RCGroups Video Podcast No. 4 - Carbon Z Cub Mods

Jason Cole and Jim T Graham demonstrate their Carbon Z Cub Mods.

Splash

RCGroups.com Video Podcast

Jason Cole and Jim T Graham head to the lake and the field in this 4th episode of the RCGroups Video Podcast. We both modified our E-flite Carbon Z Cubs. These Cubs have been upgraded with the Morgan Mill Battery Tray, Castle Creations Talon 90 ESC's, and Power 60 Motors. We show how well they handle both on the water and on land. We even throw in some aerotowing just for fun. The Carbon Z Cub does it all and looks good doing it. There is also a guest appearance from the Carbon Z's little brother, the ParkZone Sport Cub. This is one action packed episode you won't want to miss.

Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel.

Look for additional Carbon Z Cub mods the future!

Here is the article explaining how to mod your Sport Cub floats.

Aug 20, 2014, 11:32 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Awesome stuff! Now I REALLY want a Carbon Z!
Aug 20, 2014, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the shout out regarding my blog to modify the Carbon Z Cub.

Below is the link:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2115976

Bill
Latest blog entry: Just want to bookmark this
Aug 21, 2014, 05:36 AM
what spinner did you use?
Aug 21, 2014, 07:01 AM
Question. Did anyone have problems mounting the tow release servo in the cub? I ordered the recommended servo and the mounting holes are not lined up for the mounting tabs in fact the mount spacing is too wide for the servo mount. Let me know thanks.

Cool idea with the velcro for small gliders.
Aug 21, 2014, 07:10 AM
RCG Admin
We both used the Eflite 2.5" spinner. I used the recommended servo for the tow release. I seem to remember it being slightly difficult to get lined up and installed due to it being tucked in under the top of the fuse a bit, but it did fit.
Aug 21, 2014, 07:33 AM
Admin Deluxe
Based on my research changing the prop the spinner solves a few problems...plus that spinner looks awesome!
Aug 21, 2014, 07:40 AM
What kv on the power 60?
Aug 21, 2014, 07:50 AM
Admin Deluxe
I posted the wrong specs - I have the Power 60 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 470Kv
Aug 21, 2014, 08:31 AM
RCG Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerchr
What kv on the power 60?
You can go either way. I went with the 470Kv motor. It will have a little more punch than the 400Kv motor.
Aug 21, 2014, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder
what spinner did you use?
I have used the aluminum Eflite but now I use a simple collet I bought at HeadsupRC. They both work equally as well. The Eflite aluminum looks better the but center of added mass is further from the motor centerline.
Last edited by Prof100; Aug 21, 2014 at 09:11 AM.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:43 AM
I'm surprised that collets are still being used on 60 sized motors. I have been using bolt on threaded studs on my AXI motors larger than 15 size.
Aug 21, 2014, 01:48 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Nice! Looks like a ton of fun!
Aug 21, 2014, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerchr
I'm surprised that collets are still being used on 60 sized motors. I have been using bolt on threaded studs on my AXI motors larger than 15 size.
It is great we have choices.
Latest blog entry: Just want to bookmark this
Aug 23, 2014, 11:04 AM
Sky Pilot
This is nice. Any update on the spring based struts that was mentioned, as where we could obtain them?
Aug 23, 2014, 11:40 AM
Admin Deluxe
I'm almost done with the review on them. You can find them at Cublandinggear.com
Sep 01, 2014, 08:58 AM
New here, where did you get the p40 style graphics?
Sep 01, 2014, 06:06 PM
Admin Deluxe
The tiger teeth came from here.
I had to shave some of the plane to get it smooth and then I painted it blue.
Dec 22, 2014, 11:44 PM
"Free crash instruction"
Well Jim, after watching the clip of Jason and yourself my power 60 is on it's way. I stuck 4 camera mounts and stripped of stickers. The floats and tundra wheels are the cat meow with this model. Yesterdays maiden was awesome but bad weather has me itching to get out and try floats. The first chance I get I will post the four angles of the maiden on water. Thanks for sharing the mods and advice around my new all around banger. Happy Holidays!
CR@SH'S Carbon Z Cub (0 min 53 sec)
Last edited by Cr@sh; Jan 09, 2015 at 06:45 AM.

Quick Reply