Thread Tools
Sep 10, 2019, 02:57 PM
new Biplaner to be 04 2013
cpt.chaos canada's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea
Thanks for the kind words CCC - it's mostly just stubborness and curiosity!

If I hadn't bought a 2nd (intended as a gift for someone in the future) I never would have realized that there were such differences but now that I know, it just bugs me.

If you are so inclined, I would be curious to know, in calm conditions, what is the lowest throttle that yours can fly level and maneuver well with only aileron and elevator control (i.e. good aileron authority, no rudder necessary)? Like I mentioned, on my Dx18 it is currently 1 mark below half throttle on my "bad" one. I now need to go back out and again and try my "good" one for comparison but no calm is forecast for a few days.
Looks like all the calm days for 2019 have been used up. :

I'll try when I get a chance to observe slow flight limits.

Here are my three words of advise for the meantime:
RUDDER, RUDDER and RUDDER.

I'm discovering warbirds slowly since last year.
What I don't get at times is why people don't use their rudder?
It's there for a reason. IMHO.
Warbirds don't have much, if any, prop wash going over the ailerons due to smaller prop diameter for more speed, right?
So, your main control surfaces for slow speeds are the tail feathers.
A small throttle burst on approach helps their efficiency when correction is needed.

I try to fly my planes with that in mind, still learning a bit with every flight (hopefully)

Fly em as they need to be flown!

CCC
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2019, 03:18 PM
Always trying to learn
mejmea's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt.chaos canada
Looks like all the calm days for 2019 have been used up. :

I'll try when I get a chance to observe slow flight limits.

Here are my three words of advise for the meantime:
RUDDER, RUDDER and RUDDER.

I'm discovering warbirds slowly since last year.
What I don't get at times is why people don't use their rudder?
It's there for a reason. IMHO.
Warbirds don't have much, if any, prop wash going over the ailerons due to smaller prop diameter for more speed, right?
So, your main control surfaces for slow speeds are the tail feathers.
A small throttle burst on approach helps their efficiency when correction is needed.

I try to fly my planes with that in mind, still learning a bit with every flight (hopefully)

Fly em as they need to be flown!

CCC
Good advice. I've discovered that with this plane (well, at least with one out of 2 iterations of it) and regularly use rudder on my aircraft as a result of heli flying. I have to admit that it is not yet instinctive however, to level the wings with the rudder in this case. I need to progress from "serial" processing in that regard to "parallel" processing!

I did a better analysis and the good one looks to have about 1 degree more down thrust than the bad one so there's at least one more experiment to be run, weather permitting.
Sep 10, 2019, 04:12 PM
Registered User
Joe 1320's Avatar
Practice flat turns with this model. It will give you a much better feel for using the rudder at slower speeds.
Sep 17, 2019, 01:48 PM
Registered User
skytek's Avatar
Thread OP
Well, it's just a little over 5 years since this thread, and the dream began. I am still the proud owner of one of the very first UMX wildcats to enter Canada and it's still in flawless condition.

I hang it on the wall of my studio and fly it only on the most special of occasions when the air is still and the sun is coming up. On those mornings I put at least 6 batteries through it and I shake with exhilaration until my final landing. I have been deliberate in not tiring myself of this plane because I don't want the magic feeling when I fly it to leave.

Horizon never acknowledged that I wrote to them with this idea, sent them mockups and started this thread to generate interest, but my gratitude to them for making this little beauty a real thing is vast none the less. It is still my favourite plane of all time because of its size, its style, its simplicity, how robust it is and how well it flies. And obviously because of this thread and how we kept the dream alive for those first years before Horizon made it happen.

Again, thanks to everyone who helped make this happen. What a beautiful little plane!
Sep 17, 2019, 02:38 PM
Always trying to learn
mejmea's Avatar
Well done! We all need to harangue Horizon for new UMX Warbirds. From what I understand they may not intend to produce any more because they do not sell as well as the civilian models.....
Sep 17, 2019, 05:09 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytek
Well, it's just a little over 5 years since this thread, and the dream began. I am still the proud owner of one of the very first UMX wildcats to enter Canada and it's still in flawless condition.

I hang it on the wall of my studio and fly it only on the most special of occasions when the air is still and the sun is coming up. On those mornings I put at least 6 batteries through it and I shake with exhilaration until my final landing. I have been deliberate in not tiring myself of this plane because I don't want the magic feeling when I fly it to leave.

Horizon never acknowledged that I wrote to them with this idea, sent them mockups and started this thread to generate interest, but my gratitude to them for making this little beauty a real thing is vast none the less. It is still my favourite plane of all time because of its size, its style, its simplicity, how robust it is and how well it flies. And obviously because of this thread and how we kept the dream alive for those first years before Horizon made it happen.

Again, thanks to everyone who helped make this happen. What a beautiful little plane!
I have one of the last ones coming my way! Torn as to whether ever fly it or use it as a display. I might at some time pick up a Parkzone version since they seem plentiful but I am trying to stick with these little birds for most of my flying.
Sep 18, 2019, 07:46 AM
Registered User
skytek's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnriverluver
I have one of the last ones coming my way! Torn as to whether ever fly it or use it as a display. I might at some time pick up a Parkzone version since they seem plentiful but I am trying to stick with these little birds for most of my flying.
Is the UMX Wildcat being discontinued?
Sep 18, 2019, 07:56 AM
Always trying to learn
mejmea's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytek
Is the UMX Wildcat being discontinued?
It, and pretty much all of the other WWII umx warbirds from Horizon, have been discontinued for a while now unfortunately.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:27 PM
Fox 1
RocketRobin's Avatar
I got my new Wildcat and set-up a jeep carrier on a tarp. I even added flaps for better landing performance.

I tested the carrier with my UMX S1 S. Steaming into the wind the carrier performed with great alacrity and the Pitts landed easily.

The UMX Wildcat is fully capable of performing single point landings on an UMX jeep carrier painted tarpaulin. This type of landing isn't often desirable, but the plane is fully capable!
Sep 18, 2019, 09:38 PM
Slow is the go!
Peter Phillipps's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRobin
I got my new Wildcat and set-up a jeep carrier on a tarp. I even added flaps for better landing performance.

I tested the carrier with my UMX S1 S. Steaming into the wind the carrier performed with great alacrity and the Pitts landed easily.

The UMX Wildcat is fully capable of performing single point landings on an UMX jeep carrier painted tarpaulin. This type of landing isn't often desirable, but the plane is fully capable!
What about an arrester hook and a long length of rubber band as the catching cable!
Sep 19, 2019, 10:45 AM
new Biplaner to be 04 2013
cpt.chaos canada's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRobin
I got my new Wildcat and set-up a jeep carrier on a tarp. I even added flaps for better landing performance.

I tested the carrier with my UMX S1 S. Steaming into the wind the carrier performed with great alacrity and the Pitts landed easily.

The UMX Wildcat is fully capable of performing single point landings on an UMX jeep carrier painted tarpaulin. This type of landing isn't often desirable, but the plane is fully capable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phillipps
What about an arrester hook and a long length of rubber band as the catching cable!
That all sounds to cool
Please share your flap mod and please post some pics from your carrier.
CCC.
Sep 25, 2019, 10:24 AM
Registered User
Finally arrived!!! Left aileron servo didn't want to work at first but now seems to be good. Not sure if I'll ever fly this one anyway.
Sep 26, 2019, 05:20 PM
Registered User
I don't see how they can say umx warbirds don't sell! Look at the threads on here ,and the people waiting for more! Civilian aircraft are just boring.
Oct 09, 2019, 04:59 PM
Registered User
I have only flown my F4F once. I've had it for at least 8 maybe nine years. About 3 years ago I took it up to the park and gave it a try. It flies super good. There's a marsh hawk that lives at the park and she was after the F4F ASAP. It was spring so I guess she had babies? Anyway The F4F was faster than the hawk but a little scary when I tried to put it down. I almost put it through the fence trying to stay away from the hawk.

My wife had a stroke in August of that year and my flying has really been limited. Just micros at home and early in the morning before she wakes up.

Jack

F4F is sweet. I also have a little smaller one that's still a virgin!
Oct 09, 2019, 05:38 PM
Registered User
DaveG's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Finally arrived!!! Left aileron servo didn't want to work at first but now seems to be good. Not sure if I'll ever fly this one anyway.
It's not unusual for linear servos to stick after they've been setting around for a lengthy period, especially if in less than ideal conditions. This is a lifesaver for bringing them back.

Name: 264177.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 27.9 KB
Description:


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
News E-flite UMX F4F Wildcat BNF Basic Matt Gunn Parkflyers 56 Jun 09, 2019 06:56 PM
Sold E-flite UMX Pitts S-1S BNF Basic with AS3X 430mm (17") Wingspan - BNF Mikey 68 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Jun 26, 2014 03:05 PM