Full-motion LED Controller - Page 3 - RC Groups
Jul 03, 2015, 04:51 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672
Looks good. I'd like to see your flight video.
I don't have a flight video of that plane but I do have a short flight video of another Radian I wired up. In fact I wired up both of the Radians in this video:

Harry's & TIm's Night Radians.wmv (1 min 19 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2015, 06:01 PM
John
That looks great. I've never flown a sail plane and never been interested, but with LED's it's a different story. What's the leaning curve on sail planes? Radian or Radian pro? Would you be able to have the LED's go from LE to TE on the pro with ailerons and flaps?
I'm pretty much exclusively 3D minus a couple of sticks.
Jul 03, 2015, 07:32 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
The Radians fly like trainers, very easy. If you're flying 3D now you'll have no problems at all. Can't run the LED strips across the ailerons and flaps, they aren't that flexible and if you tried the strip would eventually break. I prefer the Radian over the Radian Pro, I think it flies better and is easier to wire up for night flight. If you like 3D why not wire up a foamy 3D aircraft?
Jul 03, 2015, 10:48 PM
John
I do have a Twisted Hobbies Slick with their light kit on it but it's not that great because it's only one LED on the top inner side of SFG and bottom. Easy to loose orientation if it gets too far away.
Your's doesn't seem like there is any way to loos orientation at night. That is sweet. Radian's aren't expensive either, which is a good thing. Are you using the stock set up, i.e. motor, ESC, and servos?
Jul 03, 2015, 10:55 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Yep, everything is stock. I use a larger battery (2200mAh) and added a plywood battery mount under the canopy but that's about all.
Jul 03, 2015, 11:00 PM
John
Nice, are you pulling juice from the balance cable or plugged into RX? How many boxes did it take for you to make your layout? Sorry for all the question. It's just too darn cool and it's getting to hot to fly around here during the day. Up at the crack of dawn, or night flying
Jul 03, 2015, 11:11 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
I cut open the heat shrink on the ESC and solder leads to the battery side of the ESC and then tape the heat shrink back on. I then mount a Panel switch on the side of the fuse to turn the lights on and off. It's much cleaner for me to do it that way. I don't like using the balance leads for anything but balancing, that's just me. I use servo plugs to connect the wing lights to the fuse.
Jul 03, 2015, 11:16 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
I can't remember how many meters I used on the Radians you saw in the video. I know it was a bunch!!! I've got notes around here somewhere that list how many meters of each color I used. I order my lights from hobbypartz.com. Their light strips are white and half the weight of the copper colored strips a lot of guys use. The white strips blend in better with the white foam of the Radian. I'm not talking about the LED color, just the strip color. I'll look for my notes and shout back at u when I find them.
Jul 05, 2015, 04:30 PM
Those Radian's look fantastic. I've also never really had interest in sail planes but it seems like a great platform for night flying. Harry, did you place all those LEDs externally on the covering, or internally & re-cover? What kind of flight times are you getting?
Jul 05, 2015, 07:57 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1
Those Radian's look fantastic. I've also never really had interest in sail planes but it seems like a great platform for night flying. Harry, did you place all those LEDs externally on the covering, or internally & re-cover? What kind of flight times are you getting?
Thanks brick,
The Radian has a solid foam wing so the LED are stuck on the outside surface of the wing, top and bottom. Heavy duty clear tape is added over the LED's on the bottom of the fuselage to protect them during landings. The stock battery for the Radian is a 11.1v 1300mAh but after adding the lights I bumped it up to a 11.1v 2200mAh battery. I get anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes depending on the type of flying I do (climb up and glide down or powered flight with mild acro).
Jul 05, 2015, 08:06 PM
John
Yeah it does look cool, I'm going to try one soon. It's on my wish list now
But 45 min. I wouldn't know what to do with myself with that much time.

Here's my first attempt at a night flyer a few years ago:

Last edited by jk6672; Jul 05, 2015 at 10:33 PM.
Jul 05, 2015, 09:49 PM
Automated Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1
Too bad this project was abandoned, as it's visually stunning. Is there anything else out there that can do the "organic" LED effects?
Hi, I'm the author of this project. I'm planning on bringing it back, but obviously I need to change some things this time around - both for my own sanity, and to make sure everyone is happy with the product.

The current version was my attempt to sort of integrate everything necessary for the lighting system. There are the two circuit boards that control it. Since the lights take a lot of 5v power, there are either one or two Castle BEC Pros. There are connectors for all of the inputs and outputs. Everything is soldered together, and then installed into a 3d-printed case. I'm buying the light strips and including them as well. And that's just the hardware side - the Studio website is a huge part of the system and at least as big of a coding task as the hardware controller is.

The problem with this system is that it's complicated and slow to produce. I'm making one or two at a time, and they end up taking 2-4 hours each, depending on how testing goes and if the 3d printer decides to cooperate. Moreover, I don't think hobbyists actually want this. I think most would rather just get a single circuit board with a small form factor, and handle the power supply and wiring on their own.

I'd rather spend my time working on the Studio website, which is where you actually end up spending most of your time designing and testing light patterns. There's all sorts of cool directions this could go in. I'm really eager to try converting video files to light patterns. Tools to synchronize lights with music are also high up on the list.

But I can't do any of this if it takes three hours to make each kit. So here's what I've been thinking about doing, and I'd like some feedback to see if it's worth continuing on this path, or if there are changes that should be made:

- Strip down the product: design a single circuit board containing the entire control system. Have pin headers to connect to everything. Get the board professionally manufactured. Note that this does *not* include the power supply for the LEDs, which will still be external.

- Provide recommended component lists, rather than including everything. Users will buy the light strips, power supplies, and connectors on their own, then just plug them into the control board. I can list recommended, tested configurations. This also lets users shop for the best price on all of these components.

- Focus on the website: after getting the boards manufactured, the hardware part of the build is done, rather than still needing two hours of assembly and packaging and testing. So spend my time adding more features to the Studio website, and working with users to make the website as effective a tool as possible.

I think this plan is safer, because one the boards are manufactured, all I have to do to fulfill orders is pop them in the mail, and they won't take over my life. This frees me up to do support and work on the Studio website.

So (if you made it this far!), could you let me know two things: if you think this is a good direction to go in; and if there are any other suggestions you have for Rev 2 of the product. Thanks!

- Andy
Jul 05, 2015, 10:33 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Welcome back Andy! I'm excited you've not dropped the project as feared. I think you're now on the correct path with this product. You're right, most of us night-flyers are DIY kinda guys. Sell us the board with a list of recommended components and let us do the wiring. There will be some that want a RTF system but given all the different type of aircraft this system will find itself going into, I think that would be very difficult. Now, I'm not a graphic designer or programmer so that part makes me nervous. If I can go to a website and download programs ready to go, I'd be fine with that. In time, maybe I can learn how to program the board with patterns of my own. I'm all aboard with your new idea. How long would it take to have the boards built and ready for sale? I'm ready to go!!!
Jul 06, 2015, 05:02 PM
Automated Andy
Thanks, Harry. I'm not sure when the release date will be, but I'm working on the board design now, and I'll keep this post up to date as things progress, and the release will be ASAP.

That's an interesting point about having a library of light patterns so that you don't need to have design skills to make your own. One of the suggestions I've heard is adding some marketplace-like features to the Studio website. It would still have it's current functionality - designing light patterns for your own personal use - but there would also be some sort of options to share patterns publicly. I'm not quite sure how that would work, especially with the different layouts and LED string lengths, but it's definitely possible. I like the idea that as time goes on there will be a massive library of light patterns available on there for download.
Jul 07, 2015, 10:53 PM
Free fall is not free
I found this quite a while ago. Kind of disappointed when you stopped dropping by. I like your new direction. I can put things together. But I was completely stumped trying to figure out your light design program. If you can provide an RC switchable controler with some light patterns to have fun with. I am golden.