Flying Models Magazine - RC Groups
Aug 22, 2014, 12:31 PM
Discussion

Flying Models Magazine

Does anyone have any knowledge about what's going on with Carstens Flying Models Magazine? (I am posting here because most of the magazine is dedicated to builders).

I haven't seen an issue come out since probably May of this year. June 2014 was supposed to have come out, but I don't think I even got a copy of that. When I called Carstens about a month ago, I was assured that the July 2014 issue is coming out but that they are running a few months late, and that I would see it within the next week. Well, that didn't happen.
I have both called them and written them, this week, but haven't gotten ahold of anyone and haven't received a return email.

I'm getting a little concerned that they might be going out of business...which would be terrible news. I think they are probably the last builders magazine in America. By now, the September issues should be out, so they're about 3 months behind.

Anyone know anything?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2014, 03:14 PM
I have been a subscriber for years and am still getting the monthly issues. However, my subscription is about to run out and their new price is much to high. I will not be renewing it.
Aug 22, 2014, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
I have been a subscriber for years and am still getting the monthly issues. However, my subscription is about to run out and their new price is much to high. I will not be renewing it.
I know, their price was kind of steep.
My issues stopped, but yet they cashed my check. So I'm kind of concerned I dropped off the radar. But when I called them, they told me a month ago that June was the last issue that came out.

You haven't gotten any more issues after June, have you?
Because if you have, that would contradict what I had heard.

Thanks.
Aug 22, 2014, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude
Does anyone have any knowledge about what's going on with Carstens Flying Models Magazine? (I am posting here because most of the magazine is dedicated to builders).

I haven't seen an issue come out since probably May of this year. June 2014 was supposed to have come out, but I don't think I even got a copy of that. When I called Carstens about a month ago, I was assured that the July 2014 issue is coming out but that they are running a few months late, and that I would see it within the next week. Well, that didn't happen.
I have both called them and written them, this week, but haven't gotten ahold of anyone and haven't received a return email.

I'm getting a little concerned that they might be going out of business...which would be terrible news. I think they are probably the last builders magazine in America. By now, the September issues should be out, so they're about 3 months behind.

Anyone know anything?
I noticed and had to dig out my subscription info. Same deal call no answer. Sad I bought multiple year subscriptions because my wife's school district runs a fund raiser using magazine subscriptions. Only magazine I would subscribe to. Model Aviation is the only thing left worth reading.
Aug 22, 2014, 09:46 PM
Excerpt from the Facebook link, provided above:

It is with regret that Carstens Publicatons, Inc. will be closing permanently at close of business on Friday, August 22, 2014. Carstens Publications, Inc. has been a leading publisher of leading hobby magazines for over 50 years. Unfortunately the current economic climate has placed us in this position. Discussion is continuing with several parties who expressed desire to take on the continuance of the magazines. At this point there is still hope that all three titles will remain in existence. But I can offer no guarantees. We thank you for your patronage over the years, and wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.
--Henry R. Carstens, President
Carstens Publications, Inc.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:39 PM
1:1 scale is fun!
Sad day indeed.
Aug 23, 2014, 07:07 AM
Closed Account
Very sad...Flying Models was the last of the model aircraft magazines worth reading. Received the recent Model Aviation magazine yesterday and it took about 10 minutes to "read it"; it sure is beginning to look just like nothing more than a product review pulp with a smacking of AMA information thrown in to keep it going. A real disappointment.

Soft landings,

Joe
Aug 23, 2014, 09:54 AM
Yeah, the AMAs magazine has to have all that organization stuff...it is what it is. I just hate the way the hobby is drifting to ARFs and gyro stabilized quad copters. Few people can build anymore. I'm the youngest guy in our club and I'm 55. Once the geezers are gone that will be the end of that era.
Aug 23, 2014, 10:09 AM
Owner - Flying Models
Hi guys,
I just wanted to let you know that I am subscribing to the thread and will be reading it as it grows. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the future of FM right now, other saying that I am optimistic about its future beyond yesterday's unfortunate announcement.

Thayer
Aug 23, 2014, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer
Hi guys,
I just wanted to let you know that I am subscribing to the thread and will be reading it as it grows. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the future of FM right now, other saying that I am optimistic about its future beyond yesterday's unfortunate announcement.

Thayer

It's probably too early to tell if current subscriptions will be honored if FM is able to re-launch, isn't it? Is it still possible to purchase back issues, or plans from Carstens plan service?

I'm very sorry to hear of this unfortunate event.
You guys were literally the last true builder's magazine in this country.
The Brits have a good one, but the subscription is expensive...
Aug 23, 2014, 11:47 AM
Owner - Flying Models
Thanks for the kind words. It is too early to know for sure, but continuing the subs is definitely the goal. There would be a lot of upset ex-customers if that fell through.

I can't comment as to the current status of back issue and plan sales. Currently I am just an out of work editor.
Aug 23, 2014, 04:39 PM
I hope it can continue in some form, even a digital only one would be fine with me. I don't know how many sales they had from newsstands but it couldn't have been many since it was pretty rare to see one around my region.
Aug 23, 2014, 10:50 PM
Hang in there Thayer. There are quite a few of us out here with fingers crossed.

I'm sure the owners are looking at many options. Maybe the plans library can be sold off?

I saw your back issue storage area a couple of years ago. Lots of paper back there!

Eric
Aug 24, 2014, 09:12 AM
I've been an FM reader since 1954, and published an article in 1988. I hope that the on-line version of Flying Models will continue (I've been an on-line reader since January).

Jim R.