Leap 3D Quad Copter

Alan Szabo Puts a New Copter Through the Ringer

Splash

IRCHA News

Details are scarce, but the Leap 3D Quad Copter was on the scene at IRCHA last week. This a new receiver ready quad that includes the motors and ESC's and has two flight modes. 3D Mode will allow you to flip flop, tick tock, and fly inverted. The motors have fixed pitched bi-directional props and the programming allows the ESC's to instantly change motor direction when the throttle stick is below half, just like changing the pitch on a standard helicopter. The frame is super tough and CNC cut from carbon fiber to handle the stresses of aggressive flying. There's also LED's built in the frame that make it easier to tell orientation. Check out the video below of Alan Szabo wearing one out during a test flight.

Learn more about the Leap 3D QuadCopter here.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:35 AM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Cool but useless to post this without a price. Even the website is not ready to go live.
Aug 12, 2014, 12:58 PM
TEAM CIRRUS FPV
It looks so unnatural flying through the air doing inverted passes and tic tocs..... Interesting concept, but I don't like how the motors have to reverse direction of rotation.
Aug 12, 2014, 01:40 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Well, it's either the motors reverse or servos and variable pitch linkages need to be used. Personally speaking, I like this setup. It keeps the parts count down.
Aug 12, 2014, 02:10 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Less to break also if you hit the ground. Collective systems are a mess to deal with compared to the simplicity of this system.
Aug 12, 2014, 02:46 PM
Helli Noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13
cool but useless to post this without a price. Even the website is not ready to go live.
$469.99 msrp
Aug 12, 2014, 04:17 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Dang, I would think that since it wasn't collective pitch and just used direction reversing ESCs it would have been a bit cheaper. Can't wait till one is available for under $300.
Aug 12, 2014, 10:00 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
a little pricy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaay
$469.99 msrp
Aug 13, 2014, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13
Dang, I would think that since it wasn't collective pitch and just used direction reversing ESCs it would have been a bit cheaper. Can't wait till one is available for under $300.
The blade 200QX just got a firmware update which allows it to do 3d, and it is $229.99

200 QX Aerobatic Flight Upgrade Overview:
200 QX Aerobatic Flight Upgrade Overview (5 min 53 sec)
Aug 18, 2014, 12:36 AM
agree price seems a bit steep, I would also consider one for around $300

I would also like to see some average pilot fling one, to get an idea of what it would look like in my hands.
Aug 18, 2014, 11:42 PM
I was thinking of 200qx but it's only 3 minute flights in full acro mode. hmmm... Plus, I'm not so sure how hard it is to learn this.
Aug 18, 2014, 11:58 PM
practice, practice, practice
I hope that the Leap 3D quad comes with any cabin which gives good visibility/orientation.

cvlex
Aug 27, 2014, 05:46 PM

Leap 3D IRCHA

Check out a video of Leap3Dquad in action at IRCHA this year. This is a prototype being flown without the canopy for this model.

Leap 3D Quad (2 min 58 sec)
Aug 27, 2014, 06:08 PM

More details about the Leap3dQuad

The Leap3DQuad comes assembled and ready to bind and or link to Futaba S-Bus, Spektrum DSM, DSM2, DSMX, and also JR X-Bus. Further you will notice that the quad comes with LEDS, carbon frame, esc, motors all ready to go.

The programming of the controller lets you go from stabilized flight to full 3D flight. What is really great is that you can be in 3D mode and simply click into stabilize mode and use it as a bailout feature. So say you get disoriented just click into stabilize/bailout and your stable. Then just proceed to re-orientate yourself with the comfort of stabilization and bring it back and start again. The LED's help with orientation, and on the production models there will be a canopy to aid in orientation further.

Make sure to contact Assurance R/C for details.
562-598-4700 or [email protected]
Aug 28, 2014, 01:10 PM
Team WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockThree
The blade 200QX just got a firmware update which allows it to do 3d, and it is $229.99

200 QX Aerobatic Flight Upgrade Overview: http://youtu.be/VNr-WD3Dy0s
i own 2 blade 200qx, it's a fun to fly, little micro quad with 3d capability, but the stock body is the most fragile thing i've ever seen, so don't expect to survive to a crash, also a little one.

i think the price for this quad, considering the build quality, is very convenient. looking forward to buy one, when i'll be a sufficiently able pilot )
for now i've found some amazing aftermarket frame to put on my 200qx, and after that, i will try 3d flying.

great quad, my only concern, it's a bit bigger than my tastes, i love the micro quads, portable and light.

good work

Quick Reply