Sep 09, 2014, 12:10 PM
Airlight, I like them. I see too many plain white planes (pun not intended).
Could you 'borrow' colour schemes from the F1 Teams or perhaps liveries from the old Steam Railway companies ?

Martin, did you inkjet print the foam before assembly or are you just really good with a marker pen afterwards ?

Rob
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2014, 11:00 PM
Airlight - You have been busy! Very nice color schemes.
My only reservation is that it would probably have been better to use a program that preserves the vector graphics of the original drawing, like Illustrator, rather than converting it to .png format, which shows raster effects, especially if you magnify it.
I look forward to seeing your giant scale Thumbkin.

Rob - Yes, I use an inkjet printer to print the plane straight from the plan, then just cut it out and glue it together. No markers.
Sep 11, 2014, 06:21 AM
I have just bought the kids all their folders etc for start of college and got a jumbo pack of Sharpies for a few pounds, so I will stay with a low tech colouring method for now.

Now all I need is more (some) spare time ;-)

Rob
Sep 11, 2014, 06:49 AM
Free foamie low waste plans
RobT, sorry I forgot to say good idea on the F1 colours, I'll have a look. My kids are at nursery and primary school, so not got to buy them anything yet, I have to 'justify' all my own spending. My super size sharpie pack seems to have got 'distributed' somehow though, how did that happen?
Sep 11, 2014, 07:15 AM
My local WH Smith (other pen shops are available) had these
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/sh...oduct/35133667
on special for about 4 if you bought other stuff. They are currently hidden to prevent 'distribution' ;-)
Sep 11, 2014, 07:19 AM
Only nerd in the village
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT
My local WH Smith (other pen shops are available) had these
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/sh...oduct/35133667
on special for about 4 if you bought other stuff. They are currently hidden to prevent 'distribution' ;-)
Damn, fresh out of WH Smiths here. That's quite a bargain. Some of my Sharpies are on their last leg so expect to see models with odd colours soon
Sep 11, 2014, 07:26 AM
Michael

Hmmm, sorry I can't help with that. It took the wife only a few seconds to realise why I might want 'kids' colouring pens.

Rob
Sep 12, 2014, 04:52 PM

Thumbkin 400%

Martin, I just wanted to show you where I'm up to with 'big' Thumbkin. Just playing with the light eps sheet I have, laminating it for rigidity. It really is no use otherwise, much too flimsy, but this adds weight. Using a stick glue to fix the paper, then creasing with a ruler to shape the wings etc.

The rigidity is superb once dried, and it is very much like a thin foamboard, easy to cut with a sharp knife or razor. You can see the current weight in the first pic, I expect this will be way too heavy and I'll need to strip something out, but this is a first attempt.

I'll make this a proper build log, when I get a bit further, but I hope you don't mind me adding it here for now. I don't think I've got this right just yet.
Last edited by Airlight; Sep 12, 2014 at 05:20 PM.
Sep 13, 2014, 06:12 PM
a little kid at heart
Amazing. I think i have something to do next weekend.

Bill
Sep 13, 2014, 06:19 PM
Man! That's huge! Definitely looks familiar, though. Nice job!
I'm not sure about using regular paper for covering - paper is really quite heavy, but as long as you keep it under about 80 grams it should fly. Just a question of how fast.
Martin
Sep 14, 2014, 01:33 AM
I was thinking more around 40-45g, my kit would be about 16g, then some wheels etc. I'm looking at other paper types, this was just what I had to play with. The thin eps sheet is just the roll of insulating foam you can get from a hardware store, mine weighs barely anything for the whole roll, so I'm guessing this weight is mainly the paper (EDIT: oh, and the huge lumps of blue/white tack for balance). If you lay it out flat with a weight on it flattens reasonable well, though I left mine for ages before I built anything with it. Not sure, you might be able to apply a little 'warmth' to aid the process.

Got some free evenings next week, I'll hopefully move this on a bit.
Last edited by Airlight; Sep 14, 2014 at 02:22 AM.
Sep 15, 2014, 06:25 AM
Airlight,

it looks great, no dihedral yet ? Do you have a control system and propulsion set in mind ?

Rob
Last edited by RobT; Sep 15, 2014 at 07:33 AM.
Sep 15, 2014, 07:23 AM

Help with the maths please.

Martin

I think I'm doing something wrong. I have been trying to use your formulea and was getting some odd numbers, so I have tried to put Thumbkins dimensions back into your formulea...

0.234(aw^1.5)=dh
-------------
ah

0.234(3000^1.5)=23.2
---------------

aw=50x30x2 and ah=55x30

(Sorry for the odd formatting but I struggled with the text layout)
From your plan I make dh more like 100mm.

Please help I must be missing something embarrassingly obvious!

Thank you
Rob
Sep 15, 2014, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT
Airlight,

it looks great, no dihedral yet ? Do you have a control system and propulsion set in mind ?

Rob
Not yet Rob, just getting the basic stuff cut and layed out. Only got either one of 4 Plantraco 4ch actuator Rx or a single servo Rx, probably the latter as the actuator stuff is a bit tricky for me to make work, the tiny linear servos give me less grief. Direct drive with hubsan motor and 3x2/2.5x2 GWS prop, see how it fares. Got a couple of 150 mah batteries from some S107 helis, I'll give these a go first. Going to try and get the whole thing on a 'lollipop' stick, so that it can be slid into the nose and connected up.

EDIT: Picture added of Rx, battery, servos and motor mount plate 'lash up', hopefully this will drag Thumbkin through the air sufficiently
Last edited by Airlight; Sep 16, 2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Added pics