This thread is privately moderated by manuel v, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 31, 2016, 02:49 PM
Jack
More about it...

If you are not using the menus and stuff you can click on View > Full Screen and get a full screen view of just the spreadsheet cells and that will give you a more viewable version to look at. You can see all the data there and if you need to change some of the yellow blocks for data entry press Esc and the menus will come back.

LibreOffice is a free download and I like it. I have not had to use any of the M$ apps to use Turn Calculator and am happy about that too.

Jack
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2016, 02:53 PM
Thanks Jack. I renamed that 7.1.txt file to .xls, but it still asks for a password when I want to unprotect the worksheet.

Must be an Excel security thing. Last resort will be to install Open Office on my Window$ 8 PC.

Christo
Last edited by Skylar; Apr 01, 2016 at 01:27 AM.
Mar 31, 2016, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
More about it...

LibreOffice is a free download and I like it.
Busy downloading Libre Office...

Christo
Mar 31, 2016, 03:51 PM
Edit: Managed to get it to work in Excel.

Christo
Last edited by Skylar; Apr 01, 2016 at 01:26 AM.
Mar 31, 2016, 04:54 PM
Thread OP
Last edited by manuel v; Mar 31, 2016 at 11:29 PM.
Mar 31, 2016, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel v
Skylar.

download this file.
Thank you Manuel.

It works perfectly now.

Christo
Mar 31, 2016, 11:30 PM
Thread OP
Youre welcome.
Jul 18, 2016, 12:59 PM
Thank you, Manuel and jackerbes.

Ineed it for a "Dornier Merkur", which has 1.72m wingspan and only 1.7kg including radio and all electric equipment. The motor the constructor used in former times is a Turnigy with a P out of approx. 350W and an APC 10x5" used.
I try to use an EMH motor which I once bought as a mistake (as a beginner). It has Kv1450 and a P in at 5s of 700W (its a boat motor, as I know now). Reduced to 3s current will be greater, but it is possible, as I know from others. Even if the current is greater, it has a P that is less 700W, like 550W P in. This will be an P out of less than 450W, I suppose.
The motor is bigger than needed, but weight is also needed in front, and my thought is that it go slow using a slowflyer prop of a bit bigger size (11x3.7", no problem because there is much space). Therefor I need a re-winding and a Kv500. That's the story, any mistake?

At the moment I'm ill and so can't measure nor get the motor, which is inside the laguage Ieft at my mothers house. It's a pity, but true for the next two month I suppose.
Last edited by Alexandreij; Jul 19, 2016 at 12:33 AM.
Jul 18, 2016, 03:35 PM
Jack
If you choose the APC 10 x 5 Thin Electric prop at this link you can see it's useful RPM range as demonstrated in static testing:

http://www.flybrushless.com/tools/thrustCalc

As you can see you don't need to get that prop much over 10,000 RPM (it's recommended max RPM is 14,500 RPM).

Your 1450 Kv motor on 3S would have a no load RPM of about 17,835 RPM (12.3V x 1450 = 17835). So you would not really want to use it at more than half throttle or so and should avoid more than 3/4 throttle because of excessive RPM.

As far as the power the prop needs you can see that here:

APC E 10x5 - www.flybrushless.com/prop/view/40

Up at 10,000 RPM on so that prop has an input power of 300W or so and a thrust of over 1000g. So even though your motor and Kv are a bit mismatched if you use the throttle gently I think you'll find that you will have more than enough power to get a steep climb even at lower power levels. The wing loading on gliders is very favorable to that. I think you will find it climbing well at 1/4 or 1/3rd throttle.

If you want to rewind the motor later to have a Kv that is better matched to the prop you can do that of course. But you could also fly it as is as long as you go easy on the throttle and avoid more than 3/4 throttle.

Quite frankly, I think you will find it a little terrifying at half throttle or so and depending on the glider and it's condition, you may even be at risk of over stressing the wing.

Jack
Jul 19, 2016, 12:51 AM
Thank you, jackerbes.

The planes used often today, in my opinion goes too fast. Most reason IMO is the kind of building and the material used.

The plane I mentioned goes very slow, as I suppose, it has a huge space and is a plane using a pylon and .31m rectangel area all over the wing.

You're right, I think. Overstressing the wing is not the case, cause it get 4 double-holmes, two have balsa over total length between the stringer.

But I wanna re-wind this motor and try to use it, if not with this plane, with another. In my home country there is a developement I don't like: use more and more ARF models going fast. Re-Beginners, like me, don't have a profit from that. And looking to the motor development, they are soaring driven or warbird driven, but not slow flying. 70% are soaring, the rest are speeders, warbird fans or otherwise "speeding". Only a few are going not very fast, and they have no lobby there. Using a slow flying model, like mine, is "out". That's my impression.
Last edited by Alexandreij; Jul 19, 2016 at 12:57 AM.
Jul 19, 2016, 06:00 AM
Jack
So your plane is a glider with a pylon mounted motor over the wing? I think of the Dornier Merkur as a vintage passenger monoplane with the motor on the nose.

But it sounds like you are not one of the youngsters addicted to speed. And that is a good thing for older airplanes. If you went with the 11 x 3.7 prop you would slow things down a little bit and actually have as much or maybe even more thrust working for you. The thrust stream would be a little larger in diameter but moving a little slower and you'll start getting that majestic looking climb you can see only in a big glider.

Have you flown motor gliders? It is very interesting and quite different from regular airplanes. As the throttle goes up and speed increases the nose of the glider comes up too unless you roll in some down elevator.

For timed climb glider events some like to use an on/off switch and link the elevator and throttle servos so that as the power comes on the elevator goes down. They usually want the steepest and fastest possible climb but only for 30 seconds or so. So with the short run the prop choice changes as the motor can be overloaded for the brief climb and then it will not run again.

Jack
Nov 09, 2016, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
Turn calculator 7.2 in first post.
Nov 12, 2016, 07:24 AM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel v
Turn calculator 7.2 in first post.
Manuel,

What application are you using to create the *.xls files in the TC zip? And when you save a file is there a choice you makes as to the type of file it is?

I am still using LibreOffice 5 for all my interactions with your spreadsheets and that is working fine for me other than a couple of small details. When I open a spreadsheet with Calc it is protected and I have to go to the Tools menu and enable sharing in order to be able to save an edited version.

I am trying to turn this protection thing off and that is why I am asking this question.

When I save a spreadsheet file now I am saving it as a Microsoft Excel 97-2003 format file with a *.xls extension.

Jack
Nov 12, 2016, 12:10 PM
Jack
Disregard my questions Manuel, that is working perfect and I was trying to do something that I did not need to do or even should have been trying to do.

Just for info, when you open the 7.2 spreadsheet with OpenOffice or LibreOffice Calc, the yellow cells can have entries made to them, as is necessary to describe your motor, but all the other cells are protected so you cannot enter anything to or change the values in the white cells.

I must have been having a brain fart when I thought I was having a problem with it.

Jack
Nov 12, 2016, 04:51 PM
Thread OP
The only data that one needs to put in excel is the yellow blocks.
All others are fixed data or calculated data based on the data fed.

Before I did not have the program protected, I spent a lot of time accidentally feeding some green or white blocks or any other and then destroying excel.

That is why they are now protected.
It is for the sake of the user.

Quick Reply