Aug 14, 2014, 08:03 PM
pǝʇɹǝʌuᴉ sɐʍ I ǝsnɐɔǝq
Thread OP
Discussion

Is glow really that outdated?

I haven't been around all that long, (born in '99) and I got into the hobby about 4 years ago. I go a glow stik as my trainer, and flew that a lot, and then got a .40 profile glow plane, and have always had some glow and gas planes since. Most people at my club do. But as I look on the internet, less and less people seem to be flying glow at all. All of the youtube RC shows are either all electric or mostly electric. Aside from a few pockets of diehards still devoted to kitbuilding and running glow engines, I really don't see too much glow outside of my RC club.

Is glow really that uncommon now? aside from a few foamies and helicopters, when I got into RC my club was mostly glow. And that was just 4 years ago. Even the most dedicated glow flyers have electric planes at my club now.
All the instructing I do I do with my donated apprentice. I just helped a friend set up his foamy cessna as his first plane.

I find it rather strange, since glow has the advantage of not needing to charge batteries every flight and a properly taken care of O.S. four stroke can run for years without deadsticking once. Sure you gotta work on them, but there is fun in that too.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2014, 08:10 PM
yank and bank!!
CG of the fuel is significant
fuel delivery requires consideration (pressurized tank, muffler tap, and rattle pickup)
non rc types HATE IC planes (noise)
you can get a very capable electric setup for dirt cheap
a lot less hazmat concerns (buy lipos in country, take them to any of a variety of stores for recycling)

I wouldn't be surprised if rc plane engines are almost extinct in 15 years
Aug 14, 2014, 08:33 PM
Built For Comfort
A loaded question in an electric plane forum. Try the same question in the fuel planes forum. Fuel rules at Top Gun, no foamies either.

TP
Aug 14, 2014, 09:01 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Glow is still pretty common at my club field and all the others I visit, with gas power making up for any loss of glow power model popularity.

I like aircraft and the power system is just a way to make it fly.

To counterpoint some of the glow model objections mentioned above.

The CG shift of a fuel model has never been an issue with any of mine. You balance near the rear of the CG envelope with no fuel and fuel typically puts the CG near the front of the CG envelope. A well designed and set up model has little or no trim shift with fuel burn.

Setting up a fuel model is no more esoteric than setting up an electric model. Just takes some knowledge that can be acquired.

Gas and glow is not a significant hazmat issue. Never heard that objection before.

I predict glow and especially gas power for models will be around for a long time to come.
Latest blog entry: My 2021 event schedule
Aug 14, 2014, 09:08 PM
Welll IC is clearly in 'Sunset Stage'
Sport type IC engines are dying like flies.. there is little reason to own /use them IMO.
On the other hand IC performance can be simply spectacular.
Attended a major CL 'fast Combat' event last weekend.
Nelson .36 combat engines on 30% and an APC 8 x6 have to be experienced to comprehend
These things are blinding fast/manouverable.
Serious performances and serious flying skills.
IC may be on the way out.... but it's gonna be a V hard act to follow/equal the dedicated High performance types... despite beliefs.
Aug 14, 2014, 10:48 PM
Glow is not obsolete and it will continue to be around for a long time, but it will no longer be dominate. Glow long dominated because it was the obvious and nearly only choice. Electric has changed that. Both have their advantages and their fans. Glow will become a minority player if it is not already, but it won't go completely away for a long time.
Aug 14, 2014, 11:34 PM
Fields that allow fuel are moving farther out from the city (45 minute + drive), and the fields that are Electric only are closer for me. So glow is not popular.

But, glow is fun for me because not every one could start and tune a glow engine. I like Internal combustion engines, the noise and tuning.

Glow was fun cause you can fly WOT, land fill up and get back flying in 3-5 minutes, WOT again and again. Plus the sound of the engine winding up from a long dive was nice.

But Electrics is fun too since I dont have to drive so far to fly, and landings are much easier since you can just cut the power and glide in.
Aug 15, 2014, 12:29 AM
For me it came down to one issue. Plain and simple.
I don't like cleaning the goo off the plane after a day of flying!

Plug and play. Unplug and go home.

This is why you only see glow flyers bring one or two glow planes to the field. While electric flyers bring more.
Personally I usually arrive with a minimum of five.
Last edited by Tomahawk; Aug 15, 2014 at 12:38 AM.
Aug 15, 2014, 01:46 AM
No it's not. It has advantages over electric, and for those who put a priority on those advantages, it is preferred.

Myself, like some others, I don't care for the mess. Or the smell. But I do like the power!!

Maybe some day it will be obsolete, but I believe that will not be for a long time.

Regards
Aug 15, 2014, 02:01 AM
Gas is booming. Glow is dying. Don't confuse the two.
Aug 15, 2014, 02:10 AM
I think gas is growing also. But is it people moving from glow to gas? The smaller gas engines seem to be luring people away from glow. I am certainly intrigued by small gas engines; previously I was not interested at all

So, maybe glow is outdated. But not because of electric, but because of gas
Aug 15, 2014, 02:15 AM
You cannot have smoke on a plane if you're running batteries! unless you have a separate smoke system but that would defeat the purpose of having gas in the plane!

I personally love the smell and the smoke of gas powered rc - planes/helis/cars! They are a pain to set up and maintain sometimes but I will always have a glow powered in my collection.
Aug 15, 2014, 03:06 AM
Yes. With the power of electrics increasing and prices particularly of batteries decreasing and then smaller petrol(gas) engines becoming available glow, with it's need for relatively expensive special fuel, is being squeezed out.

Because us modellers tend to hang on to things (I still fly diesels from time to time) it will be a long time before glow is dead but it's no longer really mainstream. I can't think of a single new flier in my area in the last few years who started with the traditional .40 glow trainer. And when you learn on an electric you tend to continue with them. Then if eventually you decide you want really big stuff where electric does get expensive you can jump straight to gas.

Steve
Aug 15, 2014, 04:17 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick
Yes. With the power of electrics increasing and prices particularly of batteries decreasing and then smaller petrol(gas) engines becoming available glow, with it's need for relatively expensive special fuel, is being squeezed out.

Because us modellers tend to hang on to things (I still fly diesels from time to time) it will be a long time before glow is dead but it's no longer really mainstream. I can't think of a single new flier in my area in the last few years who started with the traditional .40 glow trainer. And when you learn on an electric you tend to continue with them. Then if eventually you decide you want really big stuff where electric does get expensive you can jump straight to gas.
+1. Glow will be around for as long as those who grew up with it as the only source of power are flying, but will become ever rarer as prices go up and noise factors limit the locations they can be used. Newcomers now tend to be electric at first, then maybe moving on to petrol as experience grows. Also in the nearish future the new glow ignition petrols could make gas a viable option even for those who fly small models and don't want to go electric.
Last edited by MattyB; Aug 15, 2014 at 05:08 AM.
Aug 15, 2014, 04:52 AM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
I ditched glow for electric when electric power became viable years ago. At my field I see less and less glow each season but an increase in gas. Go to any of the big trade shows and you'll see very few glow engines being displayed or offered for sale.

Those that prefer IC engines seem to be moving to gas. With the high price of glow fuel and the availability of small gas motors I think we'll continue to see the move in that direction. A good quality gas motor with it's low gas/oil mix has very little if any "mess" no where near what a glow engine expels.

Azarr

Quick Reply