Aug 24, 2014, 05:45 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

WLtoys V636 "SKYLARK"

INTRODUCTION

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x WLtoys V636 (with a 20.1g 1S 730mAh LiPo )
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 6xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x Charger (using JST connector)
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)

OVERVIEW

From left to right: JJRC F182, WLtoys V636 and WLtoys V212

Transparent lower arm part and rubber feet for soft landing

Beautiful LEDs lights

LiPo

A one cell 730mAh LiPo 5cmx3cmx0.65cm

Propellers

Shaft and ballbearings

Ballbearings 4mmx7mmx2mm (IDxODxWidth) are installed. It's good news because it's reducing considerably frictions and by consequence it's increasing motors life.

Disassembling

By removing 3 screws, canopy can be removed

4 other screws are maintening the bettery bay. When removed, each transparent of the arms can be easily unclipsed. Then, we can access to motors directly.

Motors

8.5mmx20mm coreless

11 teeth pinion. Notice the presence of holes on top part. As for the Alias, this type of motor be out of order by some residue introduction.

Flight controler board

4 LEDs and 1.25mm JST connectors for motors making simple motor replacement

We can find an invensense 6050C for the "6-axis" stablization, a mini54zan for the MCU, a daughter RF board with a beken2423 and the magnetometer for the headless feature. The FC is designed by LG, the same compagny who designed most of the V2x2 WLtoys series.

Transmitter

Headless feature is also included in the new WLtoys model. This function helps beginners and long-range flyers. The orientation is fixed at startup of quadcopter. So it's better to be stand up behind the quadcopter, the rear part facing to you. In this case, when Headless function is engaged, you just need attract the quadcopter with the right stick.

Remember the first version if the V212 with the Drop-out effect. Here, no problem at all, the radio connexion is solid. With some basic mods, you can extend the control range, 150-200m can be reached. The left shoulder button is turnin on/off the additional module (camera, rocket luncher etc...). The right is activating flipping and a fast beep sequence is emmitted until you indicate the direction to flip.
The 3 left pannel buttons allow to choose speed mode between 40%, 60% and 80%. The top right pannel button is activating the 100% sport mode. The middle right pannel button is dedicaced to turn on/off the LED lights. Finally, the last right pannel button is activating the headless mode. You have to press more than 1s to activate it. Press it again to disable it. When the headmode is on, the transmitter is emmitting a slow beep sequence.... I found this point really stressing....

FIRST USAGE

The first time you are powering on the V636, you are positively impressed by the bright LEDs colors emerging from the flyers. You have litteraly a flying rainbow machine. Pushing throttle over 35-40% and the quadcopter is hovering. With the 40% default mode, the yaw rate is extremely slow but pitch and rolls are already good. With such slow yaw rate, it's much harder to fly indoors. The V636 is relatively silent. To increase the yaw rate, you need at least to be in 60% mode. Here it's acceptable but in another hand, pitch and rolls became just great like a V212 under steroids. Pushing forward direction let the quadcopter to have a fast forward. Good news, thanks to its aerodynamic profil, the V636 is windy resistant much more for example than the V212. At 80%, the V636 got insame Pitch and roll rates. You obtain very good acceleration. Vertical lift is good but it's not amazing like for pitch and roll. Naturally, with this machine you are trying to perform fast turning, fummels and basic acrobatics maneouverers. At 100%, paradoxaly, it's hard to flight coz your quad is not possible to keep forward direction constant cause the pitch rate is too strong. You are producing by consequence some oscillations in the z-axis. The flying duration is good, over 7mm in sportive configuration. Definitively, this WLtoys a good flyer. Beaware that when LVC is reached you have few seconds to land. If not, motors are suddently stopped. No drop out have been observed and the range control is very good (you can increase it pointing antennas vertically by drilling a small hole in the canopy). Maybe with a little more vertical lift, some "pumps" would be possible to realize more acrabatic figures. It would have been nice eventually to disable gyroscopes to be in pure "acro" mode.

EDIT 12/15/14 It seems that last batch of V636 are shipped with a V626 rev 2 board with faster yaw rate but with less agressive/sporty pitch/roll rates too. See my V626 review : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2281394

CONCLUSIONS

The V636 is clearly a good value for 60 USD, a real sportive successor of the V212. The "drop out" affair is definitively close with this model. The quad have efficient motors, good flight duration, very agressive pitch and roll rates above 80%, a very beatiful design, a great night flyer capacity, a robust architecture and an easy maintenance. So finally a lot of good points. I regret this relative slow yaw rate even in expert mode which limit a bit narrow fumels.. Controled with a devo controller, the V636 becomes even better ....

UNBOXING

WLtoys V636 Unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy of Tmart) (13 min 31 sec)

PROS

+ Nice design
+ Quality build
+ Sportive quadcopter
+ Headless function (reference fixed at start up "Homelock,")
+ Easy maintenance
+ Very bright LEDs
+ Night flyng capacity
+ Ballbearings (4mmx7mmx2mm)
+ Good flying duration
+ Good range control
+ V2x2 protocol compatible so DeviationTX compatible

CONS

- Slow yaw rate solved with last batch equiped with a V626 rev 2 board
- Holes on top motor part collecting dust residue
- No specific acrobatic modes
- Cut motors below LVC threshold

WLtoys V636 ourdoors test (Courtesy of Tmart) (8 min 47 sec)

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Tmart in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 60 USD at
http://www.tmart.com/sl/54328e23a11e0
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Dec 15, 2014 at 01:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2014, 05:49 AM
Thread OP
Reserved for mods, photos and videos

Controled with a Devo7E
WLtoys V636 outdoors flight controled by DeviationTX (Courtesy of Tmart) (3 min 38 sec)
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Aug 25, 2014 at 12:35 AM.
Aug 24, 2014, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the review. It's a bit disappointing to hear about the slow yaw rate. I wonder if this is a limitation in the rate percentages of the included remote. Perhaps using a Deviation remote and setting the rates the yaw velocity might improve.
Aug 25, 2014, 12:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TronPlayer
Thanks for the review. It's a bit disappointing to hear about the slow yaw rate. I wonder if this is a limitation in the rate percentages of the included remote. Perhaps using a Deviation remote and setting the rates the yaw velocity might improve.

No faster yaw rate with my Devo .... definitively this is the unique bad point ....

I added a new video this time controled by a Devo7E

Ok today I will write all review sorry It's my habitude to start a review like this but I felt a lot of poeple wanted informations asap
Aug 25, 2014, 12:40 AM
Can you add a picture of the quads lights?
Aug 25, 2014, 12:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan93civic
Can you add a shot of the quads lights?
Sure

EDIT I added
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Aug 25, 2014 at 12:48 AM.
Aug 25, 2014, 12:46 AM
Thanks nice review. My Alias is jealous.
Aug 25, 2014, 12:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan93civic
Thanks nice review. My Alias is jealous.
Added a photo (in the middle )
Aug 25, 2014, 12:15 PM
Which batteries do you use?
Aug 25, 2014, 12:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by delano
Which batteries do you use?
The shipped one ...
Aug 25, 2014, 01:27 PM
Great review!!! Have you been able to determine which motors they used? 0820's? They look pretty strong and it looks like an excellent flyer.
Aug 25, 2014, 01:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonerrw
Great review!!! Have you been able to determine which motors they used? 0820's? They look pretty strong and it looks like an excellent flyer.
I didn't write yet the review Let's give a couple of hours ... I got a lot of work last days ...

For motors, photos are self speaking : 8.5mmx20mm
Aug 25, 2014, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
I didn't write yet the review Let's give a couple of hours ... I got a lot of work last days ...

For motors, photos are self speaking : 8.5mmx20mm
The mini review then... Awesome! I will be very interested in which motor they used, and the pinion size as this may turn out to be a nice replacement for the alias motors? Thanks .
Aug 25, 2014, 03:41 PM
Well that slow yaw rate just made up my mind that this is something I no longer want. Pretty disappointing...
Aug 25, 2014, 04:25 PM
I belong in the sky......
The yaw rate may be slower than normal, but it looked like it performed well in the video. Thanks SeByDocky. I just ordered one.

Quick Reply