SD28 & Other SJ4000 Copies Thread - RC Groups
Aug 26, 2014, 03:01 PM
Discussion

SD28 & Other SJ4000 Copies Thread

Due to people receiving fake versions of SJ4000 Action Cam, most notably the SD28 from ACMELL and to better give support to people who got this cameras I opened this thread.

Also due to people complaining in the SJ4000 Owners Thread.

FAQ:

1. How do I know if I have a genuine SJ4000 or a fake one?

A: Check this website: http://www.foxoffer.com/blog/2014/07...d-fake-sj4000/

Compare your camera.

Please notice that the fake manufacturers are already fixing those mistakes, most notably the spelling "resistabt" in the box and some other imperfections.

Even then if you suspect that you have a fake camera the only way to make sure is to upgrade your camera firmware with genuine SJ4000's firmwares. If it bricks you have a fake one (don't worry, you can recover it!)

Also please notice that some of those cameras are not considered "fakes", like SD28. Some cameras are sold by some stores as being SJ4000 but are really not. So it's not really a manufacturer mistake, but suppliers' and sellers'.

2. If I don't have SJ4000, which camera do I have?

A: That's a though question. There's no way to make sure. There are many fake SJ4000s from different manufacturers in the market right now.

So far these are the known possible models and its manufacturers website:

SD28 - made by ACMELL
Product page: http://www.acmell.com/products.asp?id=437
Firmware: http://www.acmell.com/news.asp?id=98

3. How do I upgrade my camera's firmware?

A: Follow these steps:

1. Download your camera's firmware from manufacturer's website (check it above)
2. Take out your microSD and plug in on your PC
3. Erase everything in your microSD
4. Extract/paste the firmware file in microSD
5. Put microSD back in your camera
6. Press the power button and wait (takes some time, about 30 seconds, just wait)

4. Which are the fake cameras firmwares?

A: They are as listed below:

SD28
20140702V01
20140814V01

5. I tried to update my camera's firmware but I bricked it. What now?

A: This happens when you try to updade your camera with another camera's firmware. In this case, you need to follow the following steps:

1. Download your camera's model firmware.
2. Take out the battery and microSD
3. Plug your microSD into your computer
4. Erase everything in your microSD
5. Extract/paste your camera's model firmware into microSD.
6. Put it back in your camera.
7. Put the battery back and press power (wait about 30 seconds)

This is an indicator that you have a fake camera. If you can't make it work with SJ4000 firmwares then you probably have fake one.

6. Where can I buy a genuine SJ4000?
A: There are some online stores selling genuine SJ4000 (made by SJCAM).

The most reliable one seems to be www.foxoffer.com

More info about fake cameras and how to recover if you bricked it:
Fake SJ4000 from DealExtreme SD28 & How to recover it (13 min 6 sec)

Please help us identify the fake/copycats cameras! Any information is valuable.
Last edited by Calisi; Aug 26, 2014 at 11:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2014, 07:31 PM
:)
Awesome, thanks mate. It will be good to link discussion on real or fake SJ4000's here from now on.

May I suggest leaving the "Owners Thread" out of the title as that is very similar to the SJ4000 Tech discussion thread, just to avoid confusion?

Cheers!
Aug 26, 2014, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma
Awesome, thanks mate. It will be good to link discussion on real or fake SJ4000's here from now on.

May I suggest leaving the "Owners Thread" out of the title as that is very similar to the SJ4000 Tech discussion thread, just to avoid confusion?

Cheers!
Ok mate! Good suggestion.
Aug 27, 2014, 05:49 AM
I bought one from HDKing. It claimed as the one of three manufacturer of sj4000. They also claim to have same quality.
I wonder if it use same chips or even same board, but the software developed by their own.
The video quality is good, but still photo is awful. They said, since wifi need to use some CPU power, they decide to sacrifice the still photo quality.

Here is the sample of video.

SJ4000 HDKing test (1 min 39 sec)

camera mount wiggle a lot. Here are the picture taken from video.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6&l=5c7688e4b5
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Don forget to put it on full screen.
Last edited by zhoter; Aug 27, 2014 at 09:21 PM.
Aug 27, 2014, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhoter
I bought one from HDKing. It claimed as the one of three manufacturer of sj4000. They also claim to have same quality.
I wonder if it use same chips or even same board, but the software developed by their own.
The video quality is good, but still photo is awful. They said, since wifi need to use some CPU power, they decide to sacrifice the still photo quality.

Here is the sample of video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF7Sf_Dx4K4
Actually i don't like the video quality that much Also why is the date shaking?
Aug 27, 2014, 09:20 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
So. I'm wanting the wifi version until I read a new post saying the still photos were poor due to power consumption of wifi! Anyone else experience this? Or is this a fake issue? If so then I will buy a standard 4000. Next question. From reading, it looks like BG, fox offer, B&H photo have legit ones? Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe we need a list of reputable dealers that sell the real thing or are we not there yet?
Aug 27, 2014, 03:30 PM
I've just received what I assume to be fake SJ 4000(from Foxoffer page http://www.foxoffer.com/blog/2014/08...-copy-version/. )

It was bought as a SJ4000 , incidentally

What's not clear to me from what I've read is whether it's no good by comparison with original (which I obviously can't compare) or just an alternative Cheap GoPro clone?

I'm unsure whether I should start arguing with the seller for a refund and buy on 'original' clone or stick with this?

Anyone know?
Aug 27, 2014, 08:42 PM
@zhoter

I think your video quality is really bad.

Mine also has problems with photos, they appear to have the wrong aspect ratios and theres nothing I can do about it. Photos are all distorted.

@plantrob

Some cameras are not as good as the "genuine" SJ4000

But some are have identical footage quality, like SD28.

There are some incoveniences though, like: SJ4000 batteries won't fit in the fake ones, also you can't upgrade the firmware because they are specific to the camera model, so you lose a lot of new features that are added.

Also, as happens with my SD28, the photos are awful, they have the wrong aspect ratios (which seems to be locked to 4:3 no matter what) and they get distorted.
Aug 27, 2014, 09:01 PM
Quoting my case from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisi
Hello guys,

Recently I bought what I thought was a SJ4000 from DX.
After I tried to update its firmware and it went all black (with some ocasional starting sound playing randomly) I realized I had a fake one. So I did some research and found I actually had an ACMELL's SD28 camera. Downloaded the firmware from their website and could recover it.

I made a YouTube video about this subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ej0HhF7Uoo

I contacted DX support and they told me the supplier told them these are genuine cameras from the same manufacturer but from a different batch, and that's why there are slight differences. Shame on you, DX.

I contacted ACMELL support and they were very informative, sent me the last firmwares, etc.

The problems with this camera are its photo, thats are awful. They're all distorted. I think they got the aspect ratios all wrong.
Also the SJ4000 batteries won't fit.
Official DX answer has been:

Quote:
Dear all,

Firstly, we have to announce that there is no fake camera about SJ4000. As what Janmee said, there is no a brand names SJ4000.

Secondly, some customers received the item but found there is a little different from the one as our product page describes. The reason is that we get the cameras from our suppliers via different batches. And our suppliers admitted they made some adjustments on the product appearance but keep the same quality.

Thirdly, please contact our customer service if you are not satisfied with the product appearance or the quality. We will follow up your request as soon as we can, please don't worry.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks for your understanding!
Even though the SJ4000 won't fit in my camera and I can't upgrade its firmware.
Aug 27, 2014, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fede.97
It was mounted to Dji Phantom, and the camera mount wiggle. So I let Youtube reduce the shake. Actually even it shake alot, when you freeze, the picture is quite sharp.

Let me try to get another footage.
Last edited by zhoter; Aug 27, 2014 at 09:40 PM.
Aug 27, 2014, 09:14 PM
I have a SJ4000. Hoping it's not a fake. I purchased off of AliExpress.com. So like the GoPro 3. You can use the DJ4000 as a flight camera too. With an AV out cable like this one?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ead_200mm.html
Aug 27, 2014, 10:35 PM

SJ4000 by HDKing test

SJ4000 By HDKing test (1 min 17 sec)

Waterproof case is visible on top and bottom left corner.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fede.97
Blame YouTube. That's their video stabilization software causing the date to shake.

And I really like the video quality.
Aug 28, 2014, 02:57 AM
I hope someone will make a tear down on fake sj4000. I suspect they all share same board, or sensor, or video chip, or some of the components.

That is why the final video quality are similar. And even may be there is no really fake sj4000. Since they will fight each other on copyright issues. They're just several companies buying essential parts (board, or sensor, or video chip) from one company.
Aug 28, 2014, 04:14 AM
Quote:
It was mounted to Dji Phantom, and the camera mount wiggle. So I let Youtube reduce the shake. Actually even it shake alot, when you freeze, the picture is quite sharp.

Let me try to get another footage.
Ah, ok now i understand. Anyway IMHO video is not as good as ones from original one
Quote:
I hope someone will make a tear down on fake sj4000. I suspect they all share same board, or sensor, or video chip, or some of the components.

That is why the final video quality are similar. And even may be there is no really fake sj4000. Since they will fight each other on copyright issues. They're just several companies buying essential parts (board, or sensor, or video chip) from one company.
Somebody here posted a teardown and his fake camera was the same as original one but it may not be the case as bill once said some clones uses sunplus chips

Quick Reply