This thread is privately moderated by manuel v, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 31, 2015, 08:55 PM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnesbitt
I don't understand the turn calc. If I knew the wire length value, I wouldn't need the turn calc.
Also, I've been catching up on my studies. It is in fact true that if the turn doesn't cross the prior, it is only resistance and contributes nothing to magnetism thus reducing efficiency.
Manuel has given us motor rewinders a number of useful tools in the versions of Turn Calculator he has given us. TC 7 is his latest version and it does all the things the earlier versions did and more.

I have not used TC 7 yet but have made a lot of use of TC5 and TC4. In looking at TC7 I realize that I could probably use some help too if I want to take advantage of all it's feature.

I have not used TC7 but will try to answer your question about the wire length.

The earlier versions had an entry box for the wire length and that would be used to estimate the length of wire needed for the different winds and turn counts. Simply stated, it gave you a convenient estimate of the length of wire you wanted to cut to start winding a phase.

Using the wire length entry was, and still is for that matter, optional. I usually just enter a 0 for wire length as I do not normally cut lengths of wire, I wind taking the wire directly from the spools as I buy it. I wind each phase from the spool and then cut the wire off to start the next in most cases.

The attached images are screenshots of the example that comes with TC7 and that same example with the example with the Wire Length and Milli ohm/ft entries changed to "0". When I did that the resist wire milliohm became 0 and Wire Length values all change to what are obviously invalid values. But all the other info there is valid and useful.

Your question about the wire length sounds like you think that is the only thing calculated by and useful in the spreadsheet. To me the real value is that it gives you the turn counts for a wide range of Kv's for both Delta and Wye terminations for three different winds (dLRK, Half Parallel dLRK, and LRK).

TC7 has added resistance of the wire in MilliOhm per foot value to the calculations and that will of course vary with the wire size and the number of turns in the wind.

I'm going to have to swap a few emails with Manuel before I make any use of the TC7. I am not sure as to how to use the data entry fields in Block 4 and Block 5 and what those blocks will do for me.

Many of the guys in this forum are deeply involved in some more advanced calculations for these motors. And I think TC7 is going to provide them with some info that is useful to them.

I am more of a simple person, I wind the motors, usually doing something that has already been done successfully before, and if the motor runs and works for me I don't worry about determining the Rm and Io values. I really only need to see the Kv predictions to choose a wind and make use of the motor.

Jack
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2015, 09:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes

I'm going to have to swap a few emails with Manuel before I make any use of the TC7. I am not sure as to how to use the data entry fields in Block 4 and Block 5 and what those blocks will do for me.

Jack
Block 4
his blog, we calculated the area in mm2 of a slot of a stator.
There are 4 data that is required.
height and width.
With the area in mm2, the blog5, tells us how many laps we can give to each of the most common wire gauges used.
Knowing the number of turns, determine the wire size and then use its resistance per foot and feed in F6.
Then the TC7 says resistencia value of the length of wire used.

The TC7 not tell me the value of Rm, which is the value of the fhase.
but it is to Star, twice the value of the wire and Delta is 2/3 of its value.

These data keychain already included in version 7.1

Manuel V.
Mar 20, 2015, 11:38 AM
event horizon
Thanks Manual V for your hard work all these years for the Turn Calc. I have a funny problem, they all stopped working. I have V4 thru V7 and when I enter my data all the Kv columns go to 0. I don't get it, this has worked for years. Any help would be even more appreciated then I already have.
Mar 20, 2015, 03:03 PM
Thread OP
Jasper Q.
your welcome.

Perhaps the problem is that one of the formulas was changed.
On some occasions files available for download are not protected.
I recommend that you re-download from the first post.
These two files are already protected and can only be changed yellow blocks.
Mar 22, 2015, 04:40 AM
event horizon
Thanks again I'll give it a try.
Sep 26, 2015, 03:36 PM
Thread OP
Turn calculator 7.1

Now,
Rm value star and delta
Instructions.
Data wire in mm.
Last edited by manuel v; Sep 07, 2017 at 10:18 PM.
Sep 27, 2015, 08:11 AM
Cubs
Excellent Manuel. I like this very much.
Jan 13, 2016, 07:35 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
I did a bit of updating and added turn calculator to
Sticky: (Re)winding and building motors, tips & tricks, checks & tests

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Jan 13, 2016, 11:18 AM
Thread OP
Thanks you very much Ron.
Jan 13, 2016, 02:24 PM
Jack
Ron,

That for adding that to a central and easily found location!

I have used all of the Turn Calculators at one time or another. At one time I was having trouble pointing to a download location that I could refer people to and I started this post in this thread. It has all of the turn calculators attached to it as files that can be downloaded:

Turn Calculators 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7.1, and Simple Turn Calculator too! - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21618814

While the latest version is the most useful and helpful, I still find myself using the earlier versions occasionally also. And if you are going to do the same wind on a motor, the Simple Turn calculator is very quick and easy to use.

If there is now another post or thread that has all of the earlier version of Turn Calculator as downloadable attachments I am unaware of it.

If you want to add a link to the above post also feel free to do so. I will maintain and update that post as along as I am still reading these forums.

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Jul 05, 2019 at 09:02 AM.
Jan 13, 2016, 02:57 PM
Manuel, Jack, It was long overdue.
I have also asked the moderators to make it a sticky.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Jan 14, 2016, 05:27 AM
Maybe more people should request to have this thread stickied?
Click Report above Manuel's opening post and select Stick this thread.

Jack, somehow I completely missed your TC compilation, I also added it to opening post. Your link does not refer to previous versions of Turn Calculator, this one does
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240993&page=26&pp=10#post21618814

I use LibreOffice (an OpenOffice derivative) and Gnumeric/Linux.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Jan 14, 2016 at 09:29 AM.
Jan 14, 2016, 09:05 AM
Jack
Whoops! I must have copied the wrong URL, that one you have there is the best one to use I think.

Jack
Mar 31, 2016, 10:51 AM

Cell widths

Manuel

TC7 doesn't display nicely in Excel on my PC. The text in some cells are cut off, but I can't resize the cells because the worksheet is password protected.

Any idea how I can change the cell widths?

Thanks
Christo
Mar 31, 2016, 02:37 PM
Jack
When that *.xls file is extracted from that *.zip file it seems to come out as a read only file.

I am using Linux and LibreOffice Calc and what I do is copy the extracted file to a working location and then I right click on the Turn-Calculator-7.1.xls file and then click on the properties and change those so that anyone and everyone has read and write permission.

When I save a file from LibreOffice Calc I always choose to save it in the Microsoft Excel 97-2003 (*.xls) format. LO Calc, as a default, would want to save it to it's own slightly different format and that makes the files more difficult to share here on the forums.

The attached file is the Turn-Calculator-7.1 .xls file with the read/write permission changed to anyone and then it was renamed to Turn-Calculator-7.1 .txt. If you change the name back to Turn-Calculator-7.1 .xls it should work for you.

From that point on if you use the View > Zoom menu you can get it to where you can see those areas that are not visible now. If you change it to 100% and have the app at full screen (not minimized) you will see the upper left area of the spreadsheet. And if you cannot see the entire spreadsheet it is because of the limitations of your monitor. A big enough monitor will allow for 100% and also show you the whole sheet.

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Mar 31, 2016 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply