Apr 21, 2004, 02:37 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
Thread OP

Gee Bee Z40---B&F thread

Well, I have been working on my Christmas present off and on since, well you guessed it, Christmas and I hope to maiden it this weekend, weather permitting.

I got a great deal on the kit and could not pass it up thinking I might try my AXI 4120/14 in it. After some research I found little info on coverting this plane, and now that I am ready, there are 2 others on RCU doing the same conversion...If only we had known.

Anyway...here we go...

As you can see the kit is packed well, but still there was a little damage to the LE. Heat gun, and you cant tell now.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2004, 02:42 AM
Thread OP
The one thing I knew from reading the glow threads was that the landing gear wire was weak. I debated what to do and decided to try to make some out of 5/32 Piano wire.

Using the vice and a hammer, I beat the wire into the matching shape to the original...

After installation and putting weight on it, I am not sure it is any stronger. I believe the problem is the big wheels and huge pants being mounted to the wing with one bend. I may reenforce this depending on how the maiden goes, but I am not hopeful that these will be strong enough either.
Apr 21, 2004, 02:48 AM
Thread OP
The wing halves are joined in the usual fashion, and servos installed as per the instructions.

Now to the pants. These are the various fairings that make up the mount to the wing to make it look like they are supported as the prototype. You have to make some pretty careful cuts in this very thin expoy/glass to keep from chipping the gel coat off.

Once assembled to the wing, the parts will look good in the air and flex freely in the event of a hard landing.
Apr 21, 2004, 02:51 AM
Thread OP
empenage is attached in the usual fashion using epoxy as you are adhering to fiberglass.

I used straight dowels to keep the elevator straight for alignment.

The rudder/tailwheel combo need some carving of fiberglass to get a flush fit of the rudder.
Apr 21, 2004, 02:56 AM
Thread OP
Now to the good part...

Here is the motor in the Mount from Esprit.
I really have no idea what to expect from this motor as I have never run an AXI of this size.

trying to find the center of the fuselag proved challenging, but I used my highlighter to mark it.

Drilled, and set with blind nuts on the back into the 1/4" ply already installed in the plane for you.

The last photo shows the 13x8 prop recommended....
Apr 21, 2004, 03:01 AM
Thread OP
For a change there is enough room to get the radio installed in the fuse huh?

Time to install and align the wing.

Kind of a challenge as this round fuse rolls all over the place.

I used a counter sink for the holes to remove burrs and splinter, makes a nice hole.

You then have to epoxy the bottem cover on the wing. This is a poorly thought out step. SInce there are little words in the manual, you kinda have to figure this out on your own. My advise, dont cut the edges so there is no bend in them or they just pull up. This step took 3 days of trial and error.

Oh well, next time I know.
Last edited by kepople; Apr 21, 2004 at 03:05 AM.
Apr 21, 2004, 03:09 AM
Thread OP
One of the last pain in the rear steps is installing the cowling.Not a problem if you had an extra set of hands, but alone a bit of a challenge. I aligned the plywood ring and screwed it in place.

To get the cowl centered all the way around, I devised this little stick with the proper depth that I wanted the cowl to be overlapping the plywood ring.

Still a pain in the rear to hold the plane, the ring and drill through the ply.
Apr 21, 2004, 03:13 AM
Thread OP
After another 2 days of setting throws, and playing with CG, its physically ready to fly. I have been working off and on with the dummy radial engine that comes with the kit, of course not painted. I have figured out how to do it, but it takes a while to paint. So here is what I discovered....SHarpies!

They were kind enough to release Silver sharpies recently and they work well. I will post a photo of it before I install it which will probably be after the maiden.

I did use foil tape for the metal supports for the canopy.
Last edited by kepople; Apr 21, 2004 at 03:16 AM.
Apr 21, 2004, 03:20 AM
Thread OP
Here is the poop:
Axi 4120/14
14 cp2400's
15x8 prop
43-46 amp range
CG on the 70mm mark
Sorry, dont have AUW yet.
The motor has plenty of power, I was surprised, it shoudl fly it just fine. The 13x8 prop is just not enough in my opinion.

Maiden hopefully Saturday...weather permitting

Kirby
Apr 21, 2004, 08:15 AM
Visitor from Reality
Good luck flying her - make a change from the rush of R2's being built up in the Scale forum (both of them - Page Avation kits).

Watch the landings - you might have beefed up the wire gear, but the real weakness might be under that fancy-dancy skin. If the makers didn't put any effort into the torque rod anchor blocks, you could be back at the bench soon. The Page kits - both R2 and Z - have a rear wire leg that stiffens the gear up, relying on the tyres for much of the springing, with a coil in the rear leg to handle rearward loading.

Be fun to get some of these together - a Z and an R2 in formation would be a sight to behold, even at 1/5th scale.

Regards

Dereck
Apr 21, 2004, 08:20 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Kirby, tell everyone what we've nicknamed this model

Kelvin
Apr 21, 2004, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
It had been Dubbed the "Yellow Turd" as I thought I would fly like a big heavy yeller turd. That was before I felt the thrust of this motor. Now with the unfortunate maiden of one of the other builders, I think it may need to be renamed Yellow weasle.

Kirby
Apr 21, 2004, 03:50 PM
Great looking model. I wish you the best of luck on your madien flight.

GeeBee's have always been a favorite of mine. I just started building the Model "D" Sporster. The plans came from an old RCM article and was for a .049 engine. It had about 36" wing span and 235 squares. I increased the size to 43" and about 310 sq. inches. I plan to power it with an AXI 280816 and 7 or 8 cells. It should weigh in at about 30 oz.

Ed
Apr 21, 2004, 03:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdLokken
Great looking model. I wish you the best of luck on your madien flight.

GeeBee's have always been a favorite of mine. I just started building the Model "D" Sporster. The plans came from an old RCM article and was for a .049 engine. It had about 36" wing span and 235 squares. I increased the size to 43" and about 310 sq. inches. I plan to power it with an AXI 280816 and 7 or 8 cells. It should weigh in at about 30 oz.

Ed
Ed, that looks great and the AXI should make it pretty sporty. Sure there is enough room under the hood for that thing?

I love all Golden age racers and would love to build a .40 size Travel Air Mystery ship one day.

Kirby
Apr 21, 2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks Kirby. There is more than enough room for Axi. The GeeBee even at just 43" is still quite large.

Quick Reply