Sep 08, 2014, 06:29 AM
Thread OP
Question

Urgent Help with this Lithium Battery please!

Hi there guys,

Im in some desperate need of help with this battery in regards to charging. Our robotics team purchased this:

http://www.batterysupports.com/dewal...ack-p-195.html

There are some photos attached that show the battery. It is a 12V, 2.2Ah lithium ion battery. It doesnt come with a balancing cable or power cables connected like i see on alot of battery packs online.

My question is, how do i charge the damn thing? I purchased a charger (shown in pictures attached) that can charge 3-cell li-po batteries but i dont know what wires go to where?

I desoldered the original connector from the battery charger and replaced with a header and some crimped wires for connecting to our custom battery (shown in pictures) But im not sure which wires go to where. I have an inclination that the thicker solder lugs on the battery are for power and the smaller ones are for balancing? I have established positive and negative of the battery and i have found out that they are in the "prismatic" configuration.

Regards,
M. Amato
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2014, 08:36 AM
Space Coast USA
The tabs you have marked - and + are the power take off leads.

The balance leads would go to:
Black balance lead goes to tab marked -.
Adjacent balance lead goes to small tab between cells #1 and #2 opposite - tab.
Next balance lead goes to small tab between cells #2 and #3.
Last balance lead goes to main + tab.

You should see about 3.85V on balance leads 1&2 (cell #1), leads 2 & 3 (cell #2) and leads 3 and 4 (cell #3).

What we don't know is anything about that charger. Details please.
Sep 08, 2014, 01:35 PM
Space Coast USA
Looking at your charger, I'd put the Black on the Main minus tab, the red on the main Positive tab, the white wire next to the black wire on the small tab on the plus side of the first battery and the white wire next to the red wire on the small tab on the negative of the 3rd battery.
Sep 08, 2014, 06:58 PM
Thread OP
Hi there,

I got it working (well half, at least). The black and red wires needed to be swapped around, but the principle you described for connecting the adjacent wire to the opposite side of the battery worked well.

But problem i have now is, the charge light on the battery flashes rapidly, indicating "battery is bad or charging process is abnormal" as described in the manual: http://www.kanjo.no/Manual%20BC-3S10...er%20(FMS).pdf

So now i should go and buy another good quality charger and hook it up in the same fashion as i did just now. Hopefully it will work.
Sep 08, 2014, 09:25 PM
Space Coast USA
What are the individual cell voltages?

Most lipo chargers will not charge a pack with any cell under 3 ish volts.
Sep 09, 2014, 12:21 AM
Thread OP
3.64V each.
Sep 09, 2014, 07:54 AM
Space Coast USA
3.64V should not be a problem.

Check your connections again.
Main Black charger lead to battery Neg
Main Red to Positive battery tab.

Black balance lead to Neg.
Next balance lead (white) to tab opposite where main black lead attached.
Next balance lead (white) to tab opposite where main red lead attached.
Red balance lead to where main red lead attached.
Sep 09, 2014, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
Hi there,

Yeah i did that exactly as you prescribed. The charger light blinks as if indicating correct charging for a few seconds, but then quickly goes to rapidly blinking, indicating abnormal charging.

I did some looking on the internet and found that the chargers smaller brother, BC-3S10 is riddled with problems that are similar to mine in nature.

I have an IMAX B6 coming today. Will post back with results. I made sure its a genuine one too.
Sep 10, 2014, 02:49 AM
Thread OP
Got the IMAX B6 today. Worked like a charm. Such a great charger for a great price!

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply