Sep 06, 2001, 04:06 PM
Thread OP

Wingo On Floats... Anyone Flown One?

I have a Sunny Boy on floats... very marginal take-offs. Want something with some authority (power) for getting up and out of the wet stuff. Must say I am in Boise, Idaho at about 2800 feet elevation, so it has an adverse affect on take-off.

Deciding on one of two planes... A Virus with a 400 motor for power, or a Wingo.

Does the Wingo need the gear drive? Hobby-Lobby says no, but it would have more power. The gear drive is as much as the whole plane, so I don't want to buy one if it isn't necessary.

Don't have a lot of time so kits are out of the question. I want to be flying not sitting at a workbench on the weekend.

Appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2001, 04:40 PM
Yoe
Yoe
Maybe this page is something for you:
http://eflight.hedlunds.net/current-objects-e.htm

This guy has got a Wingo on floats. He also has some interesting opinions about using the gear drive.

/Y
Sep 06, 2001, 09:54 PM
I have one. It flies nice.
Never tried it direct drive. Don't buy the Kaven/HL gear setup. Just add a Graupner gear drive to the stock set-up. 2.33:1 , I think. About $19. Get the Graupner Slim Prop 9*5 from HL too. It goes goes forever on a Radio Shack 1600 NiMH pack. You don't even need to reconfigure the pack, it just sits on the bottom of the fuse opening. Replacing the stock Radio Shack connector is a must.
Sep 07, 2001, 02:24 PM
Registered Snoozer
What Kevin said. The mystery of the "recommended" Wingo gearbox is how the heck the thing can be so expensive. I have the Graupner 2.33:1 box on my Wingo with an APC 9X6 slowflyer prop (which I find to be slightly better than the 9X5 slimprop), and as Kevin says, it flies great. Hobby Lobby had the Graupner drives on special a while ago for $19 (including motor!), but regularly they run around $25 without the motor and $35 with the motor. If you go this way, let me know and I can tell you how I made a motor mount to attach the gear drive to my Wingo. (You can use rubber bands in the stock mount, but the torque from the bigger prop tends to twist the motor.)

Another option is to buy the Soarstar motor/gearbox combo, which I think runs around $18. It's an excellent gear box with metal gears. I think it's about 1.85:1 and uses an 8X5 prop. I think you can get it at Hobby People.

Whichever gear box you get, it will make a big difference in flying off water with the floats. It's possible to get off water with the direct drive, but just barely. With the gear drive, it's no problem.

Neil

Quick Reply