Mass warbird launch - RC Groups
Aug 12, 2014, 06:46 PM
Head NEAT geek
Contest

Mass warbird launch

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Here are the official rules for the mass warbird launch on Friday and Saturday approx 5pm.
  • All models must be a "representation" of an aircraft that fought or trained pilots for war anytime between 1914 and 2014.
  • All models must meet the AMA Park-flyer guidelines of no more than 32ounces RTF and no faster than 60MPH.
  • All pilots MUST be registered NEAT Fair pilots and sport their pilots badge while flying.

Now for the kicker…. it is a CONTEST of sorts. Rules for the contest will NOT be revealed until launch-time. While flying you may participate or you may choose not to…. However, the entry fee will be $5.00 per pilot (whether you compete or not!) and the winner of the contest will be given the entire pot!

Guess all you want… I’m not saying anymore.

well... one mo' thing. IT IS NOT a demolition derby contest!
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Aug 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: carification
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2014, 06:57 PM
First off, thanks for the rules clarification - good reminder

Secondly, you say a contest, eh? Let me guess - we'll have target drones and whoever knocks out the most gets the pot (I recently saw an interesting tweak on RC combat via RCG using pink foam B-17s that looked like a blast).

Rob
Aug 12, 2014, 08:40 PM

spektrum dsm2 limitations

Tom, last year I had a terrible scare with in flight lockout that thankfully ended up with nothing worse than a destroyed fockewulf . dsm2 seems to have limit of 40 users, in a given space, with all the shenanigans going on and the eye of Sauron, I mean the faa turned on us , should we consider some kind of limits, or running a series of heats to allow all participants to go up, in a large event ?
Aug 12, 2014, 09:01 PM
Despite my guess at the contest format I do prefer my MWLs as a non-contact event

When we first started flying this event years ago it had a very cool format - Tom had us all launch then proceeded to call out a series of mass maneuvers. He'd say "low pass left to right", "sweeping right turn", or something similar. The net effect was that everyone flew the same pattern, it looked extremely cool, and we had minimal mid-airs. I wouldn't mind trying that again, especially with the number of planes we're putting up nowadays.

Rob
Aug 13, 2014, 06:59 AM
Head NEAT geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoffa
Tom, last year I had a terrible scare with in flight lockout that thankfully ended up with nothing worse than a destroyed fockewulf . dsm2 seems to have limit of 40 users, in a given space, with all the shenanigans going on and the eye of Sauron, I mean the faa turned on us , should we consider some kind of limits, or running a series of heats to allow all participants to go up, in a large event ?
Chris

The most we ever had was 44 and I DOUBT that every one of them was DSM2. I for one had futaba and I know there were at least a few more out there not to mention some dsmx's

If DSM2 is not surving less than 40, then there is nothing I can do. The whole ponit is to fill the sky once. If you you want to fly, then consider dsmx or futaba, or hi-tec, or airtronics or Taranis... or......

You should not be flying a "treasured" model in this event. Expendable is the word of the day.

The $5.00 entry fee might keep the numbers lower too!

Tom
Aug 13, 2014, 09:13 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Is this going to be a " concourse d' elegance" style followed by the meatgrinder part of it?
Aug 13, 2014, 10:18 AM
Head NEAT geek
I repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt
Guess all you want… I’m not saying anymore.
Aug 13, 2014, 03:11 PM
On the other hand, maybe he's waiting to see if a good suggestion pops up!

CD
Aug 13, 2014, 03:53 PM
Hey, watch this!
I don't know about lockouts with DSM2, but at the Joe Nall a few years back there were more than 40 Parkzone Trojans flying at the same time. The only crashes that I am aware of were mid-airs and people trying to fly the wrong plane. There is a video on You tube.

I would be in for $5.
Aug 14, 2014, 09:34 AM
AMA 1242
I am in. I have a old F-86 FREEWING to offer up to the N.E.A.T. GODS. Let the fun start now!!!
Aug 14, 2014, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt
If you you want to fly, then consider dsmx or futaba, or hi-tec, or airtronics or Taranis... or......
My t-28 will rise from the ashes to take said prize with the most sofas stick eighted multilinque hardwear

Aug 14, 2014, 10:18 PM
Head NEAT geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
On the other hand, maybe he's waiting to see if a good suggestion pops up!

CD
uh.. no.. I know what the rules are... I'm just not telling.
Aug 15, 2014, 12:19 PM

Missed it last year.....

Making reservations now and I'm in for the MWBL, $5 be damned !!

I had remmembered my video from 2012 and thought I would share:

2012 NEAT MWBL (9 min 10 sec)

My P-40 survived 2 sorties that year...I added some decals to prove it...It will be going up again to contest in the contest. Check out the stills at the end of the close calls !

Hope she survives.
Aug 15, 2014, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr600f2
My P-40 survived 2 sorties that year...I added some decals to prove it...It will be going up again to contest in the contest. Check out the stills at the end of the close calls !

Hope she survives.
My E-Flite P-47 has flown in all MWBLs except '11 when she was sidelined for repairs. I'll tell you - while it's a very cool event to watch, it's very hard to do so once you've been part of it. Let's just say I was all ready for battle when NEAT '12 rolled around

I really like the idea of the stickers - would be a badge of honor to have completed a sortee. Maybe one of us should print up a set for those that participate (and survive?) in the Friday and Saturday events. Hmmm....

Rob
Aug 15, 2014, 02:32 PM
BTW could some remind me what was the first year we had the MWBL? My mind is definitely in FIFO mode, and my buffer is getting too darn short nowadays

Rob