Jul 10, 2015, 11:46 AM
Potential Future Has-Been
nixed
Last edited by pyronaught; Aug 18, 2015 at 05:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2015, 01:38 PM
Ron_RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyronaught
I was thinking that too about the mirror. Here's another picture that shows just how mirror-like the saucer is.
It looks pretty big! What is the diameter of the saucer?
Jul 18, 2015, 07:19 PM
nixed
Last edited by pyronaught; Aug 18, 2015 at 05:13 PM.
Jul 23, 2015, 04:56 PM
Ron_RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFM
Interesting, looks even better at night with LED lights.
Do you really think they got the concept from watching your videos ?

https://youtu.be/QFQIEwVlJL8
Hi XFM, Yes I do believe they copied my concept. I first started building this in 2011 a few months after I built my first successful quadcopter (2010). It sat around a in my garage for a while until I put an i86 controller, 4 - FC28-05 2840kv motors, 4 plush 10A ESCs, and a carbon fiber frame in it. Then test flew it in Jan 13. This video is not the maiden flight, but was on that same day.
RC UFO Flying Saucer w Carbon Fiber Xcopter (6 min 1 sec)
Jul 23, 2015, 05:05 PM
Ron_RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyronaught
It's 48" diameter currently. I think I may need to up it to 60" diameter to get a little more lift from helium to offset the heavier weight of the tilt rotors I've switched over too and also the weight of a fabric outer cover I'm going to try. Problem with this silver balloon foil is it pops very easily. I guess that wouldn't be an issue if I didn't keep testing it in a confined area and crashing it into things. Now that I've converted it to use tilt rotors in the mode seen below, I have better control over it so maybe I won't crash it as much. Overall it is pretty crash tolerant, and even when you do get a hole it is easily fixed with a piece of clear packing tape. Only the long tears from ramming into a tree or bush require an envelope replacement.
Please post some flight video. I would love to see it in the air.
Jul 23, 2015, 09:09 PM
nixed
Last edited by pyronaught; Aug 18, 2015 at 05:13 PM.
Aug 05, 2015, 01:15 AM
Ron_RC
Thread OP
Fantastic! Thanks for posting video.
Feb 02, 2016, 12:36 PM
Ron_RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFM
Interesting, looks even better at night with LED lights.
Do you really think they got the concept from watching your videos ?

https://youtu.be/QFQIEwVlJL8
XFM, I failed to mention I had been in contact with Cheerson to get a cost on a bulk supply of CX-10 micro quads to give out to customers with my company logo on them. The company dissolved due to partner issues and I'm now in the process of starting one on my own. Just got a 3D printer and plan to get a CNC mill (not a router) and a laser cutter.
Dec 30, 2018, 02:07 AM
Ron_RC
Thread OP
I've built another on at the request of the promoter of the Yelm UFO festival in Yelm, WA. I flew it this past year at the festival. It has a 1200lm tractor beam, space alien, nav lights, landing gear, and RGB LEDs.
RC UFO Flying Saucer Sighting with Tractor Beam (3 min 27 sec)
May 07, 2019, 03:18 AM
Ron_RC
Thread OP
Another flight of the 32" UFO using my spy glasses that work well in low light.
UFO Flying Saucer sighting 20 Apr 2019 (5 min 12 sec)

Quick Reply