RCGroups.com Video Podcast No. 5 - FPV Rock Crawling!

We take our RC rock crawlers and drive them from the driver's seat with our FPV systems.

Playing in the Creek

RCGroups.com Video Podcast

Jim T Graham and Jason Cole hit the trails with the Axial Wraith and Deadbolt to do some FPV Driving. We start out in a field and move down into the trail with some awesome creek rock crawling. We captured the footage from multiple cameras including the Diatone 230mm Quad Copter.

The Deadbolt is outfitted with a Boscam TR1 Camera that has a built in 5.8Ghz transmitter and records to a micro SD card. The Wraith has a GoPro Hero 3 using the Eachine L250 Plug In Transmitter. Watch the video below to find out why FPV Driving is becoming so popular. Spoiler: It's Awesome!

The GoPro mounts to the Wraith via the FPV carbon fiber plate made by ReadyMadeRC. The Boscam TR1 fit perfectly between the dashboard of the Deadbolt and the roll bar. A little velcro was added to keep the camera in place. Super simple, yet effective!

Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel.

Sep 05, 2014, 02:33 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Now I am gonna have to FPV a ground vehicle. It looks like you guys had allot of fun!
Sep 06, 2014, 06:55 AM
Can you guys post a complete listing of equipment your using to do FPV?
Sep 06, 2014, 01:37 PM
RCG Admin
I was using the Eachine GoPro video transmitter listed in the article above. The receiver unit is the Black Pearl 8" monitor with Diversity Rx with a high gain patch and CP antenna. I had my Zeiss Cinemizer Goggles connected to the monitor to receiver the video signal.
Sep 06, 2014, 02:31 PM
Admin Deluxe
I had the Boscam TR1 on the truck and Skyzone googles on my head. That's basically it. I did have some Bluebeam antennas on the googles for better reception.
More on the googles here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2036458
Sep 08, 2014, 03:32 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
great video....I have a summit I was going to do this too. Seemed like a lot of work.... not so much after watching this..... Thanks guys!
Bring'em to SEFF next year.
Sep 08, 2014, 07:41 AM
Admin Deluxe
We will have at least one FPV truck at SEFF. See you there!
Sep 08, 2014, 12:35 PM
Shut up and fly
o'yea video podcast is sweet. great job. ideas for future: getting the wiring down, shielding, filters. antennas. all aimed at the ground pounders.
Sep 08, 2014, 08:48 PM
Dude. So. Cool. Way more intrigued by this than I am by aerial FPV. That isn't a slam of aerial...this is just me...
Sep 09, 2014, 05:42 AM
Dark Yet??
I did the same thing a couple years ago.

WolfCreek RC Park Short.wmv (5 min 28 sec)
Sep 09, 2014, 08:04 AM
Admin Deluxe
Awesome!
Sep 09, 2014, 09:26 AM
RCG Admin
Now that is one awesome place to run some trucks!
Sep 09, 2014, 10:42 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Wow Barn E Stormer, the coolest place to crawl I've ever seen.
Sep 09, 2014, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Now that is one awesome place to run some trucks!
Seems like an isolated place is a necessity for this activity, or you run the risk of them being stolen- or have a third person watching over them.

They mention there is equipment out there that could make for even longer range can anyone supply a link to those?

Picked a great time to get into crawling !
Sep 09, 2014, 07:29 PM
Dark Yet??
Wolf Creek RC Park is amazing. My friend Doug Wilson did a great job creating it. It has been featured in RC car magazines. Doug is constantly changing it and improving. Use the webpage to contact him for a visit and you can also fly at Ancient River Eagles while in the area.

http://wolfcreekrcpark.com/
Sep 09, 2014, 08:12 PM
Admin Deluxe
We are going to do a feature on it!
Sep 10, 2014, 03:27 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Another easy Plug-n-play camera is the Walkera iLook+ with a build-in 5.8ghz vtx, plays nice with FatShark goggles. I attached one to my truck with a piece of double side tape and took it for a spin in the riverbed. Jim you should do a review of the camera, the + is better than the original, Im sure Lucy will be happy to mail you one for testing.
SCX10 FPV in the River Bed (12 min 58 sec)
Sep 10, 2014, 04:05 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero
They mention there is equipment out there that could make for even longer range can anyone supply a link to those?

Picked a great time to get into crawling !
Habanero, you can use a ezUHF with your radio, that get you several miles range. use something like 900mhz for the video to have best penetration at ground-level. Next you need to start worrying about turning around so you get back home before running out of batteries.
Sep 14, 2014, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen
Habanero, you can use a ezUHF with your radio, that get you several miles range. use something like 900mhz for the video to have best penetration at ground-level. Next you need to start worrying about turning around so you get back home before running out of batteries.
Ok cool thank you. This kind of thing would be awesome for disabled kids / wheelchair bound kids.

Quick Reply