Aug 31, 2014, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

1929 Travel Air 6000 Build Log

The Travel Air 6000 was a six passenger in the early days of passenger airlines. It was designed for use on grass fields and had a sturdy undercarriage with large wheels. With wing struts supporting wood spars and no retracts, it had a lot of drag and was slow and quickly replaced by the Ford Tri Motor so it didn't have a very long life with airlines.

The Travel Air 6000 had some talent however and with its wide cabin door and interior space with a powerful radial up front, it was well suited to outback support. While not fast, it could haul a load and it could climb well, which suited equipping it with floats making it well suited to hauling stuff in and out of mountain lakes.

A few years ago, there was one at a local air show and I got a ride and even some stick time. It was a hoot to think of how old the plane was and see it and experience it. Its lines had character like so many early designs. From the moment I saw it, it impressed me as a possible RC build.

An RC offering of one of these hangs in Big MIke's Dallas Hobby shop. I think it was built by the father and son (Mike). The Travel Air had been the fathers first airline plane and they built it together. I don't know when... perhaps someone can fill in more details.

When I looked for plans, the best that seemed available was a sixties era RC escapement. I purchased the plan having it sized to eight foot span. I'll use the plan as a general guide and the pictures taken of the one from the air show.

My hope is to begin a build in the next few weeks. I'm retired now and about caught up on home chores and have only one more fairly simple RC model repair ahead. I've never built with an attempt at competition scale and probably won't do that here, but would very much like the result to generally appear scale. No interior however.

Some of the build stuff was acquired over the last year or so. Have the wheels and a dummy engine to scale. Thinking of leaning heavy on spruce-fir for the build and have a stash of light straight grained to work with. Contemplating trussing the wing ribs.

The plane has an interesting undercarriage with A frame supported axles supported by a shock strut to a point on the wing strut and then angling to the upper fuselage. Some welding and machine work involved with those and that suits my machine tools and abilities.

It should be a fun project. I took on a self designed build a couple of years ago to make use of a couple of surplus wings and that project turned out very well producing a good flying and I think good looking plane. I think this plane though it likely won't be anything special to fly and won't garner other builds, should be of interest to those who enjoy following a build documentation..
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2014, 09:19 PM
I'm in! I just love airplanes from the Golden Age of Aviation. I have an old EAA Vintage Airplane mag w some great details of this bird somewhere. I have some very nice plans for this airplane somewhere, too. I'll look around.
Aug 31, 2014, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
I would be interested in what plan you might have. IIR, I only found three and now can't remember the details of why I chose the one I got.

The other pics.
Aug 31, 2014, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
The last bunch.
Sep 01, 2014, 07:06 PM
Great choice, there is something that really comes alive with the Golden Age birds. I'm starting a Travel Air 4000 from a set of Cleveland plans.
Sep 01, 2014, 08:08 PM
I'll be watching this one. Good luck with the build and remember to have fun along the way.

Soft landings,

Joe
Sep 02, 2014, 08:01 AM
ARFs Are Me
I'm in on this, too, as it's right up my alley.

Several aspects of this design are similar to my Ryan, which was a recently completed project.
Sep 02, 2014, 11:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
I'm in on this, too, as it's right up my alley.

Several aspects of this design are similar to my Ryan, which was a recently completed project.
Tom, very nice looking plane. I have questions but will first find out if you have a built log where likely most of them will be answered.
Sep 02, 2014, 08:40 PM
ARFs Are Me
Thanks !

Here's a link to my thread. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1883271

The thread is fun, but we ventured off track. If you have questions, it may be easier to just ask. Finding them in that thread could be a problem.
Last edited by TomCrump; Sep 02, 2014 at 09:07 PM.
Sep 02, 2014, 09:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
Thans !

Here's a link to my thread. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1883271

The thread is fun, but we ventured off track. If you have questions, it may be easier to just ask. Finding them in that thread could be a problem.
No doubt the tracks covered some good ground.

Ok... wingspan, area, weight, power, air foil for starters. Did I see correct that there are no wing struts?

This will get functional struts.
Sep 02, 2014, 09:21 PM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
No doubt the tracks covered some good ground.

Ok... wingspan, area, weight, power, air foil for starters. Did I see correct that there are no wing struts?

This will get functional struts.
The strut system is complicated on my Ryan. It's tied into the functionally sprung landing gear. There are two wing strute per side.

The airfoil; is a scale modified Clark Y, pulled from my 3 views.

Weight ? Damn heavy. I never weighed her, but she could be pushing 30#. It's an easy 25#. I have a fully detailed interior, complete with wicker seats. I'm sure that it added a pound or two to the finished weigh.

I have an RCGF 55c for power. I'm sure that it's over kill. I had planned on using my US 41, but it wouldn't fit behind my dummy radial.
Last edited by TomCrump; Sep 03, 2014 at 07:58 AM.
Sep 19, 2014, 01:10 PM
Thread OP

Preparing to start

One of the things needed to do before the start was replenish some wood supplies. Needed was both spruce/fir spars and stringer material (obechi).

The morning today was given to ripping, planing and band sawing a stock of 1/4 and 5/16 of both .

There now ought to be enough for my duration.
Sep 19, 2014, 04:30 PM
Senile Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
One of the things needed to do before the start was replenish some wood supplies. Needed was both spruce/fir spars and stringer material (obechi).

The morning today was given to ripping, planing and band sawing a stock of 1/4 and 5/16 of both .

There now ought to be enough for my duration.
Looks like you have an excess. I'll email you my address.

Larry
Sep 20, 2014, 07:11 AM
Trussing ribs and trammeling wings is fun! Here is the start of a 1/4 Franklin Eaglet wing panel. The aileron has yet to be 'cut out'.
Sep 20, 2014, 07:34 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP
Trussing ribs and trammeling wings is fun! Here is the start of a 1/4 Franklin Eaglet wing panel. The aileron has yet to be 'cut out'.
I'm not sure, but I think your definition of fun, and mine, may differ.

Quick Reply