May 15, 2016, 11:11 PM
They call me Lipo...

Count me in!!!!!

YES!! I'D BUY THAT SWEET LIL' WILDCAT!!
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2016, 05:18 AM
OK I'm in too. Indoor carrier landings seem challenging enough!
May 19, 2016, 08:56 AM

I scratchbuilt a Hellcat a few years back. I've been planning a Wildcat, too, but I'd gladly buy one RTF. I know many of you prefer a fast warbird, but I'd rather have a 1S that can fly easily in tight spaces.

Rick
May 19, 2016, 03:17 PM
Proving that pork can fly

That's right, 3 times.
May 19, 2016, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying pig
yes!! I'd buy that sweet lil' wildcat!!

Yes!! I'd buy that sweet lil' wildcat!!

Yes!! I'd buy that sweet lil' wildcat!!

That's right, 3 times.
+ 1000!!!
May 19, 2016, 09:22 PM
Proving that pork can fly
Seriously, I would probably buy 3 or 4. The wildcat has been my favorite plane since childhood. Got a framed FM-2 picture for my 11th birthday which I still have. I love that pudgy little bird.

Which reminds me, I need to go buy another lx wildcat :^)
May 27, 2016, 11:24 AM
Hey guys, guess what?
May 27, 2016, 01:36 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
what?

(don't say "that's what")
May 27, 2016, 02:33 PM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
^^ Gonna go out on a limb and guess that there is still no micro F4F on the market. Although, I'd prefer a F6F.
May 27, 2016, 02:48 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Personally, I never liked the aesthetics of the F6F compared to the F4F. It that's what the Parkzone product had have been I never would have bought it. To some, the differences may not be drastic but they're enough to me that, although I'm not even really into WW era warbirds, I had to have the Wildcat, I just love its geometry/outline
May 27, 2016, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl
^^ Gonna go out on a limb and guess that there is still no micro F4F on the market. Although, I'd prefer a F6F.
Not yet but a bunch of us are keeping the dim flame of hope alive.
May 27, 2016, 02:54 PM
Thread OP
I like the F6F but I like the F4Fmuch more. I actually fell in love with the F4F RC version before I ever saw the full scale plane. Now when I look at pictures of the full scale I can't convince my brain it's not just a giant Parkzone F4F or a very detailed RC one with a human pilot photoshopped into it.
May 27, 2016, 03:07 PM
They call me Lipo...
+1 to Glenn and Skytek !

I actually fell in love with the Wildcat at a very early age....I was about 5 years old (1970) when I built (if you can call it that !) my first F4F Wildcat. It was a very crude Hawk models 1/72 scale kit. I'm sure it looked like crap, but my father said it looked fantastic

Here's a picture I found online of the box art of the kit....I remember it well....

I also became a fan of the maligned Brewster F2A Buffalo and the equally maligned Douglas TBD-1 Devastator at about the same time....

I later went on to build a better quality Revell F4F (also in 1/72 scale) in about 1976 or so. Believe it or not, that model actually still exists and is currently hanging in my old bedroom at my father's house in San Diego...

That said, I like the Wildcat because of what it represents: U.S. Naval and Marine aviators hurling themselves at the might of Imperial Japan in "obsolete" aircraft, totally outclassed by the vaunted A6M Zero, and yet still, somehow, someway, holding the line! A story so heroic in retrospect, that Hollywood couldn't have written a script that gives it justice.....

To me, the F6F was such an improvement, that it totally changed the war in the Pacific....the dark days were over when it and the F4U Corsair started their rampage across the Pacific. And yet, the Wildcat fought on....and managed to serve all the way to end of the war.....a remarkable feat, by any stretch.

Sorry to ramble....but I really love the chubby little fighter....
May 27, 2016, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit
+1 to Glenn and Skytek !

I actually fell in love with the Wildcat at a very early age....I was about 5 years old (1970) when I built (if you can call it that !) my first F4F Wildcat. It was a very crude Hawk models 1/72 scale kit. I'm sure it looked like crap, but my father said it looked fantastic

Here's a picture I found online of the box art of the kit....I remember it well....

I also became a fan of the maligned Brewster F2A Buffalo and the equally maligned Douglas TBD-1 Devastator at about the same time....

I later went on to build a better quality Revell F4F (also in 1/72 scale) in about 1976 or so. Believe it or not, that model actually still exists and is currently hanging in my old bedroom at my father's house in San Diego...

That said, I like the Wildcat because of what it represents: U.S. Naval and Marine aviators hurling themselves at the might of Imperial Japan in "obsolete" aircraft, totally outclassed by the vaunted A6M Zero, and yet still, somehow, someway, holding the line! A story so heroic in retrospect, that Hollywood couldn't have written a script that gives it justice.....

To me, the F6F was such an improvement, that it totally changed the war in the Pacific....the dark days were over when it and the F4U Corsair started their rampage across the Pacific. And yet, the Wildcat fought on....and managed to serve all the way to end of the war.....a remarkable feat, by any stretch.

Sorry to ramble....but I really love the chubby little fighter....
Great story! You've loved it since the age of 5. I think you may win the 'Longest Wildcat fan in the thread' award. You mentioned chubby; it's the chubbiness that I love about it. It looks solid, like it could handle a beating. And in my experience with the RC version it was tough.

Now the Corsair is a plane I have never liked the appearance of at all. The wing shape just looks so ugly to me. I have always wondered just what advantages wings like that offer over the more typical straight design.
May 27, 2016, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
Greg Shelton FM-2 (F4F) Wildcat Aerobatics - EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2015 (5 min 6 sec)

Quick Reply