Carbon Z Cub Upgrade - Castle Talon 90 and E-flite Power 60

Are you ready to increase the power in your Carbon Z Cub?

Splash

Take your Carbon Z Cub from great to awesome!

The stock power system on the Carbon Z Cub is good but if you want to do some hovering with power to pull out you are going to need to upgrade the power system. Some CZC owners will upgrade the speed controller to a Talon 90 and stop there. For the ultimate power upgrade you need to also get the E-flite Power 60 470KV motor. This will also allow you to spin a bigger prop and we all know that more thrust is better!

Castle Creations Talon 90

The Talon 90's BEC can give you 20 amps of peak power and 9 amps of continuous power to run your servos and reciever. This ESC is good for fixed wing planes up to 10 pounds and scale planes that weigh in at 20 pounds. The finned case is made to keep everything cool even in tight locations. At $89.95 you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Specs:

• Retail price - $89.95
  • Item number - 010-0097-00
  • Input voltage MIN - 3S LiPo
  • MAX - 6S LiPo
  • Max continuous amps at full throttle - 90 amps
  • BEC voltage - User selectable choice of 6 or 8 volt output
  • BEC output - 20 amp peak, 9 amp continuous
  • Dimensions - Width: 1.7" (43mm)
  • Length - 3.14" (80mm)
  • Depth - 0.7" (18mm)
  • Weight - 3.0 oz. (84.5g) with 150mm power wires and no battery connectors

E-flite Power 60 470 KV

The Power 60 outrunner was designed for planes that are between 6- 12-pounds. This motor runs on a 6S lipo and is perfect for planes that require around 1800 watts of power. This motor can spin 15 x 8 - 17 x 7 electric props. I went with a 16x8 APC for good 3d performance and good battery run times.

Specs:

• Recommended Prop Range - 15 x 8 - 17 x 7 electric propeller
  • Voltage - 22.2V (6S LiPo, 4400-5000mAh)
  • RPM/Volt (Kv) - 470Kv
  • Resistance (Ri) - 0.02 ohm
  • Idle Current (Io) - 2.1A @ 20V
  • Continuous Current - 65A
  • Maximum Burst Current - 80A for 15 seconds
  • Speed Control - 80A brushless
  • Weight - 13.0 oz (380 g)
  • Overall Diameter - 2.00 in (50mm)
  • Shaft Diameter - 0.24 in (6.0mm)
  • Overall Length - 2.40 in (62mm)

Aluminum Spinner

I replaced the stock unit with an E-flite 2.5 mm aluminum spinner. It not only looks better but also is more secure and less prone to vibration.

Specs:

• Aluminum construction
  • Two included collets (5mm & 6mm)
  • Fits APC electric props
  • Scale appearance
  • Backplate with retaining socket head cap screw for cone attachment

Build Photos

Flight Video

Take a look at the video Jason Cole and I shot of our Carbon Z Cubs with upgraded power plants.

RCGroups Video Podcast No. 4 - Carbon Z Cub Mods (23 min 23 sec)

Conclusion

The added power in no way takes away from flying the Cub. It actually enhances your flying experience. If you want to fly in a scale like manner the stock power plant is fine but if you want more power this is the way to go. It was fairly simple and I think the upgraded components make the Carbon Z Cub more reliable in the long run.

I want to give a big shout out to RCGroups member Prof100. It was his blog post that inspired all of these mods. I would also like to blame him for all the money spent on this project...just kidding!

Aug 27, 2014, 07:19 PM
I Fly!
Nice job you make me really want a big cub! Interested in a trade for a Hanger 9 Kantana 50 with a Power 60 and full eflite digital servos? Just down the road in Huntsville Alabama!
Aug 27, 2014, 07:41 PM
Watts up ?
Great improvement indeed - Begs the question why this was not the chosen motor as standard as the price difference is minimal but the performance gains significant. Great tip about the velcro to tow gliders. Never thought that would work so will use this this summer. Thanks guys
Aug 27, 2014, 08:04 PM
Zero Mistakes High
Does someone sell the shark teeth decals?
Aug 27, 2014, 09:12 PM
Admin Deluxe
They do. Do you think I need to do an article about that as well? Have I exceeded my CZC mod limit?!
Aug 28, 2014, 12:42 AM
Watts up ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham
They do. Do you think I need to do an article about that as well? Have I exceeded my CZC mod limit?!
Aug 28, 2014, 09:01 PM
A pity it's not available with just servos for a lower price!
Aug 28, 2014, 11:04 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
Did you do a battery tray modification also. I didn't watch the video yet, maybe it is in there.

The only downside to this plane that I can see is that they didn't include nav and landing lights on and in it. Oh well. Those can be added. I love lights so I can float fly at dusk. Extends your flying time when you live on a lake.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Aug 29, 2014, 07:21 AM
Admin Deluxe
I put the Morgan Mill tray in. You can find that review here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2231295

I'm looking for nav lights for this plane that can be seen in daylight.
Aug 29, 2014, 09:23 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
Nice review Jim. Thank you.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred

I thought I would check your review all out when it was done. I didn't know you did it in parts.
I really one one for the lake. I can fly it in the snow in the winter, on the lake in the spring and summer/fall.
Aug 29, 2014, 02:52 PM
Admin Deluxe
I think I'm going to do a single final article with all the reviews and links included.
Aug 29, 2014, 07:51 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Quote:
I think I'm going to do a single final article with all the reviews and links included.
Jim Sir thanks for taking the time to bring us this gem of a Z-Cub!

What a sweet bird!
Sep 01, 2014, 01:47 AM
Watts up ?
Quote:
I put the Morgan Mill tray in. You can find that review here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2231295

I'm looking for nav lights for this plane that can be seen in daylight.
Jim, these Nav lights are the best around - They can be clearly seen in even sunny conditions. I used them on Scale planes right though to FPV planes as a safely feature for full size traffic. http://www.braincube-aero.com/
Sep 02, 2014, 12:23 AM
Thanks Jim for the upgrade info,Where did you get the shark decals from love the look.Thanks Ross
Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 AM
Admin Deluxe
The tiger teeth came from here.
I had to shave some of the plane to get it smooth and then I painted it blue.

Quick Reply