Aug 23, 2014, 12:24 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Build Log

Depron LadyBird

1 metre wing span ... easy build ... slide on grass ... designed to take up to a 8" prop for quieter flying but could be easily made to take a 64 - 70 mm EDF

LadyBird anyone ?

Lockey
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2014, 01:07 AM
Zen in the art of foam
All ears...
Aug 23, 2014, 02:47 PM
skumgummi dave
Lurking again...
Aug 23, 2014, 03:27 PM
If it's easy, durable, and cool looking, which this looks like one, I'm all ears... errr eyes!

If this can be made out of 9mm EPP, then I'm definitely building one. I have 6 pieces of 24x36 9mm EPP foam boards that just arrived in the mail.
Aug 23, 2014, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the interest guys

As you know, most of the models I design and build are based on 6 mm Depron, but I am sure most other sheet foam products can be used instead by adjusting the measurements to accommodate the different thicknesses

I have been playing with different ideas to make building easier (and quicker) and was intending making this one a "score and bend" type of fuselage build

Unlike the score and build that RC Powers uses, as he scores and folds out, I intend to score and fold in making for a lot nicer finish ... this is probably not new, but is something that I haven't tried with my plans before

I tried this on my Tiny Little Fokker and it worked very well, so will go one further with this one

Lockey

Fuselage (6 min 58 sec)
Aug 23, 2014, 08:01 PM
This will be the top and bottom patterns for the fuselage, to be bent the same way as the Tiny Fokker

Lockey
Aug 24, 2014, 12:41 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
This will be the top and bottom patterns for the fuselage, to be bent the same way as the Tiny Fokker

Lockey
Lockey,

Do you do anything at the folds for re-enforcement? If not, then this technique would save a ton of glue, both volume and weight.

Marty
Aug 24, 2014, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpetri
Lockey,

Do you do anything at the folds for re-enforcement? If not, then this technique would save a ton of glue, both volume and weight.

Marty
Hi Marty, yes I would run a bead of glue down the joint, but I guess it wouldn't be totally necessary, I also tape the outside of the foam before bending and this can either stay on or be removed

Lockey
Aug 24, 2014, 06:26 AM
Plans almost finished, 2 sheets of Depron for this one ... not many parts, should be quite a quick build

Anyone like to have a crack at it ?

I went out on Friday and got myself a box of Depron (20 sheets) so I will make a start next week if I get the chance

I have done a double thickness booms on this one to be able to sink the elevator and rudder servos in and it will also hide the CF spar

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Feb 04, 2017 at 09:46 PM.
Aug 24, 2014, 01:17 PM
Retired CAD guy
Wow Nice version !

I have been making Charas' Harpy for yrs and have just recently been modifying it
See pix.

All I.'ve done is square up the Fuse and narrow the forward wing a bit.

Still I like yours too :-)

Mine needs an RX and ESC and it'll be ready.

Going to an Aero Tow next weekend so I'll be getting ready for it.

We'll compare notes l8r

BOB
Aug 24, 2014, 01:29 PM
Not always grumpy!!
Wow Lockey.

Another fantastic looking bird.

If i ever have time. this could very easily find its way high on my build list
Aug 24, 2014, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Wow Nice version !

I have been making Charas' Harpy for yrs and have just recently been modifying it
See pix.

All I.'ve done is square up the Fuse and narrow the forward wing a bit.

Still I like yours too :-)

Mine needs an RX and ESC and it'll be ready.

Going to an Aero Tow next weekend so I'll be getting ready for it.

We'll compare notes l8r

BOB
This definitely reminded me of the harpy as well. I tried to modify my harpy to fly off water very early in my building career by adding a bottom fuse before learning how to water proof $ tree foam board. ;-) Flew off grass just fine.
Aug 24, 2014, 05:05 PM
michigan jet guy
that is awesome! Phil
Aug 25, 2014, 12:11 AM
Decided to do an optional wing skin in 3 mm Depron with 6 mm wing ribs

I think it looks kinda cool

Or ... maybe a delta wing version ... I think I must have too much time on my hands

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Aug 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM.
Aug 25, 2014, 02:38 AM
Alpha Whisky
Subscribe .... Downloaded Polaris plans two house moves ago but haven`t got started on that one yet. Still flying my amended Mermaid and loving it.

Plenty on the plate right now but I`ll be keen to see this neat design develop ....

Alan W