Aug 29, 2014, 01:58 AM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Jeti DS-16 to Spektrum Bridge

After doing as much research as I could to see how people are using Spektrum through their Jeti radios, I found very little info that I was happy with. I did this research before I got my DS16 (replacing my DX8 and Graupner MZ-24). I found many people are using the Orange DYI Module.

A good friend of mine bought two and gave me one to make it work with Horizon Hobby BnF models but I found the module to be very inconstant and lost reception making my model fly on it's own. I was very displeased with anything Orange related so I decided to try something more reliable.

With all of this being said here's what I came up with. I built a Jeti to Spektrum bridge. Here are the items I used:

- Jeti R4 Receiver
- Protek LiFe 2100mah 2s 6.6v Battery
- RX On/Off Swtich
- Pelican 1010 Micro Case
- Spektrum DM9 Airmod for JR Radio.

I put the R4 receiver in the Airmod case to make everything look clean. I mounted the Antenna to the lid so while using it I could have it open up for better reception. I have used this to fly my beloved Blade 200qx many many times with awesome range with no lag or anything.

Here are the pics and tell me what you guys think. Thank You

Setup was really easy to do on this Awesome radio. Hopefully this can show some people that this mod is possible with the Jeti.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2014, 07:10 AM
can you write a detailed guide on how u programmed into the TX?
Oct 07, 2014, 04:37 PM
Michael

Work In Progress

I ordered (and received, today) a DM9 module. The OP is quite busy, but he had taken the time to answer the pinouts: five pins that accept standard servo male pins. Top-most is PPM (Negative), skip a pin, then Power-positive, followed by Power-ground, and, finally, a fifth, unused, position.

I could not get the binding between the DM9 and a Spektrum Rx to work until I changed my Jeti Rx PPM output from PPM Positive to PPM Negative.

No photos, yet, but I did choose PPM Computed so that failsafe will work and extra channels are still available on the Rx.

I powered the DM9 from the PPM channel on my Jeti Rx.

So far, sitting on the workbench, it works great and I can arrange channels using Device Explorer.

I will fabricate a case and some battery power, but I strongly suspect it will look similar to what has already been posted; why reinvent the wheel? :-)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viciou5Vendetta
can you write a detailed guide on how u programmed into the TX?
Oct 10, 2014, 02:25 PM
Michael

Jeti to Spektrum Bridge: Works Great

Update: flew two UMX birds (Radian and Habu) using the Spektrum bridge.
No changes needed to first version, but I do need to make some better labels; just wanted something to show at the field. It sure caused some chuckles as folks had, earlier in the season, observed me flying these models with my Spektrum DX-9 (an excellent Tx - will not knock Spektrum.) This morning, they saw me flying the same models, but with my DC-16 as I had the bridge on one of the assembly tables; out of sight to the folks on the line.

I used an existing Radio Shack utility box. The Spektrum DM9 module fits in the removable top with an indoor Rx that I had lying around velcroed to the bottom of the case. I use Sermos / Anderson PowerPoles, so I attached one to the side along with a SPST slide switch so that I did not have to plug / unplug the battery; especially useful when binding (only need to do once, however.) The switch is below the APP.

Inside I have a servo extension cable with the male pins removed from the plastic housing (actually, I crimped my own, but they are just three male pins.) Signal goes into the top DM9 socket opening, skip one, then Power and Ground go into the next two. The female end plugs into the PPM output port of the Rx (PPM Negative).

A two-wire female servo lead goes into a spare Rx port and connects, through the switch, to the APP for a 2S power source. Currently, I am using a 2S500 LiPo as I had a couple lying around... Measured current draw, 2S, is 90 mAmps; about four hours to reach 80% capacity.

Binding is trivial for the bridge box to Jeti; insert bind plug into EXT port, power up, fire up the Tx, etc. No surprises, changes, from standard procedure.

I created a Tx model template that maps, via Device Explorer, the Jeti channels to the typical Spektrum channels. I copied that template for each model, Radian and Habu. I modified each copy to reflect servo reversing, DR/Expo, etc. Binding was trivial; powered up the model, held the DM9 bind button down while powering up the bridge... I display the Rx voltage (2S power) and have an alarm set at 7.0 volts (conservative.)

The nice part is that the Jeti to Spektrum Bridge needs binding only once. Each time a new copy of the template is created and activated, the Tx asks, the first time using that new model, if I really want to use that Rx; after that, it powers up immediately, all bound...

Same goes for the Bridge to Spektrum-configured model. After first binding, the DM9 iD is stored in the Rx and the Spektrum Rx recognizes the DM9...

Downside: so far, with a day in the workshop and a morning flying, I have observed that the channel order (Jeti PPM stream) is fixed. If you change the mapping for one model, it is changed for all models that are bound to the DM9. As I intend to use this bridge only for my simple BNF models that cannot be upgraded to a Jeti Rx, this tends to be a non-issue.

If anyone needs screen shots, let me know, but it is standard Device Explorer setup for PPM; just be sure to select PPM Negative.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515
I ordered (and received, today) a DM9 module. The OP is quite busy, but he had taken the time to answer the pinouts: five pins that accept standard servo male pins. Top-most is PPM (Negative), skip a pin, then Power-positive, followed by Power-ground, and, finally, a fifth, unused, position.

I could not get the binding between the DM9 and a Spektrum Rx to work until I changed my Jeti Rx PPM output from PPM Positive to PPM Negative.

No photos, yet, but I did choose PPM Computed so that failsafe will work and extra channels are still available on the Rx.

I powered the DM9 from the PPM channel on my Jeti Rx.

So far, sitting on the workbench, it works great and I can arrange channels using Device Explorer.

I will fabricate a case and some battery power, but I strongly suspect it will look similar to what has already been posted; why reinvent the wheel? :-)

Michael
Oct 11, 2014, 06:57 AM
In search of speed......
So theres no difference compare to my cheaper Orange TX (Jeti JR/Spektrum box)....work the same and I was expecting that.

I had no problems at all with my Orange one, solid TX connection with my BNF planes/quads
Oct 11, 2014, 07:15 AM
Michael

Personal Preference

I know too many folks who have had bad experiences with Orange equipment and Lemon does not yet make a Tx module (as of two weeks ago, IIRC.)

Your work did trigger my interest in getting off my six and fabricating one. Love it.

Different strokes...

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansy
So theres no difference compare to my cheaper Orange TX (Jeti JR/Spektrum box)....work the same and I was expecting that.

I had no problems at all with my Orange one, solid TX connection with my BNF planes/quads
Oct 11, 2014, 03:32 PM
is there a place to get the DSM2 module without the AR7010 JR all I can find is the combo (SPMMSJR720) ?
Oct 11, 2014, 08:47 PM
Michael
No joy on my end - tried every which way, even reached out to HH.

What I did was line up a customer for the AR7010 before placing the order as I had no need for a Spektrum Rx. Had a taker at my field and, with colder Wx forcing its way in every now and then (Maine), a gentle reminder that building season is rapidly approaching was all that was needed.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputtmaru
is there a place to get the DSM2 module without the AR7010 JR all I can find is the combo (SPMMSJR720) ?
Oct 12, 2014, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515
No joy on my end - tried every which way, even reached out to HH.

What I did was line up a customer for the AR7010 before placing the order as I had no need for a Spektrum Rx. Had a taker at my field and, with colder Wx forcing its way in every now and then (Maine), a gentle reminder that building season is rapidly approaching was all that was needed.

Michael
Sounds like a plan. Thanks
Nov 08, 2014, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan_driver24
After doing as much research as I could to see how people are using Spektrum through their Jeti radios, I found very little info that I was happy with. I did this research before I got my DS16 (replacing my DX8 and Graupner MZ-24). I found many people are using the Orange DYI Module.

A good friend of mine bought two and gave me one to make it work with Horizon Hobby BnF models but I found the module to be very inconstant and lost reception making my model fly on it's own. I was very displeased with anything Orange related so I decided to try something more reliable.

With all of this being said here's what I came up with. I built a Jeti to Spektrum bridge. Here are the items I used:

- Jeti R4 Receiver
- Protek LiFe 2100mah 2s 6.6v Battery
- RX On/Off Swtich
- Pelican 1010 Micro Case
- Spektrum DM9 Airmod for JR Radio.

I put the R4 receiver in the Airmod case to make everything look clean. I mounted the Antenna to the lid so while using it I could have it open up for better reception. I have used this to fly my beloved Blade 200qx many many times with awesome range with no lag or anything.

Here are the pics and tell me what you guys think. Thank You

Setup was really easy to do on this Awesome radio. Hopefully this can show some people that this mod is possible with the Jeti.
hello anyone have a drawing connections between Jeti RX and DM9 ??

hello quelqu'un aurai un dessin pour les branchements entre un RX Jeti et le DM9 ??
Nov 11, 2014, 02:48 AM
Nobody ??
Nov 11, 2014, 11:50 AM
Michael

Dm9

Doing this from memory, but someone else might chime in.

There are five female pins in the DM9. Standard Male servo pins fit easily, removed from the servo plug shell.
  1. Top pin is PPM (Negative, not positive.)
  2. Second pin is unused.
  3. Next pin is POSITIVE (6 - 9 volts, IIRC).
  4. Next pin is NEGATIVE.
  5. Bottom pin is unused.

You could take a standard servo extension and gently remove the male pins from the plastic housing. Black / brown is NEGATIVE. Red is POSITIVE. White / Yellow is PPM Negative output from Rx. I used low-temp hot melt glue to keep the pins from pulling out of the DM9.

Set the Rx to PPM Negative, Computed (not Direct, if you want failsafe to work.)

I set the Rx to eight channels and 21msec because of what I read in another post, but forget the post #; do a search. As the Jeti is quite flexible in channel assignment, I just took a standard full-house default assignment and make adjustments on a per model basis; stored in the Jeti Tx, obviously.

Once a Jeti model is bound to the DM9, copying the model and changing allows the DM9 to be shared across models; no change, part of Jeti approach. The DM9 needs to be bound to the various Spektrum Rx, but, once bound, it is remembered; binding needs to be performed only once per model.

So far, Helis, multis, EDFs, and gliders all seem to work just fine. I used a 2S A123 that I had lying around.

The hardest part of the project was getting a nice rectangular opening cut in a plastic hobby box such that the DM9 would snap in and look "professional".

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilajea1
hello anyone have a drawing connections between Jeti RX and DM9 ??

hello quelqu'un aurai un dessin pour les branchements entre un RX Jeti et le DM9 ??
Dec 26, 2014, 07:34 AM
In search of speed......
Anybody tried with a JR DMSS backplate yet? I got that Ninja Quad for christmas and it need a JR Xbus receiver to work.....
Jun 23, 2015, 09:30 PM
I have a DM9 AND an Orange RF module... I can't get either to bind to an mCPX BL sadly.

I definatelly have the pins hooked up correctly on the back of both modules. My question comes in the radio (DS14). I see 2 places to set the PPM to negative. One is in device explorer, the other is in Menu->System->Configuration->"PPM Con. Settings". I have tried setting both to positive.. and both to negative. I have the mCPX sitting in bind mode and I'm holding down the bind switch on the module while applying power to it.

what am I doing wrong
Jun 24, 2015, 06:41 AM
Michael

Distance?

I use the DM9 with my Jeti and, as with many 2.4 systems, make sure that you have about 2 meters between the Tx (DM9, in this case) and the Rx.

I assume from your comment about the mCPX that the bind between the Jeti Tx and the Rx that drives the DM9 is not what you mean by not being able to bind.

I have never had a binding problem if I hold the module at arms length, away from the model.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMark
I have a DM9 AND an Orange RF module... I can't get either to bind to an mCPX BL sadly.

I definatelly have the pins hooked up correctly on the back of both modules. My question comes in the radio (DS14). I see 2 places to set the PPM to negative. One is in device explorer, the other is in Menu->System->Configuration->"PPM Con. Settings". I have tried setting both to positive.. and both to negative. I have the mCPX sitting in bind mode and I'm holding down the bind switch on the module while applying power to it.

what am I doing wrong

Quick Reply