Aug 25, 2014, 11:20 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
also, just as a size note, what you have here is accually a F5E, the F5N are ex swiss birds....the swiss F5N's have the F-20 style flat nose radome, and the F20 style larger LEX's. not a big deal, even though the paint scheme is from a F5N. and im glad you didnt do the same scheme as mine, because nobody would be able to see it lol...that camo works way too well in blue skies, the only time i can really see it, is in over cast....otherwise, im mostly just guessing when i fly it and yes, at a 160mph, it gets small....fast....and it can get to 1000 ft in a matter of a few seconds, which can also be extremely difficult to see. im glad you guys went brown
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2014, 11:30 PM
just a few exemples. again, all the aggressor F5N's we have are all ex swiss birds. it maybe possible that at some point a E radom was installed on a N in the states, but not likely.

i may be a little obsessed with the F5 family...so im nit picky

after having built 3 F-20's, 2 F-5's and now 2 T38's, some might say im a little crazy

currently building a 62" T38 twin 64mm edf, to replace the hole in my heart after having to sell my big T38... (ps, wings not yet mounted, so they look funny)

if i were designing these FW jets, theyd all have 70's in them to cut weight, no longer needing cheater holes, reducing cost, and you can keep the airframe the same size. and by 70mm, i dont mean a CS 70mm some thing efficient. a 4s or 5s 1300-1500W setup would perform much nicer than these "good sounding" fans i like the way they sound too, but they arnt worth the weight, loss in flight time or performance. to each his own i guess, but if i get one of these F-5's im stickin a 70mm in it
Aug 26, 2014, 12:20 AM
Lee Liddle
Is that the Wow Planes kit?

No, I see it's not. So a scratch build. Nice size.
Aug 26, 2014, 12:25 AM
yeah, the wow planes is quite a bit bigger, around 80in...this lil guy is 62in, 35" ws. still a great size
Aug 26, 2014, 01:25 AM
Kicking Tires
Thread OP
Hi CorsairNut, you're right about the radome (although I might still have time to alter the production version to have the flatter radome), and I agree about the desert camo scheme...I have no idea how you can track your blue camo scheme at those speeds!

I have the prototype's cheater hole fully sheeted over at the moment. Static thrust decreases, but airspeed increases nicely as a bonus, with a slight increase in amps. The usual suspects. The airframe would take one of your hot 70mm setups, I'm sure. Freewing's 80mm 6s inrunner setup gets 105mph in the Mirage and the F-5 should be about the same in speed.

Regarding the current intakes' thickness they are radiused for ideal airflow, but at this smaller scale the result is an intake which appears thicker than the razor-edged F-5 in real life. It is unavoidable with foam, and they are currently as thin as they can be. To my eye in person it doesn't stand out too much, because its thickness is balanced with the wing and tail surfaces's thicknesses. A plastic molded intake would certainly look more scale, but the wall thickness for EPO foam is a fixed factor, so you'd end up with a fairly noticeable transition from the foam wall tapering down to a sharp edged "scale" intake lip. Not to mention, the wings need to be a certain thickness to fit the retracts inside, so sharpening the intake lip would, at least to my eyes, draw attention now to the wing being comparatively much thicker. It's a never ending battle for scale, at which point a composite jet becomes more ideal (see CorsairNut/AirSally/EffluxRC's amazing F-20).

Overall, Freewing designs their 80mm class with the intent to strike a balance between aesthetics, efficiency, cost, and other factors. Our general guideline for this jet class is to make rarer designs accessible to new and intermediate jet pilots. The Intruder, Mirage, and now F-5 are good examples of this. The Mirage and F-5 especially excel in spirited flight, yet slow down to a crawl for landing. They have a wide performance envelope, which is important, not to mention good looks.
Aug 26, 2014, 04:17 AM
Thanks for listening. I've heard a lot of interest in an F5 on these threads. Love the Tiger and I'll certainly be getting one. I'm still flying my 64mm FMS camo F5 from several years ago.
Aug 26, 2014, 05:16 AM
upside down and inside out
Interesting: The swiss tigers were always referred to as F5E. Were they just renamed or were there some changes?

We'd like them back by the way. The hasty sell out is a bit of a political issue here now that the budget for their replacement has been denied.
Aug 26, 2014, 05:18 AM
no catchy phrase
To bad they can't do the paint scheme from top gun and then make an f-14. But I could see how an all black scheme could play tricks on your eyes.
Aug 26, 2014, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump
Interesting: The swiss tigers were always referred to as F5E. Were they just renamed or were there some changes?

We'd like them back by the way. The hasty sell out is a bit of a political issue here now that the budget for their replacement has been denied.
Lol, I did say yes to the Gripen, for we all know its not going to get cheaper in the long run and they start useing the money reserved for the jets for other things

I also wondered about the F5N, didnt even know that there was an F5N...
Aug 26, 2014, 05:38 AM
see you guys should have bought the f20...then you wouldnt be having this problem
Aug 26, 2014, 06:02 AM
Helibase: I voted against the gripen for many reasons. We're not in so much of a rush anyway to get new toys for our 9 to 5 air force.

Corsair nut: Why wouldn't we have this problem? Because nobody would have bought them off us?
Aug 26, 2014, 06:33 AM
Back on topic: It seems the Swiss F5E that went to Florida had some structural parts replaced and a few modifications done to them. Then they entered service as F5N. So it seems to me that F5N ~= F5E? They already had the flat nose when they were bought as F5E many years ago.

http://www.lw.admin.ch/internet/luft...aft/tig5e.html
Aug 26, 2014, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
see you guys should have bought the f20...then you wouldnt be having this problem
hehe, well the F-20 werent even ment for export, for the us gouvernement feared that sales of the F-16 would get a hit (thats what wiki is telling me)
Aug 26, 2014, 07:16 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
aggressor looking good !
Aug 26, 2014, 07:21 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
just a few exemples. again, all the aggressor F5N's we have are all ex swiss birds. it maybe possible that at some point a E radom was installed on a N in the states, but not likely.

i may be a little obsessed with the F5 family...so im nit picky

after having built 3 F-20's, 2 F-5's and now 2 T38's, some might say im a little crazy

currently building a 62" T38 twin 64mm edf, to replace the hole in my heart after having to sell my big T38... (ps, wings not yet mounted, so they look funny)

if i were designing these FW jets, theyd all have 70's in them to cut weight, no longer needing cheater holes, reducing cost, and you can keep the airframe the same size. and by 70mm, i dont mean a CS 70mm some thing efficient. a 4s or 5s 1300-1500W setup would perform much nicer than these "good sounding" fans i like the way they sound too, but they arnt worth the weight, loss in flight time or performance. to each his own i guess, but if i get one of these F-5's im stickin a 70mm in it
very well said CN! I too, cant stand the lack of performance in the " good sounding " fans. a 70mm high efficient fan would do wonders for FW. 5s would prob be suitable for their frame size and the amount of drag on it.

I build all my jets with the utmost of efficiency for performance. big stuff and little stuff included. heres a simple 4s set up from this past weekend on dead packs just before landing. wemo pro, 3750kv 4s.
Phoenix EDF full composite 70mm (0 min 56 sec)
Last edited by stoneenforcer; Aug 26, 2014 at 07:27 AM.

Quick Reply