Sep 02, 2014, 01:25 PM
Discussion

NEAT night flying

Guys,

I checked the lunar calendar - looks like we'll have a full moon this year at NEAT. It may not be pitch black as we've had in prior years (assuming we don't have fog) but it does make it a bit easier to work on your airplane vs. needing a flashlight

So, is anyone bringing anything new or different for night flying at NEAT? After seeing a Geobat fly at the Bergen Club's Warwick event back in June I decided to build one myself (actually the Gen II version aka Sliderbat). I still have a bunch of work to do on it, but I'm pushing to have it wrapped up for the trip this coming Monday. I'll also have my trusty 3D Delta, plusI plan on trying something different in the Saturday Night Slow-Fly contest and going with a 24" NutBall. I've used the 3D Delta for this contest the past few years, but it's a bit TOO maneuverable and I normally end up doing damage. The NutBall should be much more "bounceable" and with the right power/weight setup should work great for this event (I believe there are a number them that have been used in this event in year's past).

So, what are you bringing?

Rob
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2014, 01:52 PM
got any foam to bash?
full moon is the 9th (it's a super moon!)

I'm bringing my new Acromaster. Don't have a nighttime picture of it, but it sure is impressive!
Sep 02, 2014, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt
I'm bringing my new Acromaster. Don't have a nighttime picture of it, but it sure is impressive!
Nice one! I've been wanting to build a night-time Acromaster ever since that Castle custom firmware demo at NEAT a few years ago.
But I'll be flying my old Piranha. It's been through many collisions and repairs but still refuses to die.
Sep 02, 2014, 02:10 PM
Nice - the construction of those really lend themselves to great lighting schemes, plus I'm a big fan of interally lit airplanes. You can make them bright without blinding other pilots. I appreciate the ease of adding LED strips to the outside of a plane, but when they fly into my field of view they tend to mess up my night vision. The internally lit planes diffuse the light nicely.

Rob
Sep 02, 2014, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyK
Nice one! I've been wanting to build a night-time Acromaster ever since that Castle custom firmware demo at NEAT a few years ago.
But I'll be flying my old Piranha. It's been through many collisions and repairs but still refuses to die.
I remember that demo - it was pretty radical back in the day! Looked awesome.

Regarding your Piranha, I seem to recall you can control your lighting brightness so it's exempt from my earlier strip LED comment

Rob
Sep 02, 2014, 03:10 PM
got any foam to bash?
Ya, mine is not as impressive as the Castle one (dynamics), but mine looks great considering the rush job I put into it!
Sep 02, 2014, 03:22 PM
I've got my Hobby Lobby Miracle with 5 meters of lights shining in your face, a West Michigan Park Flyers TuffCub with internal lights and a rcrich orb done up as Pacman with indirect lighting shining on the plane.

And I want to get my mini vapor lit for the tent games! My MQX already has lights added.
Sep 03, 2014, 10:18 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Unlikely to make the Slow Fly contest, flying buddy might.

Firefly, Stuntbipe, Leadfeather Delta, my night versa died at Warwick, unlikely to get others ready in time.

Never knew what that unkillable plane of Sergeys was called, good to know. The thing just refuses to die.
Sep 03, 2014, 04:47 PM
Now that's a low pass !!
My group will have 2 Flybeams and a Potenski Christian Eagle..
Sep 03, 2014, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhillag1
My group will have 2 Flybeams and a Potenski Christian Eagle..
I'll be curious to see how the Flybeams look and fly. Maybe HK will have one or two of them in the Pilot's Raffle this year

Rob
Sep 03, 2014, 05:39 PM
got any foam to bash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob
I'll be curious to see how the Flybeams look and fly. Maybe HK will have one or two of them in the Pilot's Raffle this year

Rob
We had one at our summer night fly series. It took out my FMS Cessna 182 with narry a scratch. Looks nice, flies nice.

did not get one for pilot raffle.

Tom
Sep 03, 2014, 07:22 PM
Power Glide
I won't be flying Neat this year but I do have a Flybeam and this is what it looks like. I added an led disk on the bottom for better landings and have 2 channel switches to turn all the leds off or just the disk.

Name: Fly Beam3.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 59.7 KB
Description:

Name: Fly Beam1.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 49.1 KB
Description:
Sep 03, 2014, 09:00 PM
Fly--> Crash--> Fix... REPEAT!
Wow, Nice PRNDL i really like your plane!
Sep 03, 2014, 09:02 PM
Fly--> Crash--> Fix... REPEAT!
I Would like to setup some lights on my Mosquito, but not shure
Sep 04, 2014, 05:42 AM
Now that's a low pass !!
The flybeam flies great !! However it is not floaty like a cub. It is quite sporty and flies more like a sport plane. The construction was very simple and the lighting excellent. I believe I had to add a touch of lead in the nose for the proper CG. I also added two HK 12 lamp white LED discs under the wings for landing on a separate switch so they can be turned on or off in flight. Rob if you would like to fly it just stop by and we'll give her a ride. We will be at the show on Tuesday PM and have the "Connecticut Custom Car" dually truck at the flightline..