This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 10, 2014, 10:01 AM
Thread OP
Cool

those were the days-1st flight in a full size airplane

the 1st time i flew in a full size airplane was in 1952, in a piper cub j3. it was at 6am because we were at 7,000 feet above sea level and at that altitude the air is so thin that it is better to start early, when the air has more density. when the instructor began to tell me: "this is the ground, this the air, this is the airplane", i told him that i was a student of aeronautical enginnering but had never flown before, and he stopped that. we had to fill the tank by hand, with car gasoline (in those days there was no high octanes-what was that?), neither airplane gas available. and we had to start by hand. but it was so much fun! the instructor was a short fellow, that had to add 3 cushions for him to see above the nose of the plane, and hardly could reach the pedals for the rudder. and no radio, so the control tower had to send a green light signaling that we were cleared for take-off. once we were flying, i began to familiarize with the controls. although i had a good idea of all, being there is another story. and then you get seasick. but was an unforgettable experience after all. we climbed and did whatever the instructor said, and after he saw that i was doing fine, we began the approach for landing, with me at the controls. as we were getting closer and he didn't took over i told him that i had no experience in landing, but he let me do it. what i did was throttling it down gradually and also pulling the elevator up slowly until i did a 3-points landing-no bouncing, nothing. but taking-off was another story: the plane had to take-off at 65 mph and the speedometer started at 45, and before that you had no idea at which speed you were, and the tailwheel is linked to the rudder with springs, that were weak, so it was a lot of fun to steer the plane during those moments. anyway, after several take-offs and landing the flight ended, and then he asked me: so you never flew before?
back in my head i had this idea that i talked about this before, but could not find anything in my blog. now i found it, but as there are so many posts i could not find it. anyway, here it is, for those who didn't see it before-or don't have the time to go through the whole 7 pages.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Sep 10, 2014 at 10:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply