RC Rescue Boat for RC Yachts - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 16, 2014, 11:08 AM
Looks like vac-u-tug is the winner so far
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2014, 11:22 AM
We've used a Vac-U-Tug and a Vac-U-Tow. The Vac-U-Tow (with the large motor) is superior; the flanking rudders make a big difference when trying to get close to a disabled boat.

Cheers,

Earl
Feb 12, 2018, 05:45 AM
hi guys,

just would like to get some opinions.
Is this a good build for a rescue boat ?
RC Rescue boat build FeiLun FT012 (6 min 0 sec)
Feb 12, 2018, 07:35 AM
springer tug woudl be an option as well
Feb 12, 2018, 09:57 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Notice the vid does not show it in operation. A hydroplane type boat has a high rpm motor with a relatively small diameter high pitch prop for fast boat speed, when what you want is a geared or low speed high torque motor turning a big low pitch prop. Wrong horse for this course.

My first attempt at a rescue boat used a 26Ē electric Prince that will do 40 mph. Dismal failure. The prop would churn lots of water but not move the rescued boat and in reverse, it would barely move the frame, let alone another boat. Not to mention that at a distance, it is very difficult to get the disabled boat into the frame U. This can be cured with a small onboard camera system, but that adds to the cost.

My second rescue boat works great. It is a Vac-U-Tug Jr with the optional larger prop/motor unit towing a toilet tank float on 10ft of line. Drive out to the disabled boat, circle it a few times until the float/line snags the keel and pull it back to shore. The tugís large diameter Mickey Mouse ears prop and the high torque brushed motor will pull a 26 lb Santa Barbara without breathing hard, unless the wind is above about 12mph and then there is just too much sail area to fight, but the fast electric would be useless in those winds. US1Mís are no problem.

Go with a tug.
Feb 12, 2018, 10:47 AM
Using my recovery setup I clip a fishing lure tied to a fishing line into the clothespin, pull it out over and beyond the point on the lake where a boat has sunk, then give it a tug to drop the fishing lure, which you then reel back in to snag the sunken boat and pull the whole thing back to shore
Name: IMG_0056.JPG
Views: 21
Size: 649.5 KB
Description:
Feb 12, 2018, 12:02 PM
If it floats....sail it!
That is an innovative idea, but how often are you rescuing a boat that has sunk???? You must have a real treacherous venu to go to that much work and expense to make that kind of recovery system 😧

In 8 years of racing RC sailboats, I can remember only one boat that actually sunk before getting back to shore under its own power. That one was due to a cracked hull that was not obvious after the boat fell and landed on the keel bulb and the newbie skipper did not recognize the boat was getting lower and lower in the water until it was too late.

Our most common reasons for rescue in order of frequency are:
Failure to switch on the boat before launching
Dead battery
Jammed rudder from debris
Jammed sheet line
Getting stuck on an under water fountain base
Damage from a collision - usually a rig coming down

In all cases the boat is still afloat.
Feb 12, 2018, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
Notice the vid does not show it in operation. A hydroplane type boat has a high rpm motor with a relatively small diameter high pitch prop for fast boat speed, when what you want is a geared or low speed high torque motor turning a big low pitch prop. Wrong horse for this course.

My first attempt at a rescue boat used a 26Ē electric Prince that will do 40 mph. Dismal failure. The prop would churn lots of water but not move the rescued boat and in reverse, it would barely move the frame, let alone another boat. Not to mention that at a distance, it is very difficult to get the disabled boat into the frame U. This can be cured with a small onboard camera system, but that adds to the cost.

My second rescue boat works great. It is a Vac-U-Tug Jr with the optional larger prop/motor unit towing a toilet tank float on 10ft of line. Drive out to the disabled boat, circle it a few times until the float/line snags the keel and pull it back to shore. The tugís large diameter Mickey Mouse ears prop and the high torque brushed motor will pull a 26 lb Santa Barbara without breathing hard, unless the wind is above about 12mph and then there is just too much sail area to fight, but the fast electric would be useless in those winds. US1Mís are no problem.

Go with a tug.
Lots of good info, thanks.
Could you share some pics or vid of your rescue boat? Do you know of any links for tutorial builds?
Feb 12, 2018, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsheldon
Using my recovery setup I clip a fishing lure tied to a fishing line into the clothespin, pull it out over and beyond the point on the lake where a boat has sunk, then give it a tug to drop the fishing lure, which you then reel back in to snag the sunken boat and pull the whole thing back to shore
Attachment 10726920
it really looks cool, thanks for sharing.

if you have any vids of it in action to share would be nice also.
Feb 12, 2018, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castdir
it really looks cool, thanks for sharing.

if you have any vids of it in action to share would be nice also.
I have used this setup to rescue several Victoria's, IOM's and several DF65's and 95's. I just approach the wayward boat from the rear and capture it between the two power boats and push it back. It only takes a minute to speed out to the middle of a lake before the runaway boat sails off into the sunset I have a video somewhere but I can't find it. I only had to snag one DF65 that sank because the skipper forgot to put his hatch cover on, and that was last year.
Fred
Feb 12, 2018, 03:32 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
Quote:
That is an innovative idea, but how often are you rescuing a boat that has sunk???? You must have a real treacherous venu to go to that much work and expense to make that kind of recovery system 😧

In 8 years of racing RC sailboats, I can remember only one boat that actually sunk before getting back to shore under its own power. That one was due to a cracked hull that was not obvious after the boat fell and landed on the keel bulb and the newbie skipper did not recognize the boat was getting lower and lower in the water until it was too late.

Our most common reasons for rescue in order of frequency are:
Failure to switch on the boat before launching
Dead battery
Jammed rudder from debris
Jammed sheet line
Getting stuck on an under water fountain base
Damage from a collision - usually a rig coming down

In all cases the boat is still afloat.
Agreed These FC listed are the most common at our club also including,.... Rx/Tx failure or 2 boat or more entanglement (which shouldn't happen anyway but does) Our method of retrieval is simply run the Tug (Zippy Springer) out and either nudge the boats or snag a fish line around them/it, run the tug back in and pull the line in by hand on the tug end n reel in the line on the Fpole end. Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Feb 12, 2018, 03:38 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castdir
Lots of good info, thanks.
Could you share some pics or vid of your rescue boat? Do you know of any links for tutorial builds?
Sorry, I donít have any video since I am driving the tug.

It is just a regular Vac-U-Tug Jr. towing a toilet tank float on a 10 ft line. I use twisted (not braided) mason line from Home Depot because it floats. See http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Vacutug.htm although mine is not paint that pretty. Look around the site for the optional larger motor and prop.

The instructions that come with the kit are very good. Since it is ABS plastic, be careful to use the correct glue and paints that wonít melt the ABS.

When using it just be careful to not back over the floating line or it will foul on the prop and then it requires rescuing!!!
Feb 12, 2018, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Sorry, I donít have any video since I am driving the tug.

It is just a regular Vac-U-Tug Jr. towing a toilet tank float on a 10 ft line. I use twisted (not braided) mason line from Home Depot because it floats. See http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Vacutug.htm although mine is not paint that pretty. Look around the site for the optional larger motor and prop.

The instructions that come with the kit are very good. Since it is ABS plastic, be careful to use the correct glue and paints that wonít melt the ABS.

When using it just be careful to not back over the floating line or it will foul on the prop and then it requires rescuing!!!
Thanks so much for the info... that link is great.
Feb 12, 2018, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsheldon
I have used this setup to rescue several Victoria's, IOM's and several DF65's and 95's. I just approach the wayward boat from the rear and capture it between the two power boats and push it back. It only takes a minute to speed out to the middle of a lake before the runaway boat sails off into the sunset I have a video somewhere but I can't find it. I only had to snag one DF65 that sank because the skipper forgot to put his hatch cover on, and that was last year.
Fred
Sounds really cool, if you do happen to find the vid again hope you drop me a message with the vid link. thanks for sharing the info and experience.

Quick Reply