Sep 16, 2014, 07:51 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Thread OP
Line up the first parts on the lower left wing panel.
Gloo in the three alignment ribs to hold things in place, then after glooing the servo tray supports to the right two ribs, gloo it all together and add the top spars and simmer til done.

next up... the tip. (groan)

Nick
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2014, 10:03 AM
Thread OP
Installing 3 new ceiling fans slowed me down a bit.
Plus some head scratching on how to get an accurate spar angle on the wing tips.
Solution:
Make a balsa template and sand the spar angles and adjust the rib notches until it matches.

Also added the spar doublers for interplane struts and the servo tray fitted but not glued yet.

Sep 26, 2014, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
Thanks to my trusty metal square, it was a snap to mark and cut the aileron spar slot in the ribs then fit and glue the spars and aileron end ribs.

final shot is what happens when you cut the slots in one too many ribs and have to put the piece back with a small 1/16" sheet brace.

Next:
Hinging then starting on the center section and procrastinating on the tip blocks.
Sep 29, 2014, 04:03 PM
Thread OP
I was somewhat confused when starting the center section of the lower wing.
The LC-5 plate couldn't be glued in place because it hit the bottom spar of the wing panel.
Didn't want to shorten the spar so I notched LC-5 to clear the spar.

Also the LC-6 ribs weren't on the die cut sheets. (or on the sheet guide of the instructions)
But no biggie, they are basically the same as LC-15 with a smaller notch and since there's lots of leftover ply....

Since the plans only give you a left wing panel and no right, I started to go with the oiled plans method of building from the backside.
Then I found out that Staples only charged $5 to make a mirror image of both wings. So I splurged.

Thank goodness we've still got a lot of winter left to go, there's gonna be a lot of hacking and fitting to go yet.
Oct 04, 2014, 10:12 AM
Thread OP
Sorry for the slow pace, flying weather's been too good for heavy building sessions. and good flying sessions means heavy repair sessions.

So....

I did get the tip blocks glued on while repairing the nose weight on the smith, the rudder on the fleet and the nose gear attach wire on the skylane.

Nick
Oct 07, 2014, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
Added all of the ribs to the lower right wing panel and used the template I made from the plans to align the ply tip for beveling and gluing the spars.

Oct 17, 2014, 08:17 PM
Thread OP
Finished both sides of the lower wing and tossed them under the bench.
Glued the pieces of the front half of the center section to the main plate.
Main plate was curled so I had to weigh it down to glue the ribs of the middle section... came out nice and flat.

Glued the ply spar ends to the 4 wing spars.

Test fitted to make sure it's right before glueing on the back section...

Warbird day tomorrow, so more delays again.
Oct 18, 2014, 04:59 AM
Hi Nick, Having built & flown one of these in the past, you'd have a better idea of this than I, but I was less than confident of the strength of both upper & lower centre sections. It seemed to me to be asking a lot of what looks like the weakest part of the wing structure. I spliced hardwood spars into top & bottom of the centre sections of both wings as pics show. Dick
Oct 18, 2014, 08:50 AM
Thread OP
Now that's a nice clean center section!
A lot of the strength of my models comes from the functional flying wires.
I use 100 lb. wire with thick steel clevises for attaching and have never had a structural failure.

But to give an idea of how strong the wing is without the wires, I used to fly without them for the fly ins (also without the top wing).
Granted I never did more than a few loops and rolls but it did pretty good.

Nick
Oct 18, 2014, 08:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by evvo
I spliced hardwood spars into top & bottom of the centre sections of both wings as pics show. Dick
Bye the bye, do you know how much dihedral you put under each wing tip?

There's no mention of it anywhere on the plans or in the book.
I think I put 2" in my first one, but just don't recall....
Oct 19, 2014, 02:48 AM
No indication on dihedral at all, and an almost total lack of information on line. In fact I was quite surprised that even halfway decent 3views seem unobtainable. I took a punt on 2 degrees each panel on top with 3 degrees on the bottom wing, judged from photos and the one poor drawing I have. It looks reasonably correct. That will come out at 1" on top wing and 1.5 on bottom each side measured at the last full rib, with the centre section flat on the bench. Dick
Oct 19, 2014, 10:24 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for measuring.
The Heller plasic kit seems to support 3 degrees, as does the included pic.
I was guessing 2 inches under the tip, which should work out the same as 1.5" under the last full rib.

The guys at Flyingmodels forum are using 60mm (2.36") at the tip which I thought looked just a smidgen too much.

So, three degrees it will be.

Ciao
Oct 19, 2014, 07:38 PM
Thread OP
After much sanding and fitting, the panels finally aligned.
I quickly coated the joints with 30 minute epoxy and blocked the tips up with 1/4" washout while it still lined up.
I'll let it cure overnight then I can add the final reinforcements and sheeting.

Nick
Oct 23, 2014, 12:06 PM
Thread OP
Started adding CS spar beefing, when done, I'll sheet the bottom then comes more beefing and the top sheeting.

Made up a LE shape guide for the upcoming day of carving and sanding.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
bottom sheeting almost finished, bracing between spars added and blocks glued and shaped where the bolts go thru.

Quick Reply