Aug 31, 2014, 04:36 PM
ParkScaleModels
Thread OP
Discussion

The Bamboo Bomber - Cessna T-50 Bobcat Prototype

A friend of mine has been asking me for nearly 10 years to design a Cessna Bobcat. I had started one a long time ago as a 42" span 1:12 scale light weight park flyer, but because I wasn't happy with certain aspects of the design, I put it on the shelf for a bit (8 years actually! ).

January 2013 I figured enough time had passed and it was time to resurrect this project. This time I decided to go just a little bit larger and settled on 1:9 scale. I figured this was still a small enough airframe to be easily transported but be large enough to handle a moderate breeze.

Specs:
Length: 43.667"
Span: 55.889"
Height: 13.222"
Wing Area: 524.444

The target AUW will be 4 lbs. (64oz). This equates to a 17.5oz/sq.ft wing loading and a 9.2 wing cube loading. It has full house controls plus flaps and retracts.

I framed up the Bobcat last year, but due to lack of time, it sat on the shelf, collecting dust. I figure the upcoming NEAT fair is the motivation I need to get it finished up.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2014, 06:10 PM

Which Bobcat....

Zeke, so the prototype parts you brought to the NEAT fair a few years ago were for the smaller model, the now-discarded project?
Aug 31, 2014, 07:23 PM
ParkScaleModels
Thread OP
I had brought the framed up Bobcat that I am currently working on up with me to NEAT last year. I honestly don't remember if I had ever brought the smaller one up to NEAT before...that was a loooong time ago.
Aug 31, 2014, 08:04 PM
Zeke, very nice design work, the fillets look the part. I also really like the idea of the pre-cut planking- was this part of the 3-d model "flattened" out? Keep up the good work!

D-Rock
Aug 31, 2014, 08:19 PM
I am excited about this project. Glad to hear it has retracts; who's if I might ask?
Aug 31, 2014, 08:21 PM
ParkScaleModels
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rock
Zeke, very nice design work, the fillets look the part. I also really like the idea of the pre-cut planking- was this part of the 3-d model "flattened" out?
Thanks D-Rock. Right you are on the planking, I've worked out a process to draw and flatten out the planking so it can be accurately pre cut.
Aug 31, 2014, 10:02 PM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Joyfully subscribed.
Robert
Sep 01, 2014, 06:05 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Zeke,

I am on board too! I have wanted to build one for a while and the size is spot on for my shop/car.

Denny
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Sep 01, 2014, 11:24 AM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
I'm not going to make NEAT this year, Zeke, so I won't get to see this latest effort in person.
But it looks to be a great scale project (and a very tempting one as well). I hope the weather holds, and you all have a great time this year!
Mark
Sep 01, 2014, 11:54 AM
No, no, no, Denny! I so want one. I really have first Dibs. Ask Arthur, Roger, Charlie and Bill Brown, Jr.!

We can't have two at the field, can we?
Sep 01, 2014, 01:00 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers
No, no, no, Denny! I so want one. I really have first Dibs. Ask Arthur, Roger, Charlie and Bill Brown, Jr.!

We can't have two at the field, can we?
Ken,

There is PLENTY of room at the Midwest field for two of these! I imagine you would do the Songbird/Skyking? I just have to find another color scheme...no worries!

Zeke, Sounds like two are sold in Michigan!

Denny
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Sep 01, 2014, 01:33 PM
Okay, okay, but won't the guys think they are ARFs (read BARFs) when two of them show up? :roll eyes:

Yep, Songbird all the way.
Sep 01, 2014, 06:32 PM
There are some who call me....
Great looking Bobcat. I'm on a slow build of the version from RCM magazine. If yours is ready before I get too much further I may just smoothly transition to your kit. No one at my club would know...

Any chance you have a picture of the retracts?
Sep 01, 2014, 11:33 PM

In line too

Hey guys...a couple of them are coming to Delaware too...after all, I'm the one that's been doing all the pushing for those 10 years! I've seen it in the bones. It's typical Zeke so you won't be sorry. Now I have a 42 incher and an 85incher in the "maybe I should just sell it and move on" pile, not to mention the Don Smith in the box with the Robart Gear.

Quick Reply