Jan 25, 2015, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
Arlyn,
The Clark Y makes positive lift down to about -6 degrees. http://sim01.cti.ac.at/html/lift/lift01.html

Positive incidence on the tail is definitely the right direction but if you find it starts flying too tail high yet is still "climby", I would start adding shims under the wing trailing edge.

Of course it also depends on the cruise speed you want. You first might try a lower pitch prop. Its obvious you didn't need alot of throttle to stay in the air. The lower pitch speed might allow more throttle range without the aircraft balloning so immediately. Food for thought....

Mike
Mike, Thanks for the insight on the lift characteristics of the Clark Y.

The wing is fixed in place using spar joiners so it would be tough to adjust it hence why the plane was given an adjustable stab. I doubt that it would fly too tail high, the full scale flies fairly tail high.

The plane does fly faster than expected with a 6 pitch prop being used. It really wasn't checked for slow speed character yet but I believe it will slow down.

Ballooning wasn't much of an issue once brought into pitch trim. I can't recall that it was ever given full throttle but from mid range down, it remained in trim.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2015, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
I've made the adjustments outlined above for the second flight, hopefully Tuesday during our Fossil Flyers afternoon flying.

I'm feeling the emotions of the ending of a project. There is a little to mop up such as finishi dialing in the flight trim, the strut foils, the wing bags and hanger mount from the garage ceiling but this build log has about run its course and I'm beginning to think ahead.

Thanks to all who have followed the build log. Best wishes on your projects.

Arlyn
Jan 25, 2015, 05:56 PM
Thank YOU for posting this build log. May all of your 1929 Travel Aire 6000 landings be soft.

Soft landings,

Joe
Jan 25, 2015, 07:39 PM
ARFs Are Me
Arlyn

Thanks for doing this thread. I've enjoyed it, and I learned a few things along the way.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:22 AM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
Arlyn, the video was great! She's beautiful thanks again for taking us all along for the ride on your build. I hope the second flight goes great and the two of you have many good flights ahead of you! I enjoyed seeing the airplane hop along the grass field before take off it reminded me of a bird anxious to take flight.

Mike
Jan 26, 2015, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
Mike... I thought one of the coolest moments was when the buzzard flew in the field of vision along with the plane. We have lots of buzzards at our field and they seem to enjoy flying in proximity with the planes. They have less regard for the helis however.

We have had hawks get aggressive towards planes but the buzzards don't.

btw, there is another video of the maiden on facebook on the

East Texas Aeromodelers page.

It was taken with a wide angle gopro I think. While it does get the complete flight period, much of it is too far distant to see.... but it gives some view of the landing and it picks up some chatter between me and others at the flight line.

btw #2, I did get the ceiling hanger installed this AM for hangering the plane. I'm left with one hanger space left, after that if any more gets built, something will have to be sold.

On the other hand, I recall visiting Haiti many years ago and of course there was almost no private transportation but they did have tap taps, mini pickups with a wood bed on the back with bench seats each side... open taxi's. The joke was, how many Haitians can you get in a Tap Tap? Answer.... always one more.
Jan 26, 2015, 03:22 PM
The model hanger is a swell idea. Thanks for sharing this with us. BTW: I really like the two model aircraft hanging on the back wall, on the right, above the biplane! Way cool!

Soft landings,

Joe
Jan 26, 2015, 03:26 PM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
I wish I had that much ceiling space in the garage!
Jan 26, 2015, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe
The model hanger is a swell idea. Thanks for sharing this with us. BTW: I really like the two model aircraft hanging on the back wall, on the right, above the biplane! Way cool!

Soft landings,

Joe
Joe, the story behind those two - they were projects of two grandsons. They feel honored to have their efforts hanging with mine.
Jan 26, 2015, 03:52 PM
That's what I was thinking, my friend. And that is why I thought it so nice to see them hanging up on the wall with Grandpa's planes. Two thumbs up!

Soft landings,

Joe
Jan 27, 2015, 12:31 PM
Thread OP

Wing Bags

Harbor Freight and Tools had furniture moving protective blankets on sale recently and they looked to work for wing bags.

The strut system was designed to fold to the wing to allow bagging without removing the struts.

Time to make.... three hours and the first hour was spent trying to figure out how to wind a bobbin and rig the thread on an old sewing machine. Actually, i can't believe I figured it out but got it going and the machine seemed happy enough with the thick quilted material.
Jan 27, 2015, 01:51 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Nice!
Jan 27, 2015, 01:52 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
I've made the adjustments outlined above for the second flight, hopefully Tuesday during our Fossil Flyers afternoon flying.

I'm feeling the emotions of the ending of a project. There is a little to mop up such as finishi dialing in the flight trim, the strut foils, the wing bags and hanger mount from the garage ceiling but this build log has about run its course and I'm beginning to think ahead.

Thanks to all who have followed the build log. Best wishes on your projects.

Arlyn
I know its laborious but not too many changes at once......

Mike
Jan 27, 2015, 07:46 PM
Thread OP
Flew it again today with the following results.

The increase in percentage of differential from 40% to 60% combined with a 30% rudder mix with aileron was very effective in curtailing the adverse yaw, yet provided good roll control for all speeds.

The 1/32" positive given to the stab was notot enough and 1/16" more was added for the next time out.

Takeoff today with no cross wind was a piece of cake with the plane tracking straight.

edit: Oh... about forgot.... the candy drop worked perfect.
Jan 27, 2015, 08:03 PM
Knew you would start to get her dialed in

Ken

Quick Reply