RCM plans, FREE!!!! - Page 501 - RC Groups
Sep 17, 2017, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80
I'm working on the Samurai (#676), off-and-on, while repairing a Radian that a novice drove through a tree, and charging batteries after a nice afternoon, flying.

A thought occurred to me... that it might be worth the effort to continue the supplements to the Illustrated Plans Guide (IPG).

The original IPG covered the period from October, 1963 (the first issue) until October 1979. (584 aircraft). Supplement 1 covered November 1979 to June 1981 (62 aircraft)
Supplement 2 covered July 1981 to January 1984 (73 aircraft).

After the last supplement, RCM published an additional 451 sets of plans.

Alternately, I've thought about producing a series of "RCM Year Books" that would have the article and reduced-size plan fro every thing within a year, either calendar or publishing (Begins in October).
David,
My Illustrated Plans Guide Suppelment book has three more supplements. So after Supplement 5 an additional 451 plans were published? My math says that would be 2.68 plans per month which sounds reasonable as RCM was published another 14 or so years.

For reference;

Supplement 3 covered February1984 to June 1986

Supplement 4 covered July 1986 to March 1989 and

Supplement 5 covered April 1989 to June of 1991
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2017, 10:15 AM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Thanks for letting me know.
I have supplements 1, 2, and 3.
I was unaware of the existence of numbers 4 & 5.
I know they have not appeared on EBAY.
I now have two new documents to hunt.
Sep 17, 2017, 05:17 PM
RCM released second volume of the IPG called " Illustrated Plans Guide Suppelments" that included all five supplements. It looks almost the same as the first only thicker e.g. more pages. cover pic below. It was part of the Anthology Library Series they produced for several years.

They designed it to be added to the first as all the supplements page numbers start wher the first IPG pages end. I never saw seperate volumes for 1, 2, and three.
Sep 17, 2017, 08:37 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Thanks for the further light. I bought the first volume and the supplements 1, 2 & 3 as four individual volumes, each with their own covers, at least they did until I had them sliced up into individual sheets and placed into binders. I'll keep watch and see what I can find.
Sep 17, 2017, 08:43 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4

SAMURAI pl-676 restoration

SAMURAI
pl-676
OZ ID 6758 (article & plan)
This thread post 4767 (unscaled), 4779 (plan)
Elijah's Blog Post 486 (plan & article)
JHatton Article
IPG page 03-017
Feb-77
Wallace, Bob
Span 61-inches

The only extant plan is Elijah's. It had a substantial interpage gap. With the assistance of the IPG and the article, I was able to generate the missing geometry (pretty well) and to restore the text.
Last edited by davidterrell80; Sep 18, 2017 at 12:23 PM.
Sep 18, 2017, 09:38 AM

LIKI-TIKI print

That's a gorgeous job of the print. A keeper. Thanks!

And a question: Is there another drawing for the landing gear/sponson? I didn't see it on the restored print.

And is the original magazine article available somewhere?

But, again, thanks, it's beautiful.
Sep 18, 2017, 12:18 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
You are welcome.
There is an article on Outerzone "OZ" at the link in my post.
There is also a link to the JHatton article, above.
The plan mentions using retracts (see note 1), but also provides an alternate fixed gear wire pattern. Much is left to the builder to work out (radio, servos, push rods, and gear).
And I agree, it's very pretty.
I would probably clip the wings to 50", make it electric, and use servoless retracts. I could also see doing a single main-float seaplane arrangement a'la the Nakajima Rufe.

And please pardon the two spelling errors... I blame it on the recent headaches.
Last edited by davidterrell80; Sep 18, 2017 at 12:25 PM.
Sep 18, 2017, 03:16 PM

Liki Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH
That's a gorgeous job of the print. A keeper. Thanks!

And a question: Is there another drawing for the landing gear/sponson? I didn't see it on the restored print.

And is the original magazine article available somewhere?

But, again, thanks, it's beautiful.
Peter,

I have just read the magazine article and Jan Sakert, the designer, professes that those evolved were the result of much deliberation and thought. In the end I think he used that wonderful mathmatical system of 'guesstimate'. From the article:

"SPONSON: The original aircraft had a foam core sponson. Find a friend with a wire or see if any of the foam core advertisers in this magazine will cut a section to your specification at reasonable cost. If this is too involved for you then build up the structure like a wing. Use any 12-1 8% symmetrical section. An 8―-inch chord and 24-inch span will keep you in the ball park. Epoxy gear blocks and plywood anti-twist ribs into the core. Sheet the sponson, rolling a single wetted sheet around the leading edge. Contact cement makes sheeting a foam core quite an easy task. Sand, seal, and cover with silkspan or silk. Slide through fuselage cut-outs, align and cement into place from the inside. On the outside form a fillet with one of the many putty type epoxies that can be found in hobby shops and hardware stores."

That is about all I can say about them but I hope it helps.

Al
Sep 18, 2017, 03:19 PM

Liki Tiki

Peter,

Just re-read your questions and you asked about the original article. It is available on this thread but to save you the hassle of finding it I've attached it.

Al
Sep 18, 2017, 08:48 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
That's me... substituting the Samurai for the Liki-Tiki; missing the post title and all. Let me stay away from the sharp implements for a while. Or, as we would say in Texas, growing up... "David, stay away from that wheelbarrow. You know you don't know nuthin' about machinery."
Sep 20, 2017, 08:42 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4

LAZY ALAN (BOAT) pl-341 new plan image

LAZY ALAN (BOAT)
pl-341
Not on OZ
This thread post 4113 (plan)
Elijah's Blog post 127 (article & plan)
JHatton Article
IPG page 11-004
May-68
Boyer, J. Alan
Length 47.5 inches

New image from magazine. Text and some geometry restored. I had to set the drawing on a 38-inch page.
Sep 24, 2017, 12:36 AM

Showoff

From the scans posted by David a while ago now here is my tracing of the Showoff. A pretty little biplane designed by Chuck Cunningham for a Super Tigre 46. Looking at the design I reckon a modern day 52 four stroke motor and modern radio gear would produce a real good weekend hack.

As with all my tracings if you notice a mistake please inform my so I can amend the drawing and, if building from it, measure at least twice before cutting.

Al
Sep 24, 2017, 05:08 AM

Showoff pl-156

hogal,

Excellent CAD work. For me I all those colors just are to loud so I made it in to a black and white 2 bit pdf.

Also the canvas was not quite 36 inches so I set it to that figure so when someone tries to get a print it won't automatically scale it 1/2 inch larger.

Regards
Last edited by Roguedog; Sep 24, 2017 at 03:00 PM.
Sep 24, 2017, 02:14 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4

FOKKER D7 pl-996 new restoration

FOKKER D7
pl-996
Not on OZ
Not previously on this thread

Elijah's Blog Post 828 (Plan and Article)
JHatton Article
Jul-87
Whitehead, Gordon E.
Span 53.5 inches

Started with new scans, provided by JHatton. Cleaned, stitched, and scaled pages. Filled in the interpage gaps. Restored all text. Generally smoothed the geometry. Placed images on 36-inch wide paper.
Last edited by davidterrell80; Sep 24, 2017 at 02:35 PM.
Sep 24, 2017, 02:28 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
A technical reminder for everyone posting files:

Please include the name of the model/plan you are uploading in the text of the post; because, the search engines do not index the name of the attached file(s).

If you do not include the plan name in the body of your post, someone using Google or the RCM search function to look for plans will not find your posting.

This was the reason I started the index for myself, some time ago.

David

Quick Reply