May 27, 2016, 03:26 PM
They call me Lipo...

Inverted Gull Wings...

Skytek,

Well, I know this will sound a bit odd, but the use of the inverted gull-wing was simply an easy way to give extra clearance for the massive 13 foot Hamilton Standard Hydromatic three-blade propeller that Vought used to harness the tremendous energy produced by the extremely powerful 18-cylinder Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp radial.

The design team headed by Rex Beisel had to figure out a way to give the massive prop clearance without lengthening the landing gear....Hmmm....hence the inverted gull-wing design!

I know it sounds strange, but now you know "the rest of the story".....
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2016, 03:26 PM
DFS#000178
When I first saw this thread I thought it was a product announcement for a UMX Wildcat.

The disappointment.

I still want the LX Wildcat..
May 27, 2016, 03:29 PM
They call me Lipo...
Don't worry brother....if we keep squeaking, maybe Horizon will provide us with the UMX Wildcat.....

The perfect solution for a new 2S UMX Parkflyer....!!

Absolutely no interest in the LX F4F......the panel lines alone are a turn-off.....
May 27, 2016, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit
Skytek,

Well, I know this will sound a bit odd, but the use of the inverted gull-wing was simply an easy way to give extra clearance for the massive 13 foot Hamilton Standard Hydromatic three-blade propeller that Vought used to harness the tremendous energy produced by the extremely powerful 18-cylinder Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp radial.

The design team headed by Rex Beisel had to figure out a way to give the massive prop clearance without lengthening the landing gear....Hmmm....hence the inverted gull-wing design!

I know it sounds strange, but now you know "the rest of the story".....

There is more to it than that, it was also done to make the landing gear stronger for carrier use and also during wind tunnel test they found they didn't need fairings at the root of the wing.
May 27, 2016, 05:10 PM
Proving that pork can fly
I wasn't thrilled about the inaccuracies of the LX model. But the wildcat is my favorite aircraft of all time. And there aren't exactly a lot of options out there. When I was in my teens, I bought plans out of MAN thinking that someday I would build it. That never happened, so I figured 30 years was long enough to wait for a model that was close enough and had retracts to boot.
May 27, 2016, 05:16 PM
They call me Lipo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricboy
There is more to it than that, it was also done to make the landing gear stronger for carrier use and also during wind tunnel test they found they didn't need fairings at the root of the wing.
Those were the results of the primary reason, which was to give adequate clearance for the prop without having overly long landing gear legs....
May 28, 2016, 08:30 AM
As long as we're sharing stories...my first plane plastic model kit was a Wildcat.

Back in the 70s, some grocery stores gave stamps for amount spent and you can trade in for stuff. Mom traded in for her things and had leftover so my brother and I got a 3 model kit package. I lost the coin toss so got 1 and chose Wildcat. He got Buffalo and a Japanese float plane.

Don't have that Wildcat anymore. As an adult with airbrush skills, I built a nice 1/48 scale in my display case. For RC, I got a Funfighter Wildcat so I'm some what satisfied. It's by far the best flier of my 30+ hangar.

I'll still take a UMX any day!!!
May 28, 2016, 09:04 AM
They call me Lipo...
Sounds like you got your Wildcat courtesy of Blue Chip Stamps; I remember 'em well, you used to stick them in a book/catalogue and when it was full you could turn it in for stuff.....

Simpler times.....
May 28, 2016, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by north_of_49
what?

(don't say "that's what")
i'd still buy that sweet little cat!
May 28, 2016, 11:54 AM
Thread OP
Same here! I would even support a Kickstarter or Gofundme if there was such a project on the table.
May 28, 2016, 12:18 PM
Proving that pork can fly
Neat idea. A lot of us have a totalled umx plane laying around, so even an airframe that could use the donated parts would work. Unpainted would be super cool!
May 28, 2016, 12:57 PM
I just put mine on pre-order.
May 28, 2016, 02:40 PM
Born to lose-live to win!!
May 28, 2016, 09:23 PM
Thread OP
So let's think about this. If they design a UMX Wildcat how would the landing gear best be designed? We could have fake wheels shaped into the fuselage like the larger version and keep it purely as a belly lander. Any attempt at actual clip-in landing gear would probably ruin the look. Retracts while a dream scenario, would not be practical at this scale. Your thoughts, gentlemen?
May 28, 2016, 09:25 PM
They call me Lipo...
Belly lander......

Quick Reply