May 15, 2019, 07:31 AM
The second one is rated at 740 CFM. I doubt I'm getting that with the ducting I have. I also have done some heavy engraving with it. Works much better, but did need to place some filler panels to help with the smoke. I think ideally I would run two of these. I do plan to redo my cutting table when I get the Z axis done. I might do that then. For general cutting, the single fan with no fillers works just fine.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2019, 07:40 AM
Cloudrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_l
The second one is rated at 740 CFM. I doubt I'm getting that with the ducting I have. I also have done some heavy engraving with it. Works much better, but did need to place some filler panels to help with the smoke. I think ideally I would run two of these. I do plan to redo my cutting table when I get the Z axis done. I might do that then. For general cutting, the single fan with no fillers works just fine.
Thanks Joel, again valuable details. I'm still waiting for my missing frame brackets from LaserObjects, getting on for six weeks now.......................

Paul :-)
May 24, 2019, 05:17 PM
I started work on my Z axis.

I had some linear rail I was going to use for another project but went a different route for that. So I'm using it for my Z axis. I run 4 pieces vertically in the frame. I ran them all the way down to near the floor so they can support the chain drive that will run across just under the frame pieces. I did this so I can run the Z axis off one stepper and not worry about missing steps and having to re adjust the screws. For the screws, I also had some ball lead screws. They will be mounted in the center of the "L" brackets that the laser box sits on. Things worked out just right, my laser box fit right in.

Every thing seems nice and square as well as tight. You can lift the L bracket from an end and the other side follows without sagging.

I have all the bits to finish, now I need to 3D print some parts to mount it all up.

Pics of the rails in.

Joel
Jun 07, 2019, 08:56 AM
Cloudrider
Guys can I ask a favour, can you let me know the dimensions of the 4x 90 degree fixing brackets that secure your frames together please.

I estimate from photos and securing holes on my own frame that they're around 50mm x 50mm x 45mm, with countersunk 25mm hole spacings for the fixing bolts, not sure about the thickness of the brackets I guess around 4-5mm.

3 months and Lightobjects seem to be no closer to getting them than when I originally sent a request. I'll just have to make my own.

Cheers Paul.
Jun 07, 2019, 01:05 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Unless they are something completely different than most 'standard' 90 brackets, they are available from multiple places. Amazon has them, as does Open Builds among many others.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jun 07, 2019, 01:43 PM
There are a few sources of these I have bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

just search for 3030 angle brackets ( or 2020 or 4040, what ever size you used )
Last edited by joel_l; Jun 07, 2019 at 01:48 PM.
Jun 07, 2019, 02:47 PM
Cloudrider
I should have included a photo guys :-)

See attached from Andy's frame...........I'll just Cad one up and get a couple of sets fabricated............but it would be nice to have the dimensions so I can at least feel I've got a proper set :-)
Jun 07, 2019, 03:05 PM
Thread OP
You didn't get those in the XY kit? That's a bummer. I'm surprised Marco hasn't come through yet.

Andy
Jun 07, 2019, 03:40 PM
Cloudrider
It's all very surprising tbh..........I haven't dialogued with Marco yet sadly.

I've even asked about buying more spares for a second X Axis etc, offered to include replacements in an additional order, thus covering the duty and post etc. Everything I consider going above and beyond fair etc to assist in getting the missing parts here to the UK. But here I am 3 months later..............I really like the frame too, but there comes a point when you just have to kick the ball outta the bloomin park and go it alone! (Apparently)

So any Dimensions would be appreciated, I imagine I'm pretty close as I have the fitting bolts. So scaled up from there.

Paul.
Jun 07, 2019, 03:51 PM
Thread OP
I'll try to remember to measure them tonight for you. About 2 hours I should have your answer.

Andy
Jun 07, 2019, 03:53 PM
Cloudrider
Many thanks Andy.........when ever convenient is just great.

Cheers Paul.
Jun 07, 2019, 05:21 PM
Thread OP
5mm thick steel.

50mm on the long edge of the angle.

50mm high (to match the height of the frame).

Andy
Jun 07, 2019, 06:14 PM
Cloudrider
Thanks Andy................

Paul :-)
Jun 08, 2019, 07:32 AM
Cloudrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
5mm thick steel.

50mm on the long edge of the angle.

50mm high (to match the height of the frame).

Andy
Andy isn't your frame aluminium like mine? Your Brackets look Anodised like both our frames? It doesn't look passivated.......

Maybe our frames aren't the same?

Paul.
Jun 08, 2019, 09:40 AM
Thread OP
The XY frame is steel. The cabinet frame is anodized aluminum.

Andy
Jun 08, 2019, 09:53 AM
Cloudrider
Thanks Andy, so my XY frame being the next size up is definitely Aluminium all around.

For those reading this, that's the 1200 x 900 Frame.

Paul.
Jun 08, 2019, 11:14 AM
Odd, my 900x600 frame is all anodized aluminum except the steel rod inserts.

Speaking of which, I extended the rod on top just to see how that would work out. It worked fine. If I ever have the need the disassemble things I'll do the bottom. Why? So right now I relocated my limit switch an I get just over 36" of X movement. When I extend the bottom I'll have about 37". Figure it might make working with real 36" material easier. Not a high priority . First I need to get my Z axis going.
Jun 08, 2019, 11:49 AM
Cloudrider
Just when we were going to bug ya about your Z-Axis too Joel!..................

(My Drive Shafts are Steel btw)

So are your Angle brackets Aluminium Joel? Don't see them using Steel if the rest of your XY Frame is Ally.

Paul.
Jun 08, 2019, 03:17 PM
My brackets are also Aluminum.

Ya, the Z-Axis has been crawling along. The only progress since the last photos is I printed and mounted the lead screw lift brackets to the smoke box supports. Not much to speak of. Next step is to make the lower lead screw mount and stepper mount. This assembly is what supports the weight of the box on the lead screw. I'm debating if I should put in a thrust bearing or If I think a radial ball bearing will do.

Joel
Jun 08, 2019, 03:37 PM
Cloudrider

Z-Axis

Neil from iGull over here in the UK did some Z Axis trials Joel. Maybe worth a read of someone else's experience..........

http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=751

Cheers Paul.
Jun 21, 2019, 08:38 AM
Cloudrider

Lightobject Parts

So, as I believe in credit where credit's due. For those following my missing parts saga.

I have, as of today received my missing brackets, prising them out of the clutches of the Royal Mail with another Customs charge

Lightobject were kind enough to reply with the following: "Hello, really sorry for your long wait, we've got some good news for you, we've ordered the missing parts from China and the shipment just arrived today, We've ordered 4 of the brackets, and going to send them to your address below"

I'm still not sure what happened over that last 3 months, or why they couldn't come straight from China to the UK.............but glad we got there in the end.
Let the work commence..........

Paul. UK
Jun 21, 2019, 12:06 PM
I'm sorry you had to wait so long, but at least you got them!!

SteveT.
Jul 14, 2019, 05:54 PM
I went back to work on my Z-axis today and made good progress.

There's the lower bearing blocks I 3D printed. Added a cross member to the bottom of the vertical rails. Those will support the lower bearing blocks, stepper motor bracket and chain guides.

The chain will form a rectangle so it can go around the exhaust duct.

I'll see if I can get a stepper mount drawn up and ready to print in the next day or two and then the chain guide mounts. I will look for some square plastic tube that the chain can run through. I moved the smoke box up and down by hand and it seems to move well.

I will likely have to add another 36V supply for the stepper, it will take some juice to hold. I was going to run a stepper on each side, but don't want to worry about missed steps over time.

Joel
Jul 14, 2019, 06:04 PM
Looking good!!

SteveT.
Jul 24, 2019, 12:17 PM
Z Axis is done and working.

I don't often engrave or cut things that the table need to be dropped much, where I find it most handy is when switching between my cutting and engraving lenses. I used to have to drive the head to a rear corner and then pull the smoke box forward so I could drop the lenses out ( whole nozzle assembly ). Now I can just lower the table.

I had one instance where I could have engraved a piece but it was not flat, had a taper that was 1" different one end to another. This got me to thinking about making the table tilt. So I added the ability to control the left and right sides independently. If this ends up being really useful, might add it to all 4 corners. With a Z axis, I think I could have handled a taper that way as well, but the Z axis is not very fast, tilting the table lets me run X-Y full speed.

Joel
Jul 24, 2019, 01:49 PM
Very nice Joel!!

Just out of curiosity, what head do you have on your laser?

SteveT.
Jul 24, 2019, 02:41 PM
The head is what came on the Light Object 900x600 X-Y, nicely done. The original lens barrel has a 50mm lens, the second one has a 75mm lens. easy to swap now. The whole X-Y kit seems better than anything I've seen. That is what drove me to the DIY instead of EBay unit. Even though the DIY cost more in the end. I'm sure I could run this all day every day with a lot less issues.

https://www.lightobject.com/Laser-He...long-P956.aspx

https://www.lightobject.com/XLE-900-...anty-P762.aspx
Jul 24, 2019, 04:28 PM
Yes, I believe that is the same as this one, which I have been looking at for my laser.

Oops.. Edit, it is not the same, and I was just told they do not actually sell the same one as what comes in the XY kit.

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Jul 24, 2019 at 07:01 PM.
Aug 29, 2019, 01:02 PM
now that I have a z axis and it's easy to change the table height, I tried some thicker material. I was able to cut through a 2x4 ( really 1.5" ) . It took 80% power and 3mm/S but went clean through.

With my 75mm lens, there is obvious taper, but that's to be expected.

Joel

Quick Reply