Aug 18, 2014, 05:35 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Freewing ME 262 vs Dynam ME 262

Ok, so I bit the bullet and bought both the Freewing and the Dynam ME 262's at the same time from MotionRc. I was really getting bored and I thought a thorough comparison would be fun for those of us that really give a cr#p. They both arrived in excellent condition and it took me about 5 hours to complete both jets including setting up programming and all the rest of the things you have to do before running these down the runway in front of a small crowd of onlookers that may or may not want to see some mayhem. First let me say that the quality difference between the two jets is HUGE. And rightly so since the Freewing cost me about 150 bucks more then the Dynam. The mold for the Freewing is incredibly detailed right down to the RIVETS. It also includes split flaps, cheater holes, cooling holes and beautiful retracts. The Freewing is powered by a 6s system while the Dynam is happy on 4s even though you may squeeze a 5 cell in there, but I did and I really don't think it is worth it, talk more about that later. The Dynam came equipped with Dean connectors which for some reason at the time I felt comfortable with. I did the standard watt test on both jets and they both are pulling in the 80 amp range when the stick is jammed. One note: I suggest only running EDF's on ground test for no more then 10 seconds, that's plenty of time to read your meter and the stress placed on the fans is extreme as they do not have the opportunity to "unload" like they do when the jet is in motion.......Ok, its off to the flying field.

I decided to put the Dynam up first since I had experience piloting my buddies Dynam ME and I really wanted to shake out the nerves before putting up the Freewing. I powered up the Dynam using a 4s 5000mah 30-60c Sky Lipo I just happen to have that I never used. I started the taxi, pushed the stick forward and she whined down the runway and popped up in a steep climb, I backed off the throttle, my partner applied the small bit of trim I needed and that Dynam flew perfect....I mean on rails. I did my normal three passes, then one low pass for the crowd and, as it was my first flight, I decided to cut it short and check everything out. I turned in the pattern on the downwind, flipped the retract switch and wouldn't you know it, one of the mains decided that after 25 cycles on the bench it was time to FAIL. I tried to re-cycle them and that's when I lost everything.....The ME went into a glide and I had no control. It bellied in the cow pasture and my gut wrenched. I made the walk of shame, when I arrived at the site I was surprised that she looked ok, one nacelle had come off, the tail was broken off but that was it. I gathered the plane with the help of my partner and we took it back to the pit area to see what we could see. I placed her in the work stand and looked at the battery connection..........the deans was fried! I mean melted. I was angry, but I still had another ME to maiden and I needed to keep my head on right. I took some quick pictures and took a sip of my coffee and looked at the Beautiful Freewing looking at me with a worried look. If I kill that plane today I don't know what kind of therapy could help me from a two failed maiden day. But, this hobby is not for the faint of heart and it was time to put up the Freewing. The power connectors in the Freewing are EC5's.....again for some reason I felt comfortable with that. I placed the beautiful jet in the stand and powered her up. Those retracts came down, and I was a wreck inside. I cant kill this plane. I placed her on the petromat, checked the control surfaces and taxied her out to my starting point. I looked around and the guys were looking at me wondering why, after losing one, I would choose to maiden another..........I pulled up the flaps and started her down the runway, she rolled straight as an arrow and lifted up with authority. This jet is fricken awesome! I turned downwind, flipped the retract switch and the three retracts complied and I was flying probably one of the finest foam jets made to date. I once again did about 4 circles, one low pass and started on the downwind, flipped the retract switch and watch with utter joy as all three retracts came down and locked. I turned on base keeping the power up and the turned final. She was ROCK SOLID. I brought her down on her mains like setting my first born in his crib and taxied her back to the pilot station. I pick her up, placed her on the stand and she gliched, powered down, then back up...What the HecK??. I opened the hatch, I grabbed the EC5 and slightly pulled, the wired came right out of the soldered joint. WOW, I was lucky. I took both home and soldered 6mm bullets on everything! I will continue with my comparison tomorrow.............with pics of both planes. (its a happy story for the Dynam)......
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2014, 10:43 AM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
Looking forward to more review and pictures
Aug 19, 2014, 11:25 AM
Small Point.. IF ..scale is important :-) Seemingly so, given the first paragraph was all about it

WW2 German Aircraft had taped over and Puttied panel seams almost universally,
even to the last ragged days of war production
NO RIVETS or panel lines except for operable hatches.
To restate: Absolutely No Me 262 had visible panel lines. ..or Rivets.
So much for Chinese Scale pretensions :-)
Aug 19, 2014, 12:03 PM
Imramos - glad your enjoying your Me262s. I have both also and completely agree with you, the Freewing looks way better, like it's in a different league, but take care, it will tip stall like a SOB if you don't treat it with respect!
The Dynam is more relaxing to fly, you don't have to worry about it biting you in the a$$ if you provoke it. I had just the same experience as you with the Dynam retracts, they cycled multiple times just fine on the bench, and one or other of them would refuse to come down for landing. I replaced them with drop-in substitutes from PW-RC and haven't had any problems since. IMHO the stock Dynam retracts are not fit for purpose.
Aug 19, 2014, 01:04 PM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 2
Imramos - glad your enjoying your Me262s. I have both also and completely agree with you, the Freewing looks way better, like it's in a different league, but take care, it will tip stall like a SOB if you don't treat it with respect!
The Dynam is more relaxing to fly, you don't have to worry about it biting you in the a$$ if you provoke it. I had just the same experience as you with the Dynam retracts, they cycled multiple times just fine on the bench, and one or other of them would refuse to come down for landing. I replaced them with drop-in substitutes from PW-RC and haven't had any problems since. IMHO the stock Dynam retracts are not fit for purpose.
which pw rc retracts did you get?
Aug 19, 2014, 04:41 PM
Thread OP

Freewing ME 262 vs Dynam ME 262 continued

OK. Took both ME's out and everything went great. The 6mm bullets worked great in the Freewing, but were still pretty hot in the Dynam. I mentioned earlier that I tried a 5 cell in the Dynam. Not a whole heck of a lot of difference and when I was taxing her back into the pilots box the fans sounded like they were a little ragged. We shoved the temp sensor into the back of the nacelle and read 148 degrees and we were a few inches away. I have this scary feeling the eventually I am going to lose this bird due to some sort of heat issue. On the other hand, the Freewing continues to be solid, and yes, just don't get too slow....
So conclusions:
Even in this crazy market you get what you pay for. The Freewing is considerably a higher quality product then the Dynam. The 6s system is much more efficient, the retracts have been flawless, (no jinx) and it really has a great presence in the air. That's what an extra 150 bucks get you. But, lets be fair to the Dynam people, 240 dollars for a pretty cool plug and play jet, yes it has its issues, like cooling and retracts........but Dynam's market is definetly there. And many of their other products are absolutely the best bang for the buck when it comes to foamies. Oh yah, the Freewing is about 8 to 10 mph faster then the Dynam, that's really a point with jet guys. I will be posting videos of the two jets in flight and will try and get some pics here.Name: German Fleet.jpg
Views: 520
Size: 804.5 KB
Description: My German FleetName: IMG_4869.jpg
Views: 296
Size: 1.24 MB
Description: Name: IMG_4870.jpg
Views: 303
Size: 545.9 KB
Description: The plane leading the group is a Horton BV 38, and yah it does fly...........
Aug 19, 2014, 04:59 PM
Thread OP
You would think the Dynam R&D guys must read the reviews and or listen to their retailers.......
Aug 19, 2014, 05:05 PM
Thread OP
This is what got me to get Dynam of my own. This is me maidening my buddies ME 262.
Lonnie's ME 262 (4 min 24 sec)
Aug 20, 2014, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytooslow
which pw rc retracts did you get?
It was a while ago now but I think it was their "regular size common servo-less retract with metal trunnion". If you check their website it gives full dimensions.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:22 AM
Thread OP

Freewing Pics

Name: IMG_4890.jpg
Views: 287
Size: 599.9 KB
Description: Name: IMG_4893.jpg
Views: 304
Size: 301.8 KB
Description: Name: IMG_4901.jpg
Views: 278
Size: 440.8 KB
Description: Name: IMG_4903.jpg
Views: 235
Size: 327.3 KB
Description: Name: IMG_4896.jpg
Views: 258
Size: 744.1 KB
Description:
Last edited by lmramos; Aug 20, 2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spacing
Aug 20, 2014, 04:19 PM
Thread OP

ESC and venting on the Dynam

Name: IMG_4885.jpg
Views: 410
Size: 312.4 KB
Description: Name: IMG_4888.jpg
Views: 309
Size: 205.2 KB
Description: Name: IMG_4887.jpg
Views: 270
Size: 274.5 KB
Description:
Aug 21, 2014, 06:43 PM
killickb
Not sure any of the Mfrs or retailers listen very closely, look at the concerns on the Freewing F-86 and not a peep from Freewing or Motion or any overseas retailer.

If they are listening they sure aren't bellying up to the bar with either condolences or solutions !

Like your approach to testing but pretty expensive ! You mentioned the rivets etc but personally I think they go way overboard with panel lines etc surely they can mold much finer indentations than those 1/8 wide/deep lines we see. They do seem to have the decals pretty well nailed down to scale these days.
Aug 21, 2014, 06:55 PM
Thread OP
I agree, but I think the American retailers are going to be the key, compare Banana to Motion......really no comparison when it comes to customer service. So I guess you can say they are getting better.
Aug 22, 2014, 09:23 AM
Oh no, not again!
The Dynam 262 has some issues out of the box (again, you get what you pay for). The ESC's are not up to the job, they are 50A and WOT is about 55A. Over in the Warbirds thread, most folks put in 70A ESCs and moved them to the wing, or in my case the nose, to get some airflow cooling. The gear struts are not robust enough for grass and need to be upgraded.

That said, it flies like a big trainer and has wonderful presence in the air. I love mine and it is one of two planes that I never leave without (the other is my FMS Zero).

Regards,
Jeff
Aug 23, 2014, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
My Dynam came with 60 amp esc's which considering it is pulling around 80 amps on a 5 cell, is enough head room. But you are correct about the cooling issue. As you can see in my pictures I bored 2 pretty good size vent holes and the esc's are doing ok, its the wiring that's getting hot. As I said I replaced the Deans with 6mm bullets which can handle plenty of juice. I set my timer at 2:30 and use throttle management and its doing "ok". I just don't want to poke any holes in it yet to move stuff around. BUT, I am not so stubburn as to wait until I burn her up before I move the esc's and open up some big cooling holes. I have been thinking about putting some cheater holes in the nacelles using these cool vent louvers I have, similar to the ones on the Freewing. One of the issues may be the motors working extra hard to get the air through the small intake.

Quick Reply