Aug 18, 2014, 09:34 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Thread OP
Build Log

Precedent 1/4 Scale Stampe SV4B

After much cajoling from the home troops, and a lot of luck finding a kit, I'll be recreating an old favorite of our family that started in the early spring of '87 and was finished out in October of the same year.
If my luck holds out, Stampe #2 should be ready for the maiden in April of 2015.

Our first Stampe was modeled after the "Dorothy". A red and silver ship in an old seventies Tom Seleck Movie "The High Road to China".

There was something about those bipes that really grabbed me.

To start the thread are a few shots from the movie to explain all the weird add on stuff like the V-8 engine and the Lewis gun.

And a few shots of a pristine kit I came across in another forum.

Many thanks to Clint for selling this kit to me, he has his own web page for competition and scale rubber powered models.
http://www.cbmodeldesigns.com/

Next post will be Stampe #1 before we take her apart and maybe a shot or two of her adventures before we get down to cutting and gluing.

Nick
Last edited by taildragger1589; Jun 24, 2015 at 06:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2014, 01:19 AM
team sleprock
looks like fun, I might hafta keep an eye on ya!!
Aug 19, 2014, 06:42 AM
Hello,

I've got a kit stuck aside in my build queue. I can't wait to get to it but it's going to have to wait for now.

Anyway here's a good thread on these and there's also a couple of guys just doing builds now and posting in this thread.

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...s.asp?th=75514
Aug 19, 2014, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the link, one of those guys at the end of the thread may look familiar to you.
(I started to post to both forums but I got sick between that forum and this one, but I'll even them out eventually )
But this is my main thread, I'm posting in the other for the good suggestions they offer.

Many of the younger builders who are used to laser cut kits will find this kit somewhat daunting since it's an early seventies product.
I learned to build in the late sixties so the bad die cut parts (also called die smashed) and parts that don't quite fit right are perfectly normal to me.

The last of the memory pics....
My Friend Paul Baca built the other Stampe in the movie and we flew fly ins and had the occasional combat.
#1 Son Rocco was 12ish and a Stampe fan already.
Won $20 when our fly in stunt idea worked.

Last pics of us today. Next post.... we unroll the plans.

Nick
Aug 19, 2014, 04:58 PM
I had one of these many yrs ago. It was one of the best flying planes I ever owned. Aquired a kit a few yrs later with intentions of doing that very plane. Love that movie. Ended up selling it to a friend and he is in the process of building it now.
Aug 19, 2014, 08:35 PM
What's the plan for power?
Aug 19, 2014, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall
What's the plan for power?
We've narrowed it down to two engines:
The NGH38 petrol, which I'd like to try though it's really a bit too big, I love the sound.
And...
The ASP 180 FS. Which Rock likes best and is glow.

Both engines are four stroke and sound pretty good, but I think that the ASP will win. Not only is it lighter and simpler, but from what I understand it runs much smoother too.
Also I've converted the Smith Miniplane to the Magnum .91 FS glow and after an hour and a half running time, it puts on flight after flight with no surprises, just good solid power and a great idle. (Magnum and ASP come out of the same factory).

Nick
Aug 19, 2014, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubpilot51
I had one of these many yrs ago. It was one of the best flying planes I ever owned. Aquired a kit a few yrs later with intentions of doing that very plane. Love that movie. Ended up selling it to a friend and he is in the process of building it now.
Once you've had one, you're never *really* satisfied unless you have one in the hanger. I've flown a lot of bipes but never had one that was as much fun to fly!
I had hopes for the Jungmeister but never had the chance to get one.

I love that stunt sequence at the beginning, and the lazy eights at the end is nice too. If you ever get the chance to build one like the movie, you're going to see a lot of people rolling their eyes over the fake engine heads and Lewis gun.

Aug 19, 2014, 10:32 PM
Thread OP
There's a lot of building in this kit and if you want to make it easy on yourself, go to home depot and get their German made Proxxon scroll saw with the angle/slide and fence. Only strong enough for thick balsa and thinner ply, plastic and soft metals, It's made for modeling.
Very handy for the angle cuts in thick balsa that have to be perpendicular like the stab/elevator hinge line spars.

And we encounter the first kit error...
There's supposed to be two sheets of stab ribs to give 12 main ribs and 2 tip ribs, but only one sheet is supplied (it even calls for only one on the list) so you'll have to cut out 7 ribs from some 1/16 sheet. Not a big deal, but you could go crazy looking for the nonexistent sheet in a box of many many die cut sheets.
The pics tell the story...
Aug 20, 2014, 01:47 PM
Thread OP
For those of you with RealFlight 6 or higher, I just happen to have a link to an exact copy of my First stampe , complete with opening doors and firing Lewis gun.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=15984
There's also a one winged version for those so inclined...
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=16009
Aug 20, 2014, 04:46 PM
Looks like I need to upgrade my Real Flight
Aug 20, 2014, 08:03 PM
Highly recommend the RF7 upgrade. I skipped v6 as well, but RF7 added some fun new features.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
The model flies like my Stampe did after I changed out the OS 120 for a ST 2000.
If you want to see what it flew like with the 120, set your throttle stick at 2 clicks above 1/2.

Now for some pics of the genuine article....

Two straight sticks sawed to the proper angle, glued together and slotted on the ends for the plywood former.
Elevator end rib blocks angled to be glued to the *elevator* LE.
Aug 21, 2014, 08:56 PM
Thread OP
Beveled the Elevator LE, added hinges, attached the stab LE with four ribs.
Aug 22, 2014, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Got the rest of the ribs and the elevator end blocks tapered to shape, trailing edge lower sheeting installed.
Hinge bevel needs more work, not as much deflection as I like to have available.

Quick Reply