This thread is privately moderated by manuel v, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 12, 2018, 03:34 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
And another friendly warning is that paint will not always work because it is (1) not a thick enough insulation coating, and (2) it tends to thin out on the square shoulders of the stator arms and, for that reason, may penetrate the coating on the wire.

More info and discussion on that here and in a number of other threads here and on the power system forum:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Stator-coating

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ating-material

Here is an example of the desperate measures that some of us have been driven to, that of using Tyvek paper or Kapton paper for insulation....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-40-LRK-Rewind

Jack
The burn is not that bad.Just for a safety precaution
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2019, 02:10 AM
Thread OP

Turn calculator 8.0

This version of TC called tc 8.0 wanted to present it in the form of APP for mobile. I was saving it, but even though my son is dedicated to programming applications for mobile, (https://www.brook.health/) He does not have time to make the application.
So I've decided to publish it.
I hope you are interested and that you try it.
And above all, if there is something wrong, notify me to correct it.
Mar 31, 2019, 01:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
Looking good! Does the input have to be from a dLRK wind motor? Or dies it matter?

Jack
I have to work on this.
May 12, 2020, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel v
This version of TC called tc 8.0 wanted to present it in the form of APP for mobile. I was saving it, but even though my son is dedicated to programming applications for mobile, (https://www.brook.health/) He does not have time to make the application.
So I've decided to publish it.
I hope you are interested and that you try it.
And above all, if there is something wrong, notify me to correct it.
Excellent! Thanks for sharing!!
Jul 13, 2020, 03:07 AM

Wire gauge and turns for'small'Blue Wonder Motor

Hello....

I recently received a ' Blue Wonder' looking motor with broken leads from a friend who does not recall the specs of the motor. After removing the wires and a general clean up, I see that its built exactly like the original BW (of which I have 6) - only that this one is smaller (bell is 22 mm) and has 12 magnets and 9 'teeth'.

I need to rewind this and have 26 and 27 gauge wires ( I'd prefer 26 g as it doesn't break that easily). The Blue wonder kit doesn't include data for 22mm can blue wonder.

Could someone please advice about the no. of turns (Y termination) and whether I can use 26 gauge wire? A pic of the small BW along with my recently wound BW motors
Last edited by bmblb; Jul 13, 2020 at 03:15 AM.
Jul 13, 2020, 07:41 AM

I think it's a Turnigy 2211

Some searching threw up the Turnigy 2211 on the HK site. From the images I am able to verify/confirm the number of magnets and teeth are the same as the one I have - it's a 19gram motor.

EDIT: from gobrushless/tools I could see the suggested termination as ABCABC for 9 teeth and 12 magnets

I was wondering if I should try with 26 or 27gauge wire with as many turns I can manage...

EDIT 2: wound it with 27 g wire, 10 turns(can do 2-3 more) in Y. I got 45W with a 5*3 on a 3S.....will try on a 6*3 soon

Any inputs on this greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Last edited by bmblb; Jul 13, 2020 at 11:35 AM.
Jul 13, 2020, 11:58 AM
The number of turns you put on will determine the Kv. Did you count the number of turns when you unwound it before the rewind?

What are the dimensions of the stator? I have some similar looking motors from Hobbyking and they are 1806-2300Kv. - iow 18 dia x 6mm stator.
Jul 13, 2020, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar
The number of turns you put on will determine the Kv. Did you count the number of turns when you unwound it before the rewind?
Actually no...since the leads were broken, my friend tried to remove the wires and then just balled it up....it came to me quite messy

Let me get back with the dimensions... the can is 22mm if that helps to start with

Edit: stator dia is 18mm/ thickness is 5.5mm or 6mm
Last edited by bmblb; Jul 13, 2020 at 12:48 PM.
Jul 13, 2020, 02:24 PM
Hi Bmblb

Scorpion is your friend : look at the ref S 1805-2250
Stator 9N12P
14 turns teminating Y, wire = 1 strand of 0.425 mm diam
Kv =~ 2250 rpm/V
Product Kv turns =~ 2250 x 14 = 2250*14=31500 in Y
If stack height is 5.5 mm or 6mm you can compensate on the product by x 5/5.5 or 5/6 (lower Kv)
Louis
Latest blog entry: Scorpion Calc
Jul 13, 2020, 02:44 PM
I think I have the same motor as you. The stator is 18dia x 5.5 or 6mm, but the model number is 2211-2300. See picture below.
Here is the Hobbyking link. It is out of stock now.

You can try using the Turn Calculator to determine the number of turns need for 2300Kv.
Or do a test winding and measure the Kv using one of these methods, and then calculate the required number of turns for the stock 2300Kv.

Edit: Even better, follow Louis Fourdan's advice above.

The winding scheme would be ABCABCABC for this 12-pole 9-slot motor.
Jul 14, 2020, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdan
Hi Bmblb

Scorpion is your friend : look at the ref S 1805-2250
Stator 9N12P
14 turns teminating Y, wire = 1 strand of 0.425 mm diam
Kv =~ 2250 rpm/V
Product Kv turns =~ 2250 x 14 = 2250*14=31500 in Y
If stack height is 5.5 mm or 6mm you can compensate on the product by x 5/5.5 or 5/6 (lower Kv)
Louis
Thank you Fourdan - this information is really useful. My test wind was 10 turns with 27 gauge wire and on a 3S with 6x3 prop, it gave me 45 W at WOT. I am guessing the Kv to be much higher than desired considering the thinner wire and fewer turns. I am wondering if a 3S will harm the motor in anyway as the specs included in the link shared by Skyar specifies 2S with 6x3/7x4 with a max wattage of 72W.

With 27 g, I could manage another 2-3 turns but with a 26g, I wonder if Id be able to get past 10-11.

(Another thing - 0.425mm is 26 AWG, 27 SWG and 27 BWG - I am assuming A=American, S=Standard and B=British....I'd have to measure it to verify what I have)

Nevertheless, I appreciate your inputs - I have a 3-4 larger motors to wind and will reach out after figuring out the more information on these
Last edited by bmblb; Jul 15, 2020 at 01:01 AM.
Jul 15, 2020, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar
I think I have the same motor as you. The stator is 18dia x 5.5 or 6mm, but the model number is 2211-2300. See picture below.
Here is the Hobbyking link. It is out of stock now.

You can try using the Turn Calculator to determine the number of turns need for 2300Kv.
Or do a test winding and measure the Kv using one of these methods, and then calculate the required number of turns for the stock 2300Kv.

Edit: Even better, follow Louis Fourdan's advice above.

The winding scheme would be ABCABCABC for this 12-pole 9-slot motor.
Thanks Skylar.....the Turn calculator is really neat and I was going through posts #2 & 3 to understand it better. All my winds so far were because the leads broke and all have been Blue Wonders only. But I have a few other motors which I picked up just to learn......my immediate priority is measuring the Kv.....all I have is a wattmeter which measures watts, amp draw and volts. So the link above is useful.

I will post again as I have few questions on the Turn calc.
Jul 16, 2020, 09:11 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Wire thickness does not affect Kv.
The principle of the thin wire quick'n dirty test wind is described in
Re-winding and building motors, tips and tricks, checks and tests - RCG (sticky)
→ 1.16 Calculating number of winds for desired new Kv

Thicker wire, more copper, will result in higher efficiency and better power handling
Efficiency governs maximum power a motor can handle - RCG

Vriendelijke groeten, en wees voorzichtig Ron
• Without a watt-meter you are in the dark ... until something starts to glow •
e-flight calculatorswatt-metershigh power motor tips&tricksCumulus MFC

Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Jul 16, 2020 at 09:18 AM.
Jul 16, 2020, 09:21 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron van Sommeren
Wire thickness does not affect Kv. ...
Note that Kv says very little about max.power or max. current a motor can handle, or about max. torque, or propsize. A 1:1 train motor and the motor in your toothbrush or in a bedroom appliance can have the same Kv of 2000pm/volt.

Kv is the velocity Konstant, a physical property (like mass, length and speed), expressed in the unit rpm/volt (like kg, meter and m/s).

Kv is not a rating, not a figure of merit (explanation).
A Kv=2000rpm/volt motor on 10volt and a Kv=4000rpm/volt on 5volt will give same (no_load)speed of 10,000rpm, provided the motors can handle the current and power.

It's all about what the motor wants to do versus what the motor can do.
Kv matches desired rpm and battery voltage, there's nothing more to it.
  1. Want
    Kv and voltage determine how fast motor wants/tries to run
    (rpm_noload = voltage Kv, or, in other words, Kv = rpm_noload / voltage.)
  2. Current
    RPM and prop determine torque, which in turn determines current
    (current = torque Kv, in SI units!, or proportional to Kv ).
  3. Can
    Max.current and max.power determine whether that battery/motor/rpm/prop combo can run without going up in smoke.
An engine tries to keep a constant torque: as load goes up, rpm goes down.
An e-motor tries to keep a constant rpm, no matter the load: as load goes up, torque must go up, and therefore current goes up.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Without a watt-meter you are in the dark ... until something starts to glow
e-flight calculators watt-meters diy motor tips&tricks Cumulus MFC

Quick Reply