NEAT Fair Campers Checklist - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 19, 2014, 10:25 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Discussion

NEAT Fair Campers Checklist

I post this checklist every year. There are more than a few first time overnighters/campers asking questions about how to prepare and what to bring so I thought that I'd post it again.

Here's a reasonable checklist:

[ ] Waterproof shoes or boots.
[ ] Socks-- Twice as many as you think you'll need.
[ ] Very warm coat for the nights. We've had temps in the 20's.
[ ] Long Johns or sweats so you can layer clothes. Cold nights.
[ ] Sweater or jacket. The mornings and evenings can be pretty chilly.
[ ] Rain gear like a raincoat or poncho and maybe rainpants too.
[ ] Gloves.
[ ] Warm hat.
[ ] Brimmed hat or ball cap.
[] Sunscreen.
[ ] Shorts and t-shirt weight shirts. Can get pretty hot during the day.
[ ] Flashlights for getting around at night. There's very little ambient light so it is DARK.
[ ] If you're tent camping a ground tarpaulin and rain fly are nice to have. It gets really, really damp at night. An air mattress or cot will get you off the ground.
[ ] Sleeping bag of no more than a 30 rating. A 0 or better will serve you well if the temp goes low. We've had some warmish nights there and we've had some really really cold nights there over the years. Warm is easy. Cold is not if you aren't prepared.
[ ] Easy-Up type canopy will keep either the sun or rain off of you and your models. Not essential but nice to have.
[ ] Folding chairs. You'll eventually get tired of standing.
[ ] Sandals or water shoes or Crocs. If you plan on showering (bring lots of quarters if you want hot water) in Arnie's state of the art blockhouse DO NOT GO BAREFOOT. Nuff said. Instead of a shower you can use baby wipes. You can get them in big tubs. They are a effective means of bathing. We use them in the hospital. They work.
[ ] Food and drink.

NEW INFO: Leave your shyness at home and make sure to join in the fun. By fun I mean the festivities in the BCSF and JCSF tents. BCSF is the Bergen County Silent Flyers and JCSF is the Jersey Coast Sport Flyers and both have "party tents". During the day the BCSF Tent has vendor/manufacturer demos and seminars on construction techniques, materials, technology, new products, etc with some pretty cool vendor giveaways. BCSF also hosts the Dawn Patrol each morning in the Park Flyer area. JCSF is famous, or should I say infamous, for their nightly fun, notably the Night Vapor races and obstacle course. Adam beat me and Gerry last year. Not this time!! Don't stand outside and watch and wish you were there. Come on in and join the fun.

See you all there,
Mike
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2014, 10:49 AM
Bug Spray !!
Aug 25, 2014, 11:03 AM
I've never been bothered by pests up there. You have?
Aug 25, 2014, 12:30 PM
I haven't - let's hope that does not change this year!

Rob
Aug 25, 2014, 02:00 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS

Jason?
Aug 25, 2014, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
Ohh talk about a straight line!
Aug 25, 2014, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.E
Jason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss
Ohh talk about a straight line!
Tee hee
Aug 29, 2014, 10:48 AM
While I haven't been bitten much, I hate flying with the little gnats buzzing around my eyes. I usually give my hat a light spray with an extra dallop on the underside of the brim
Aug 29, 2014, 03:28 PM
After not bathing for 5 or 6 days I find that the annoying pests don't bother me much...
Sep 03, 2014, 10:18 AM
Anyone know if there are campsite reservations? The mailbox for questions is full and bounces back.
Sep 03, 2014, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve
Anyone know if there are campsite reservations? The mailbox for questions is full and bounces back.
I can't speak for Arnie directly but based upon what I've seen in prior years if you are tent camping you should be fine. There's typically room in the camping rows to the right of the flightline (and you may be able to even camp on the flightline if you have a spot there).

If you have a big rig/RV then that's a different issue as I seem to recall Arnie has a limited number of slots and those go fairly quickly.

You can try calling the office at Peaceful Valley - you may get someone working there. I don't believe I've ever had luck with the email requests but someone will pick up the phone if they are there

Rob
Sep 03, 2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks Rob. Just a tent - so I should be fine.

Appreciate the help.
Sep 03, 2014, 04:54 PM
To Infinity and Beyond
[QUOTE=motopreserve;29345048]Thanks Rob. Just a tent - so I should be fine.

There are 2 islands one at each end of the campground there should be plenty of room for tents.
Sep 08, 2014, 03:33 PM
NEAT NERD & Aviation Addict
...and in the event of a hurricane, bring emergency floatation and an RC boat. :-)
Last edited by PropellerHeadK; Sep 08, 2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Humor
Sep 08, 2014, 04:04 PM
Fingers crossed but so far the only rain of consequence in the forecast is on Thursday...