This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 01, 2014, 10:04 AM
Thread OP
Data

umx radian: auto pilot-or not?

conclusions on ap vs no ap-my view.
1.-i am pleased with the rad as is, with the autopilot (ap), and from what i read, many others too. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2089760
and still there are some who think it is better without it. i think that with ap in windy weather (for which it was intended) it does much better.
2.-anyway, as the brick of 1 of my rads went south and don't have another of the same ap, i replaced it with 1 that has no ap (AR6400), so will try and compare in no wind days. some say that without ap it thermals better.
3.-well, there was a window in the weather and had the chance to evaluate the conversion.
the plane flies fine in calm, although behaves different, as could be expected. problem was, that could not evaluate it completely because the prop does not stop, even if stalling the plane.
4.- i added the esc that helps to stop the prop. it is done, so only i have to wait until next window again.
5.-now i was able to try it: with little wind it is a lively plane: sensitive, responsive, but still controllable, so it behaves just as any other plane of its size. and in no wind it is a lively nice little plane. still i have to try it in no wind thermals to see how it behaves.
so in some wind with no ap, it needs frequent commands, as any other plane its size.
and another identical plane with ap is way more stable, self-compensating for the drafts.
big difference. but it's up to each 1 which way you like it.
it confirms that only with ap it can be flown in windy weather that otherwise only larger planes can do, and in smaller places.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Sep 02, 2014 at 04:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply