Sep 07, 2014, 09:45 PM
Even avid builders collect a few more kits than they can build in a year.

'Round tuit' often means they're building something else?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2014, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1589
There seem to be a lot of people waiting to get a round tuit.
I figured I'd try to point out the pitfalls and problems, and maybe inspire a few.

Personally, I'm excited because when I built the first one in 88, the only 4 stroke that would work in it was the OS 120 and it really flew on the wing at 15 to 17 lbs. (it later went over 18 when I put in a ST 2000)
But now I have decided to go with an ASP 180 four stroke and expect it to have enough power to fly at 1/2 throttle to be scale.

Later, I'll see if I can find an old 120 video and upload it for inspiration.

Nick
Nick I'm very inspired to build mine however I currently have a Balsa USA Phaeton 90 on the bench and after that I promised myself i'd build my TF GS P47 before anything else.

For now I have to live vicariously through you
Sep 08, 2014, 10:34 AM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Thread OP
Know what you mean.
I have 3 more waiting behind this one, and here's a sign of *real * model addiction...
I've got half of the accessories (engines, servos, etc) for them gathered in the closet.

In the meantime, I'm spoke shaving the heck out of the miscellaneous square shapes on the tail feathers....

Sep 08, 2014, 10:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall
Even avid builders collect a few more kits than they can build in a year.

'Round tuit' often means they're building something else?
Or re-building something else.

Sep 09, 2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks
Will check where to get it printed

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1589
Take a look here first.
The span is the same and it looks right at first glance.
If it'll work, the best part is it's free.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4964

Nick
Sep 09, 2014, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
Sure thing, Just triple check to make sure it's the right set.

I'd offer mine when I'm done, but they're falling apart in my hands.
(and I have to oil them to build the right wing panels)

Nick
Sep 09, 2014, 05:04 PM
Thread OP
Oh!
I forgot to mention that I have the tail feathers pretty close to the final shape and the hinges are pinned with toothpicks.
I'm sure I'll be touching up spots I'd missed but for the most part they're ready for covering.

Covering is tricky because it must have a small cut to go over the horns, but no structure around the horn to iron it to.

My original Stampe's covering was ugly at the horn and I Ironed some covering to an index card and made an "inspection plate" to glue around it.

Nick
Sep 09, 2014, 05:25 PM
They came out real nice. Good work
Sep 09, 2014, 08:25 PM
I always put a tiny bit of sheeting around areas like that. Covering has to have something to stick to.
Sep 10, 2014, 06:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall
I always put a tiny bit of sheeting around areas like that. Covering has to have something to stick to.
Sounds like a plan!
I remember thinking the same thing when I built the first one, but didn't do it...
Maybe I'll find out when I try some sheet on this one.

Meanwhile, I'm cutting out ribs with the xacto. the dies only went half way thru the sheets. Talk about builder's kit! If these pics don't make you want the $400 kit from the UK with laser cut parts, you're a *hard core* builder for sure!

Nick
Sep 13, 2014, 10:10 AM
Thread OP
got to wonder what they were thinking and if they were thinking.
Maybe the pic was an accident and they stamped the note to save reprinting.

Anyway, the upside down pic is what we're aiming for.

I got the ribs cut out, went to put in the spar so I could sand the leading edge of the ribs even an found a total mess.

Even my favorite spar notch tool couldn't make it look better, so like most of the old time kits, get it close as you can and hope for the best.

Nick
Sep 13, 2014, 09:57 PM
Nothing that a bit of titebond or thick CA won't fix hahaha.
Sep 13, 2014, 10:10 PM
Thread OP
I'm sure all of the old timers can look back with a smile while remembering some of those horrific build jobs we got by with. I have progressed a little since then tho.
I've found myself actually cutting a fill piece of balsa for any gaps bigger than 1/8"

Seriously though, I intend to glue most of the wing joints with 15 min epoxy using tight bond only for spar webbing, sheeting and tip blocks. That method resulted in a very strong wing on the first Stampe, which flew with all of the flying wires and top wing removed, yet was light enough to fly with a 120 FS.

One nice thing about this build, since I'm not flying with an AM radio, I can put the servos out at the ailerons instead of using bellcranks and pushrods.

Nick
Sep 13, 2014, 10:25 PM
Why so hardcore with the epoxy? Seems like you could add a lot of weight like that?
Sep 14, 2014, 08:41 AM
Thread OP
the secret is in the squeegee.
Most folks (that I know, anyway) apply epoxy like maple syrup.
I just give the rib notches a good coat, then put in the spars and spread what squishes out across the rib, max strength, minimum weight.
Remember that Most of the kits I build are decades old and need the geriatric glue.
I also coat the edges of the plywood with epoxy to keep it from delaminating.

Kind of misleading the way I said it, cause the spar notches and servo platform are the only glue joints in the wing panel except for what I listed for the tight bond.
And of course we always use epoxy for the ply parts where the panels join the center section.

For those curious, the only epoxy on the tail feathers is on the control horn platforms.
Cheers!

PS. Just realized, the only place I use epoxy is where hardwood meets balsa.
The Stampe has spruce spars... now that's heavy. (but works well!)
Last edited by taildragger1589; Sep 14, 2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Just realized....

Quick Reply