mar 12, 2018, 01:54 PM
Pro Hoarder

Lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffassbinder
Hey Jeff..FYI that is the Sky lancer F5. That came after the Ray..Its the Sky Rays sleeker little brother
Mar 12, 2018, 02:01 PM
InceCreations
Still, strange design, wonder what they were hoping for ?
Mar 12, 2018, 03:22 PM
Pro Hoarder
A aircraft that can land on a runway after reentry from space that was able to fit in a rocket to launch into space...Which the Dreamcatcher will do in the near future
I have started a thread for Lifting Body info to save Jeffs thread
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...F#post39323338
Last edited by turbonut; Mar 12, 2018 at 03:52 PM.
Mar 12, 2018, 05:42 PM
Thread OP

Lb

Thanks Scott for opening a new thread as I was getting ready to start making templates for the Scaled X-24. I think I can cheat the dihedral on the rudders and create an easier flying spacecraft. Noted on the splitter, I didn't want the look of a big fish gasping for air. Although the B version takes care of that, I'm not into the angular look.
Mar 12, 2018, 05:45 PM
Pro Hoarder
Yea not a fan of the B model..
Mar 12, 2018, 06:21 PM
Classic jets rule
yeah was going to say that the ray in the vid was a F_5D I watch every vid on you tube last night of the LB's
now back to the Sky Ray ...see you over on the LB thread .
Mar 12, 2018, 10:53 PM
Classic jets rule
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
The M2 had 2 different control systems planned. It had control mixer somewhat like a swash plate so they could change how the system worked There was some controversy about the best application..Rudders had a large roll component. And the center elevons had a adverse yaw problem which is what caused the crash of the F2..the F3 had the central rudder to cancel the yaw problem...Sorry for the off track Jeff. I guess I will start a thread for my M2 F1 antics
That and the fact that the chase helicopter was not in the right place ,causing a last second maneuver that made the gear down selection about 2 seconds late ,and one leg was not locked and it balled up at 200 mph . that is straight from the pilot. and it also required a SAS system required a reset right after launch it did some 90* rolls left and right before he got it under control . like I said the vid is scary . it looks like hes going straight down and rolling hard over 90* several times those guys were some ballsy pilots
Mar 12, 2018, 11:46 PM
Thread OP

Before I start puzzling plans and templates

I thought Iíd get my vertical glassed. Iíve place a rod in to the base of the rudder, Iíll braze on a brass arm to actuate via servo under the dorsal section. Also be a good time to check layout for wires to wing and some airlines.
Mar 13, 2018, 11:06 AM
Pro Hoarder
Nice ..looks like your molding some small parts..
Mar 13, 2018, 11:25 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
man those test pilots had big balls back then hahaha

Quick Reply