Aug 30, 2014, 12:41 PM
Build more, websurf less
Thread OP
Rave

Tattletale Does the Job Again

Been flying my heli with the RFU and SBUS into Skookum FBL unit without drama.

Just changed to another ESC with built-in BEC and was a bit wary. Installed one of my Tattletales and it showed solid green for several flights.

Even though the RFU's built-in Tallletale led showed the same indications, the stand-alone Tattletale's led is much brighter can be seen on fly-bys.

Nice job XPS.

Paul
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2014, 01:24 PM
So, do you always see solid green with the new setup?

Yeah, I made the Tattletale really bright so I could see it in my jets.
Aug 30, 2014, 07:29 PM
Build more, websurf less
Thread OP
Yes, remains solid green the entire flight.
Aug 30, 2014, 11:57 PM
Good to hear!
Aug 31, 2014, 12:07 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
I've been eyeing the Tattletale for some time now and I suppose I should just buy a couple to test them out, but I have a couple of questions:

Where do you mount them that you can see them? How directional is the LED?

Also, have you ever considered a remote LED option so you could have one on 2 sides of an aircraft, Jim? (still pondering the need for that)

Pete
Aug 31, 2014, 02:42 PM
Build more, websurf less
Thread OP
The Tattletale unit is tiny, so I just velcroed it to the side of the plane or heli and ran the wire (about five inches) to the Rx. Here it is on the side of a 450-sized heli.

The LED is visible quite well even when it is not facing you.
Sep 01, 2014, 07:28 PM
The LEDs have a 120 degree viewing angle, so they are quite visible from various angles. These are so bright that you probably don't need two of them. I put in the canopy of my jets and it lights up the cockpit.. easily visible on a fly by.
Sep 18, 2014, 01:32 PM
Garland
the x10 has a tattletale built in and is designed to be buried into a plane. How would one get the x10 tattletale LED to be seen during a flyby without adding a spare tattletale ?
Sep 18, 2014, 06:44 PM
Some people use flexible light pipes (optic fiber cable) to re-locate the LED output. A lot of people are mounting these out in the open, at the bottom of the fuse, and you can see the LED when the plane is tipped.
Oct 26, 2019, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Some people use flexible light pipes (optic fiber cable) to re-locate the LED output. A lot of people are mounting these out in the open, at the bottom of the fuse, and you can see the LED when the plane is tipped.
HI Jim, I was just busy setting up all the wiring in my Extra and testing everything. Also routing the wiring as neatly as possible. The one problem I have is that I won't be able to see the LEDs on the X10 and RFU. I also installed a Smart-fly Optical ignition cut off and only used about a third of the optical fiber. I took the offcut and held it close to both LEDs in turn and it works perfectly. I can mount the optic fiber 1/2 inch above the LED and it works 100%. I just did a quick search on this forum and found your post. Hahahaha fantastic! I will post some pictures once I've completed the installation. 👍
Oct 27, 2019, 12:30 AM
Nice! Yes, I have done this myself and it works really well.

Quick Reply