Aug 26, 2014, 06:24 AM
got any foam to bash?
Contest

Saturday night slow flyer contest

Rules are the same as last year, but posted here.

no entry fee, but donations will be accepted to defray costs of balloons, helium (geeze, getting very expensive!), lights and black pillars of death!

sign up at 7pm on saturday. Fun starts around 8:30pm. Make sure to bring multiple CHARGED batteries as rounds can go quickly.

Thanks
Tom
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Aug 26, 2014 at 03:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2014, 09:29 AM
AMA 415
I'll be there again this year for sure, donation in hand!
Aug 26, 2014, 02:02 PM
I think the donation is fair - material costs sure keep going up, and we have a habit of breaking the Pillars of Death, which can't be cheap either And the prize of helium has gone sky high (pun intended).

Rob
Aug 26, 2014, 07:23 PM
AMA 415
There is actually a global shortage of helium, thus the increased cost. We use helium in a process at work and for a while it was "panic central" on securing the supply!
Aug 29, 2014, 10:24 PM
How high will it go?
I will make a donation to that whether I fly it or not.

Let's use hydrogen in the balloons
Latest blog entry: FAA registration
Aug 30, 2014, 11:40 AM
Oh the humanity....
Aug 30, 2014, 12:18 PM
got any foam to bash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake
I will make a donation to that whether I fly it or not.

Let's use hydrogen in the balloons
OK you bring the tank!
Aug 31, 2014, 09:57 PM
How high will it go?
LOL no one would score mare than 1.....unless you get some touches. I think what might work better is acetylene, those actually explode when they pop without a spark igniting it.
Latest blog entry: FAA registration
Sep 09, 2014, 07:15 AM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt
OK you bring the tank!
Tom,

Are you still looking for Helium?

I have a big tank that I believe is about half-full that you can have.

Please PM me or call me for arrangements.

Gabe
Latest blog entry: Single-stick Tx design thread
Sep 21, 2014, 06:16 PM
Hey Tom,

I have one small suggestion for next year's contest. When you mount the balloons to the Pillars of Death it would be great if you can spread the balloons out vs connecting them in sets of threes. The reason for the suggestion is that if you touch or burst one you're almost guaranteed to touch/break the set. Spreading them out will not allow us to do that.

Otherwise don't change a thing!

Rob
Sep 21, 2014, 06:54 PM

Get by without Helium ?

How about inflate two Pillars of Death and a bunch of balloons with ordinary air, stretch a sting between the two pillars and hang balloons from the string down at different heights.
It might work. Though a plane entangled in the string might bring the whole structure down.
Sep 21, 2014, 07:19 PM
Cool idea but I also agree that tangling would likely be a problem.

Rob
Sep 21, 2014, 08:16 PM
Now that's a low pass !!
I think basically leave everything the same but maybe make the strings on the three balloons on top of the pillars of death different lengths and the lowest one tied right at the top of the pillar. The pilots would have to systematically start at the top and work their way down to avoid getting tangled in the strings.
Sep 22, 2014, 05:39 AM
got any foam to bash?
we usually do that, but the problem that night may have been inferior balloons. Single balloons that were flying at 8pm were not by the time we got to that round. I had to mount three balloons at the top and mid just to get them to fly.

I also have to start using 5lb fishing line again. the twine I had started to absorb a lot of moisture that night and got heavy.

Tom
Sep 22, 2014, 04:20 PM
Now that's a low pass !!
No matter what changes are made if any my son and I will be there next year with a handful of spare props & plenty of charged batteries. Tom, thank you for all you do. We spend the entire year talking about previous "Fairs" and looking forward to the next one.