This thread is privately moderated by TPfingston, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 10, 2014, 08:28 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Thread OP
Discussion

North Las Vegas 1971

I'm posting this in hopes of doing a little reminiscing about old times. I learned to fly RC in 1971 in North Las Vegas while stationed at Nellis AFB. I ran across these old slides and managed to scan them into my computer. I'm posting them here thinking maybe someone will recognize someone that they know or remember.

If you look closely, there are two Top Flite P-51B's in these photos. Both showed up at field on the same day. The one in green is covered with OD Monocote and was really a gorgeous airplane.. Seems like the owner's first name was Larry but I wouldn't stake my life on that. The radio was an EK Logitrol. I don't remember what engine he had on it. The airplane flew beautifully and tracked like an arrow. Unfortunately, on the second flight (I think), he did a split S with full throttle and when he tried to pull out, she did a high speed stall and snap roll right into the ground from about 10' altitude. There was not much left but balsa splinters. As he walked back to the pit area carrying little red servos and his engine, he said "It was almost worth it, it was almost worth it!"

The second P-51, in silver livery, was painted with automobile paint and didn't fly as well. But it did go home all in one piece.

The transparent yellow and metallic green Goldberg Falcon 56 was mine. It was powered originally with an Enya .15 and would just barely fly with that engine. It was constantly on the verge of a stall. I traded the .15 for an Enya .19 and it flew just fine for a beginner with that setup. The radio was an MRC (Futaba) and weighed a ton. I flew that airplane until it literally came apart in the air.

Note also that there is a Goldberg Senior Falcon in the photos. It was powered by an OS Wankel. I think that was probably the only one of those that I ever saw. Excellent power but was a bitch to start.

This flying field was a small dry lake bed and if memory serves it was north of Cheyenne Ave and east of Tonapah Hwy. If you look closely, you can see the screen of a drive in theater in the distance in the last photo.

Thanks for the memories.

Tony
Last edited by TPfingston; Mar 30, 2016 at 11:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2014, 08:53 PM
I'd bet 100$ that is the same rc airport at the north end of decatur that i learned to fly at a long time ago.
Awesome shot of Vegas before it went down the toilet.
Sep 10, 2014, 09:01 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Thread OP
Charlie, I have no idea of any other street names anymore. The only person's name that I remember for sure was Gil Horstmann. Gil was a scale nut and designed and published (in RCM) an crop duster but again, I don't remember the specifics. I guess that I could look thru old RCM plans catalog and maybe I could find the plans. I think the Gil later moved out to Oregon or Washington and I understand that he passed away several years ago.

Tony

Quick Reply